Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-24-14, 07:54 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Braid on spinning reels.

It's what I have used for years. But I have a question I would like to bring up. I know more fisherman than not seem to prefer tying a fluorocarbon leader to the end of their braided line when fishing with spinning gear. I never have. I am not sure I believe a bass is spooked by seeing braided line. Especially when using 15-20 braid which has such a fine diameter that it's practically invisible in water. Sooo, do you or don't you use a leader with braided line and why?
Old 11-24-14, 09:06 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

KD, I have been using spinning reels more and more frequently over the past couple of years, and have tried a few different line configurations. I have finally settled on 20lb braid and I tie about an 6-8ft FC leader on it. Not so much for the visibility factor, but much more for the abrasion resistance, we have the Zebra Muscles.
Old 11-24-14, 10:25 PM   #3
keithdog

We have Zebra mussels in some waters here too. But not the ones I fish yet. Would you use a leader if there were no Zebra Mussels to worry about?
Old 11-25-14, 02:06 AM   #4
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
We have Zebra mussels in some waters here too. But not the ones I fish yet. Would you use a leader if there were no Zebra Mussels to worry about?
Yes, I think I would. I like the shock absorption it provides over straight braid. I also can't prove that it helps in clear water to use a light FC leader, but I can't dismiss it either. Anymore I just keep one tied on a all times, when I am done for the day, I cut any remaining leader off and replace it.
Old 11-25-14, 09:26 AM   #5
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Besides better abrasion protection and shock absorption, I use a fluorocarbon leader to change line diameter on the water. I carry 4lb, 6lb, 10lb and 14lb fluoro diameters switching between them as conditions change. Drop speed of very light jighead/plastics can be changed with different leader diameters, as well as where in the water column and how fast that presentation can be fished. I think fishing pressure can determine how "line shy" a bass (or walleye) is, but don't you think for a minute that they can't see a 10lb diameter PE line... of any color. Catch rates have improved for me many times after downsizing my leader diameters from 6lb. to 4lb. fishing both bass and walleye.

The stiffness of a 10lb fluoro leader will greatly reduce the tendency of a walking topwater or subsurface hard jerkbait to tangle the line in the front treble hook. When I need to break off from a snag a "weaker than main line" leader will help control how much line is left behind. And the final reason to use a leader I'll suggest... it saves on cutting back your PE line.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-14, 09:23 PM   #6
mikechell

I have been fishing with both spinning gear and braided line for more than 15 years. I have proven to myself, many times, that the fish don't mind the line. I've fished rear deck with one of my friends, who always uses mono or flouro. I've pissed him off many times by catching a big bass in the exact same spot he just pulled his lure through. I won't go into WHY I think braided line is better than anything else out there, except to disagree that flouro is more abrasion resistant. I don't understand that, since I've had braid narrowed to just a few strands and still brought a fish to the boat.

I believe braid looks enough like a strand of water plant that fish don't spook from it. They might spook from sudden slack to taut jerks, but I think they'd shy away from "clearer" lines with that same jerk.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-14, 03:03 AM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I have been fishing with both spinning gear and braided line for more than 15 years. I have proven to myself, many times, that the fish don't mind the line. I've fished rear deck with one of my friends, who always uses mono or flouro. I've pissed him off many times by catching a big bass in the exact same spot he just pulled his lure through. I won't go into WHY I think braided line is better than anything else out there, except to disagree that flouro is more abrasion resistant. I don't understand that, since I've had braid narrowed to just a few strands and still brought a fish to the boat.

I believe braid looks enough like a strand of water plant that fish don't spook from it. They might spook from sudden slack to taut jerks, but I think they'd shy away from "clearer" lines with that same jerk.
If you get a chance you might take a look at this link, it has some good information regarding abrasion resistance. Compares multiple braided lines, and also compares them to Mono and FC.

http://home.comcast.net/~estero69/si...ge/_Page_01__/
Old 11-26-14, 08:24 AM   #8
mikechell

Oookaaaaayyyyy !!!
Now I understand the "abrasion resistance". And I'll stand by my braid for teh following reasons:
(1) I guess it's a good thing I don't fish in sandpaper infested waters.
(2) I fully understand the abrasion resistance of smooth materials. Braided line is like a cotton swab compared to mono or flouro. But, and here's the reason I'll stick to braid.
(3) Once the mono or the flouro IS nicked, it will separate. Braid will continue to carry a heavier load after the line starts to fray. Braid frays ... mono and flouro break.

I am not trying to change anybody else's mind. I have had enough success with braid that I will use it ... probably until my dying day.
Old 11-26-14, 11:31 AM   #9
Thornback

I don't use spinning gear, I like the bait casters, but I prefer braided line to FC or Mono. I use #40 PowerPro. I like braided because it doesn't stretch on a hook set, doesn't curl, and you or a bass can't break it.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-14, 11:52 AM   #10
Tavery5

Not trying to change your mind, just sharing information. Braid has a lot of good qualities. I think the point of the sandpaper was to try and have as close to an identical amount of abrasion on the same area of line, it would be hard to test line with another media because it may not apply the same amount of abrasion to all the lines tested.
Old 11-26-14, 11:57 AM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornback View Post
I don't use spinning gear, I like the bait casters, but I prefer braided line to FC or Mono. I use #40 PowerPro. I like braided because it doesn't stretch on a hook set, doesn't curl, and you or a bass can't break it.
I'm curious, are the waters you fish in regularly infested with zebra muscle?
Old 11-26-14, 01:13 PM   #12
mikechell

Thorn, I like bait caster, too, for large baits, for flipping and pitching and for heavy cover. But I love spinning reels for small baits and for skipping a Sticko (BPS brand "Senko) up under docks. I can skip a Sticko all the way to the bank with a spinning rod ... and never have a backlash.

We don't have Zebra mussels ... but we do have barnacles and oyster beds.
Old 11-26-14, 01:33 PM   #13
OkobojiEagle

Quote:

You're such a Neanderthal!

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-14, 03:01 PM   #14
Thornback

This Neanderthal has never seen a zebra muscle. Yes a spinning rig will do better on light lures. I like a spin caster for light lures. Also no backlashes. The only snag I might get is on a sunken stump, a sunken limb, or if the bass runs under my aluminum boat. But a mudfish or pickerel can bite my line in half.
Old 11-26-14, 03:55 PM   #15
mikechell

Quote:
But a mudfish or pickerel can bite my line in half.
I've never had that happen on braid. I used to lose fish with mono all the time. I didn't like the stiffness of flouro, and only tried it on a couple of rods for a year.

One of the things that leads me to believe braid is stronger, even when knicked, than either of the other two ... is how many times I've straightened a hook out pulling it off a snag. I've saved many lures by straightening hooks rather than snapping off.
Old 11-26-14, 06:06 PM   #16
Tavery5

Quote:
This Neanderthal has never seen a zebra muscle.
I think I understand now why braid may be such a good choice in the environment you fish in. In FL I would guess that you have a lot of grass, pads, primarly sandy bottoms. While in my neck of the woods you have very little grass, much more rocky, zebra muscle every where. Braid works better than anything in vegetation, and moving fish out of heavy cover. In the rocks and zebra muscle that some of us fish, it don't stand much of a chance, in fact almost nothing does, but the line that gives you at least a little relief from the little bastards is a good hard FC or Mono line.

I think sometimes we forget that it is very different environments that we fish in, and what works well one place may not be the best choice for the other.

Anyway thanks for sharing.
Old 11-26-14, 08:27 PM   #17
Thornback

If you don't think a mudfish or a pickerel can bite through #40 braided line then stick your finger in their mouth
Old 11-26-14, 10:32 PM   #18
mikechell

Thorn ... sharp scissors still won't cut if the blades are tight together, but they'll slice yout fingers to the bone.
Fish teeth will slice you to the bone, but they don't fit together like good scissor blades.

I am not arguing. I know that sharp fish teeth can cut through line like a knife, if the line drags across it just right. But I, personally, have never had it happen to me. And I've caught some pretty large pickerel, some huge gar and some very heavy Bowfin (mudfish).
Old 11-27-14, 09:41 AM   #19
Thornback

Interesting. Many times when I have a mudfish up to the boat hanging on my line and I am trying to remove the hook with needle nose pliers and the mudfish is thrashing it will cut my braided line. And every time I go fishing I trim off about three feet of line and re-tie the hook. The mfg of braided recommends you tie only a Palomar knot.
Old 11-27-14, 10:29 AM   #20
keithdog

So from what I see here, bass seeing the braided line isn't an issue for using a leader. Rather, there are extenuating reasons for using a leader. Whether it be an abrasion issue, or using the line as a shock absorber, and so on?
Old 11-27-14, 10:35 AM   #21
mikechell

I am not arguing the fact that braid frays. And anything can be cut if caught on a sharp edge. I have a pair of thick leather gloves ... well, the thumb is covered with thick leather. I lip mudfish, gar and pickerel with them. What cuts the line is the sawing effect when they thrash around. Grab them and they can't thrash.
Trust me, a good leather glove allows you to lip all but the largest of fish.

No matter what kind of line you're using, it's always advisable to retie. And it's usually advisable to cut back 12 inches or so when retying.

I've got some reels that have 5 year+ old line on them. I would never do this with mono or flouro. The only reason I change the line with braid, is when reties have reduced the line too much for my liking.
Old 12-01-14, 12:44 PM   #22
Captmikestarrett

The leader is used in the Chesapeake Bay by every LTJ guide and fisherman. Say about 2-3 feet of 20lb flouro for those convict bass. Why is it needed if you are fishing 50 feet down with almost no visibility ???

Well the answer is not what you all have stated. Not abrasion, not shock, not stealth..

It is so the guide or fisherman does not cut his hand on the braid when controlling the fish at side of the boat to release it. We are talking 10 to 30 lb convict bass here.

Capt Mike
Old 12-01-14, 02:28 PM   #23
mikechell

I've heard of that. I've also heard of people casting big spinning reel surf rods with braid ... and cutting the hole tip of their finger off.
Old 12-02-14, 10:00 AM   #24
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I've heard of that. I've also heard of people casting big spinning reel surf rods with braid ... and cutting the hole tip of their finger off.

As you load the rod on the forward cast the line slips as the drag slips. It cuts the finger just like butter. You need to crank that drag down before the cast and loosen it after the cast.
Or use a cannon..

Makes a loud snap sound if loaded up right.

Capt Mike
Old 12-03-14, 12:29 PM   #25
joedog

I use spinning gear frequently, ya us Northern boys.

I think this was a great thread and I do understand Mike's and Tavs thoughts and ideas.
I also totally understand Mikechell thoughts.

Now the only input I have is that if you do fear a bass seeing the braid you can take a 'Black Sharpie' and run it along the line like 5-6 feet at tie end and if your water has any color at all it is even stealthier than flouro.

Personally I don't think they do but I don't fish many gin clear water bodies.
But I do ALWAYS color my braid regardless, old habits are hard to stop.
I know many an angler who fish nothing but braid.
I on the other hand I am so anal I have different lines for every technique I use, which is many, and I can honestly say that I'm not sure it makes a difference. Different types, weights, colors....you name it.

My goal is simply to INCREASE my chances cause I've seen almost every technique, lure, reel, rod, line catch fish.
I've even seen fish strike anglers floats.

It's all about confidence.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.