Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-31-09, 08:49 AM   #1
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Line Unravels

Call me stupid, stupid, stupid. I even watched Kevin's video on spooling a spinning reel. Here's the picture - chuckle if you must. I put on new 17# BPS Flourocarbon yesterday. On the first cast the line jumps off like an over-wound slinky. Funny to watch, yes; but frustrating too. So what happened? I know I've seen posts about this but I can't figure out what words to use to search the forums. Sorry..........stupid again. I'm respooling all my reels this year to match the type of lures I'll be using. I can't afford to go thru lots of line to do this. HELP!! And, thanks!
Old 03-31-09, 09:11 AM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think the first thing is I wouldn't put 17lb Flouro on a spinning reel. I don't go over 10lb. Second, try using some KVD line and lure conditioner on it, that will soften it up a bit. Third, what size spinning reel is it? I know some guys like small, light weight ones while KVD uses large 40 series (heard at seminar) to help with the line jumping off.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 09:51 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I think the first thing is I wouldn't put 17lb Flouro on a spinning reel. I don't go over 10lb. Second, try using some KVD line and lure conditioner on it, that will soften it up a bit. Third, what size spinning reel is it? I know some guys like small, light weight ones while KVD uses large 40 series (heard at seminar) to help with the line jumping off.
I second that!

That lines really heavy for a spinning reel, and also try KVD line conditioner. If you're wanting to the light lures in to heavy cover, than go with some braid!
Old 03-31-09, 10:54 AM   #4
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Did use KVD line conditioner before I got the slinky-move. Can I put braid on a spinner? What is the max line weight I should use on a spinner? Thanks
Old 03-31-09, 11:00 AM   #5
JB

You may want to check to see if you put the line on backwards, usually a spinning gear turns on way or the other, check to see if the spools label is up and the line is going the same direction as the spinning cast.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 11:05 AM   #6
cassidyta

The max line should be on the specs of the reel itself. Braid can be put on a spinning reel, but I personally don't like to.
Since braid has a much thinner diameter to lbs test, you might find that you can put a much heavier line on. This can strip out your drag and even break your rod if they are not rated for that weight.
I am not saying that you did either of these, but when I have had line issue on a spinning reel it has usually been one of two causes.
1) I put too much line on
2) I put it on too loose
Old 03-31-09, 11:10 AM   #7
Scott McGehee
BassFishin.Com Member

flouro is very slick and will do that on a spinning reel. It takes a little getting used to.
Scott McGehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 12:24 PM   #8
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
^
^
^
^
This is your answer!!!

30-40# Braid will have an 8-10# line diameter and will work fine. Back it with some 8-10# mono. Use a Double Uni knot or similar to attach an 8-10# Floro leader and you are good to go!
Old 03-31-09, 01:22 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Most likely, your problem is the line if way to heavy. for spinning reels, I'd definately follow the line recommendations. so if you're reel gives you capacity for 6, 8 and 10 lb test, I wouldn't use more than 10. If you want heavier line on a spinner reel, either get a bigger spinning reel (probably a 4000 size), or use braid. I use 10-20lb braid on a spinning reel, but you should be able to use 30-40 without any problems. Using braid on spining reels also greatly reduced line twist issues. I'd recommend Sufix Performance braid.

BB
Old 03-31-09, 01:55 PM   #10
aikenyounggun

a trick to make it less springy and twisty is after you put in on free spool it and walk all the way to you neighbors yard or wherever you are so all the line comes off...... then recrank it up.....

if confusing: short and simple..... after spoolin up walk all the line off and crank it back on
Old 03-31-09, 03:02 PM   #11
islandbass

It is not you and you are not stupid.

The line's diameter comes into play on spinning reels (bass sized). The greater the diameter, the more of tendency the line will want to come off of the spool especially fluorocarbon. That is the nature of the line.

FC line can jump off of the spool of a spinning reel as you have witnessed. There are ways to counteract this. Use a line of lesser diameter. As a rule of thumb, going with line greater than 10# mono with a bass-sized spinning reel increases the potential for exactly what you experienced. You can choose a line of lesser diameter which braid offers as already mentioned, or you can put less line on the spool and if you have a Shimano reel, you can actually change what is called the "line lay" of the reel to accomodate the line's tendency to want to jump off the spool.

The last option is to use a spinning reel with a bigger spool like a size 40 or 4000 spool. The downside is that these reels are what bass anglers consider as heavy because we are weight weenies.

Lines that thick like the one you chose are better suited to baitcast reels or spinning reels with bigger spools. I would highly recommend if you haven't already to try a baitcasting reel if you want to use that line if only to make you a more rounded angler. Different tools to do different jobs. I know there are those that use one reel type exclusively, and that is their prerogative, but a well rounded angler will be skilled and adept with both reel types.

It isn't hard to learn how to use one. I taught my little girl when she was 6 and after her first cast she said, "Papi, this reel is so much easier to use than the other (spinning) kind." Now all I can say to that is, "Tha's my little girl!"
Old 03-31-09, 05:17 PM   #12
bamabassman

seems like everything is covered and i agree...........YOU AIN'T STUPID. it happens to each and evryone of at one time or another. me............well it happens ALL THE TIME, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Old 03-31-09, 07:21 PM   #13
Jim80

I fished 20lb fluoro on spinning gear all last year and never had a problem with it just take your time spooling it and you will be fine and the line conditioner does not hurt at all .

Jim
Old 03-31-09, 09:28 PM   #14
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyukody View Post
Did use KVD line conditioner before I got the slinky-move. Can I put braid on a spinner? What is the max line weight I should use on a spinner? Thanks

I have gone completely to braid on my spinning reels, typically 15 lb or 20 lb. I also double uni-knot a flouro-carbon leader of 10 or 12 lb test. You will get an occasional line twist, but as long as you flip the bail by hand those twist are few and really far between. I am in total agreement that the 17 lb flouro is too much for the spinning reel. The trick to spooling flouro is let it "roll" off the filler spool in the same direction that it is being spooled on the reel; Looking at your reel spool, from the front, if it turns clockwise being wound, then the filler spool of flouro should be emptying in the same direction. That is very different than how we've learned to spool mono, but it greatly minimizes the "slinky" effect of flouro!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.