Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-27-10, 03:22 PM   #1
Dshow28
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Trust your oiler?

Ok, so how many of you folks trust your oilers and how many of you unhook them and mix in the tank. It's a nagging fear I have everytime I'm on the water. The guy who had my boat before me had the variable speed oiler removed and replaced with a straight 50-1 oiler. Well the alarm doesn't like the new oiler and when I'm idling out of a long cove, no wake zone, ect.. the no oil alarm sounds. The constant crying wolf by my alarm doesn't really help out with my fears.
Dshow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 06:36 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have an Optimax, so there's no trust involved. It's the only way it will run.
Old 09-27-10, 09:24 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would take it to a shop if it were me man. I ain't and never claimed to be a mechanic. But if it does this more than once............Something is WRONG.
Old 09-28-10, 08:38 AM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My first few boats were oil injected and with my mechanics recomendation I ended up removing the oiler from my '89 Tracker and mixed the gas everytime I filled up. I never had a problem and she ran like a champ until I sold it. Atleast when you mix your own gas it gives you a little peace of mind so you can relax and concentrate more on fishing!
Old 09-28-10, 10:45 AM   #5
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have an oil injected 2002 90hp Mercury OB and with a 20 gallon gas tank I like to keep filled I wouldn't even consider a disconnect and manually mixing. I don't know the stats on oil injector failures, but mine is working and if it ain't broke, I'm not 'fixing' it.
I think this is paramount to someone with a four stroke worrying that the oil pump might fail....but I'm no expert by any stretch of my imagination.

I would say that if your alarm goes off as what you think are false alarms, I'd have it looked at as they just might not be false - perhaps some adjustment needs to be made or your sensor is outta wack.
Old 09-28-10, 11:26 AM   #6
fishbone
BassFishin.Com Member

I read somewhere that when oilers were first offered, one of the manufactures used a plastic gear that was prone to failure. The others all used metal. The plastic was not used after a rash of failures, but it seems the fear is still with us.
That sounds like a reasonable story to me.
fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 12:15 PM   #7
Dshow28

I talked to the guy who had the boat before me and he said the alarm going off in long idle situations is due to the different type oil pump, and that he checked with his mechanic and they said it wasn't a problem. However, I still mildly freak out when it happens.
Dshow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 12:44 PM   #8
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

I had my oil alarm go off twice this spring...I could visually see the bilge area tank was full as well as the res on the powerhead. I couldn't take the worrying that the oiler might actually fail when I may think its a "going bad" sensor...plus with one kid in college and 3 more behind her still in school...I know I can't afford another motor for a few years.
I had a local shop remove the metal rod/with gear end, and I now pre mix.
I do use more oil than before but, the piece of mind is well worth it.
BTW..the shop did tell me I had one sensor going out but the oiler was working perfectly...I have that rod saved in case I decide to fix the sensor when I decide to sell the boat.
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 08:19 PM   #9
mike234

Over 3 years ago before I retired a young man that worked for me had raked and scraped to save enough for a new bass boat. He had the boat for 3 or 4 months and while running down the lake his engine locked up. Come to find out his oiler had stopped pumping oil to the engine. The motor was still under warranty but the company would only rebuild the engine not replace it. I was never in the boat but he told me later that it ran alright but did not seem to have the accerlation and top end it had before the oiler failed. Knew for sure top end was less by speedometer.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 09:42 AM   #10
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Know several guys with older motors that have this on their mind every time they start their motors. Simple solution is mix 100 ta one blend in tha tank. Won't effect performance and gives ya enough protection ta save tha thing in case it does fail...........jmo
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.