Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-12-11, 10:36 PM   #1
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Dig IN Shallow Water Anchors

I was thinking about getting a powerpole but they are so expensive. I was wondering if you guys have ever heard of Dig In Shallow Water Anchors before? I know they are manual but that wouldn't be bad if the price was right. What do ya'll think about them? Does anyone have any?

http://dig-in-anchors.com/

Thanks
Old 02-12-11, 10:45 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

jcw, I don't own one, but I can't imagine them not working.

They're basically a power pole, minus the power.
Old 02-12-11, 10:54 PM   #3
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Great Link. I am really thinking about getting one of these. The only issue I could see that may suck is lugging around an 8-12' fiberglass rod. That would look funny on the deck of the boat during a tournament.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 11:08 PM   #4
CMorg

Not to mention you have to decide what size pole to get. A 10' pole is 158$ to ship...
Old 02-12-11, 11:21 PM   #5
jcw1503

I know. I would want a 10 or 12 foot, but the shipping is crazy
Old 02-13-11, 02:09 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

I wonder how well it would work on harder bottoms?
Old 02-13-11, 09:51 AM   #7
walkeraviator

the only issue i see is based on physics. With a power pole or talon, you have the entire weight of the boat to help penetrate the bottom. With this system, it is just teh weight of the person pushing down through the sleeve mounted on the boat. It seems as though the pole is free to move through the sleeve instead of having a way to secure it.

BUt I love the idea of having it on the front of the boat for river fishing.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 10:30 AM   #8
CMorg

While ive never seen a powerpole or talon in action , I have seen them drop on tv shows. And they do not appear to have much a$$ behind them when they drop. So , I do believe a person could push the pole on the manual system down with at least as much force. I could see where the pole not being "locked" in position could be interesting. The boat will still be able to move up and down and the bracket maybe could dig into the fiberglass pole over time. Otherwise , I am still about to order one , just need to figure out what size would best suit me. I know you are obviously usually in shallow water when you anchor , but how shallow ??
Old 02-13-11, 10:57 AM   #9
keithdog

That looks like a great idea. I can see it being easily used on my lakes where the lake bottoms in shallow water tend to be soft bottom. I'm also thinking I could maybe make my own after a trip to Menards for a lot less. hmmmmm
Old 02-13-11, 11:53 AM   #10
CamG

I can see it working well in soft bottom situations. But, most of the places I fish would have rock or hard clay bottoms. Just don't think it'd work real well.

I'm quite sure you could build your own for much, much less.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 12:38 PM   #11
bamabassman

hmmmm, i can get my brother-in-law to make me a couple. aluminum rods instead of fiberglass. but my question is this. say it is very windy, your rig is gonna rock back and forth, how stable are the mounts? i mean, won't it wallow out the screws over time? will it ever break off, the mount i mean? hmmm, interesting none the less.
Old 02-13-11, 12:45 PM   #12
screwballl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I can see it working well in soft bottom situations. But, most of the places I fish would have rock or hard clay bottoms. Just don't think it'd work real well.

I'm quite sure you could build your own for much, much less.
agreed... a simple steel bar with a sleeve in it, 1" galvanized steel pole cut to length by the local hardware store and just leave it snugged against the top side of the boat when not in use.

I have plans for something along these lines for my jon boat
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 01:24 PM   #13
CMorg

All good questions , I think you could even ask about the mounting of a powerpole too. Where is our resident engineer when we need him ??
Old 02-13-11, 01:48 PM   #14
CMorg

Cheaper ? Better ?

http://www.skinnywaterproducts.com/anchor_pole.htm
Old 02-13-11, 01:57 PM   #15
nofearengineer

I was thinking about these poles, and figured there could be a problem.

A power pole actually pushes the pole down, using the weight of the boat, instead of using just the weight of the pole, like the unpowered ones.

I'm not so sure how well they would hold in waves, even small ones.

Would still be interesting to try.
Old 02-13-11, 04:43 PM   #16
bamabassman

ok bryce......depending on the size and weight of each person, oyu,me,kory,so on...
how much force would you make (a person) to push the pole into the ground versus the machine doing it for you?

get out the slide rule man. lol.
Old 02-13-11, 05:22 PM   #17
nofearengineer

It isn't the force required to push it into the bottom, Bama. It is the force required to keep pushing down while you fish. Unless you hire an illegal alien to keep hanging on the pole, the first wave you see will probably lift your boat up an inch and move you.
Old 02-13-11, 05:26 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

While a Power Pole uses a hydrolic motor to push the pole in the ground, and a Minn Kota Talon uses an electric motor to do the same thing. They both still have travel built into their systems to absorb shock from the waves, meaning that the boat will still raise and lower some with waves. These manual poles probably won't be much different in that aspect. However I do wonder if a guy will be able to get them to hold on hard bottoms as well as a Power Pole or Talon. Then again at a fraction of the cost, a guy could tollerate a little trouble on harder bottoms.

What I am saying is that Power Poles and Talons aren't designed to keep a boat from going up and down as much as they are designed to keep it from going East and West so to speak. These manual devices will probably be about the same in that regard as long as you are able to get the pole stuck in the ground.
Old 02-13-11, 05:35 PM   #19
pro reel

I talked to a guy on another forum that has the skinny water sytem. He has one on the front and one on the back. He keeps the poles in the rod locker until he wants to set up in shalow water. He says that using both of them works great even in a light chop. None of the systems work good in strong winds and heavy waves. If the boat is in waves, it lifts up and then slams down on a power pole. If you use them in those conditions they can blow the hydraulics. All of these systems are designed to hold you stationary in relativly calm water, light current or light chop.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.