Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-09, 05:21 PM   #1
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default The advantages of tungsten?

How many of you see the advantages of tungsten, being increased feel and reduced size, to be worth the extra cost? (specifically worm and flipping weights)
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 06:03 PM   #2
Love of the Sport
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When i first switched it was night and day, but like anything you get used to it. I'm more than willing to spend the extra dough on them and have converted several people by letting them try them. Could be the time of year but i'm definitly catching more fish.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 06:57 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

Hi BassinID.. you bring up good topics! For nearly all my texas-rigging applications (worm weights) carolina rig sinkers, drop shot weights, etc.. I have made the switch to Tungsten for the very benefits you mentioned. The only area where I still use lead is with jigs, primarily because of cost. Most of us lose at least a couple jigs a day if there is a jig bite, and rightfully so. Tungsten jigs aren't cheap, so losing a couple will put a dent in the wallet. Not to mention there are very few jig companies who pour tungsten jigs. People are refusing to spend 5-6 dollars per jig right now.

I've also heard many other reasons as to why tungsten is better. One that I thought was interesting was in regards to lead worm weights. I've heard that some of the bigger bass with sharper teeth can bite down on a lead sinker and get a strong enough grip on the lead because of it's relative softness, that when you go to set the hook, the bait won't move in the fish's mouth. This sounds like a bit of a stretch to me, but I couldn't say one way or the other. They propose tungsten instead because it's much denser and won't allow a fish's teeth to get a "grip" on the sinker.

I wouldn't really have any heartburn using a lead worm weight for anything under 3/8oz. But I'll definitely be using tungsten for anything heavier, simply for the smaller size and better feel. Good question BassinID.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 07:05 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I switched to Tungstin last year as an experiment to see whether it was really as good as the hype says it is. I was amazed by how much better I could "feel" what was going on at the end of my line with tungstin. It transmitted much better than lead sinkers. Unfortunately the cost is very high. Seven bucks for a couple sinkers is hard to swallow. But I am adding more to my collection a few at a time. The smaller size also IMHO allows the lure to look more natural since the size of the tungstin weight is smaller and less obvious to the fish.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 08:18 PM   #5
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I wouldn't really have any heartburn using a lead worm weight for anything under 3/8oz. But I'll definitely be using tungsten for anything heavier, simply for the smaller size and better feel. Good question BassinID.

I feel the same way if it is under 3/8 i go with lead but 3/8 and up i use tungsten, and like others have said... better feel, more natural presentation...

Ryan
Old 04-15-09, 09:04 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It leaves less money in the wallet for the baitmonkey to spend elsewhere.

I've used like 3 brands of tungsten weights, and although they're the most expensive, I think Tru Tungsten are the best. They have no plastic tube insert for one. And they're Denny brauer [sp?] flippin' weights are a nice shape to slip through woods.

BB
Old 04-15-09, 10:16 PM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I went to the TT last year and floro line and it was like day and night for me for sensitivity. But keep an eye on the hook eye if you don't peg the weight. I have noticed heavy abrasion from them sliding. I hate losing them though because of the price. And it might be wrong, but I will ask for them back after a fishing venture if I let some one borrow some, but then again, it's hard time, hahahahaha. Call me cheap.
Old 04-15-09, 10:56 PM   #8
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
How many of you see the advantages of tungsten, being increased feel and reduced size, to be worth the extra cost? (specifically worm and flipping weights)
check out this site -- decent prices on tungsten weights

http://www.elite-fishing.com
Old 04-16-09, 12:58 AM   #9
islandbass

I am sure they are awesome, but they won't be cost effective for me. Some places I fish, I can lose 20 DS weights in an hour's time. Too expensive it that were W. It's already expensive with lead!
Old 04-16-09, 04:06 PM   #10
aikenyounggun

i only fish tungsten durin big tourneys b/c of the price..... but they do really help sensitivity..... there was a site linked on here a while back that had tungsten weights for $.99..... i think they were going out of buisiness and they werent TT weights

now saying that i do still catch a lot of fish throwin lead weights.....
Old 04-17-09, 03:12 AM   #11
islandbass

Imagine using a:

1) Loomis GLX rod of your choice
2) Braid for line
3) W for the weight.

The sensitivity of that threesome might be unfathomable!
Old 04-17-09, 08:45 AM   #12
bamabassman

i still haven't switched to tunsten. mainly because i have too many of the lead weights still. but i am going to switch as soon as i run low on the lead weights. i am eager to feel the difference in the two.
Old 04-17-09, 09:22 AM   #13
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebass View Post
I know it is really expensive but please consider what lead in the water does to children.
Old 04-17-09, 03:49 PM   #14
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Imagine using a:

1) Loomis GLX rod of your choice
2) Braid for line
3) W for the weight.

The sensitivity of that threesome might be unfathomable!
first time i used a g stick with braid i was sitting there feelin some kinda werid thing goin on with my shakey head.. then i come to me.. i was feeling the the worm being moved by the currant in the lake..

g stick's have an awesome feel but are as brittle as a match stick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebass View Post
I know it is really expensive but please consider what lead in the water does to children. I also use Tungsten for all applications and it is a major difference in feel. The environmental reasons as well are a reason to use it even if the feel was the same.
i use tungstung but i could really care less about the enviromental issues..the lead poisoning to kids is mostly from lead pipes in there HOUSE..not the minute traces we as anglers would leave in the drinking water...i personally would LOVE to get ahold of the epa weenie that brought up the lead ban idea...

i thought i would have heard this crap from those guys from the land of fruits and nuts,NOT from an east coaster..you should be ASHAMED TO CALL YOURSELF AN EASTERNER!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i still haven't switched to tunsten. mainly because i have too many of the lead weights still. but i am going to switch as soon as i run low on the lead weights. i am eager to feel the difference in the two.
in reality bama the only differance you'll notice is the fall rate. since the tungstung weight is smaller there fore it displaces less water and falls slower than the same sized lead weight..as for feel i have not felt the differance between it and lead..one of the big reasons i use it is it is hard as hell and if you bang your t-rig into as much crap as i do you'll maul a lead weight in no time..the tungstung weight will hardly be scratched up...

zooker
Old 04-18-09, 04:58 AM   #15
Lancer6

'Nuther argument for t'sten:

The smaller diameter of t'sten, weight for weight, can be a disadvantage as well as a blessing in that it may not protect the nose of a soft plastic.
My method of rigging a worm, skirt grub, critter, etc., addresses that issue AND provides another possible benefit. Here's the dealio...
Rig the weight UNpegged, add a glass bead in your favorite color (not necessarily the same as the softie's color,) and, using ONLY a rubber peg, secure the bead butted up to the nose of the worm. Now, when you do the "rise and fall" bit the weight will cause a nice "Clack!" when it makes contact with the bead. If you select the right diameter bead it will afford protection for the nose of the lure.
About rubber pegs...Many glass beads have openings that are too narrow OR too wide for the common "Peg-It" brand pegs. Either one cannot get the peg started into the bead because of the thickness of the leader/line OR the thickness of the Peg-It is insufficient to firmly lock the bead in place if it has a large channel.
The BPS brand of Peg-It knockoffs are more thinly tapered at the tip AND are thicker at the base. Most of the time these will solve the aforementioned problems.
Once in a while, if you snag and break off at the knot, a tightly pegged bead will remain on the line thus saving both bead AND $$$ weight.
Always tighten the bead/peg and clip the excess on the LURE side first. Then, carefully tug on the other end to draw the clipped end FLUSH with the glass on the LURE side. This will allow the knot to bear against a softer surface and might prevent knot failure. Following that step, clip the long portion of the peg reasonably flush and away you go.
If you're having trouble getting even the smaller tip-diameter pegs started into a bead or weight moisten the tip will saliva and "screw" it in. Some t'sten weights have a sleeve in them that makes them hard to start a peg into and that will solve the problem.
ALWAYS moisten the line when sliding a pegged weight or bead into position, especially on fluoro leaders.
NEVER...EVER...use a toothpick for pegging!

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 06:16 PM   #16
zooker

[quote=delawarebass;242683]Why do you think that you cant use lead shot in duck and goose hunting here anymore either. Not even trap ranges that are over marshes use lead in the loads anymore because it gets in the ducks and geese and we eat them. It is more than just lead weights. Do you know that just handling lead weights causes harm? I have an article I wrote that I will give you on lead , mercury, and pharmeceuticicals in our water. I live near and fish in the Potomac and know first hand what these chemicals do. I will post something for you when i get back home as I am away right now, if you like. Lead is serious, it is not a joke. Yes, lead pipes decaying are a big problem, but with an already serious problem in many areas [quote]

save it...

as a rabid water fowl hunter a founding member of s.w.a.t. and own a house 1/2 a mile from mattumamseet. i know more about lead poisioning than you think..
look around not just at the atlantic fly way but at the whole fly way picture..canada has and "un enforced" lead ban..mexico has no lead ban the virgin islands has no lead ban. el salvador and panama don't have lead bans.. remember only 25% of water fowl that migrate winter or nest in the usa..but the usa is the ONLY ONE with an enforced lead ban.why?? would the place 75% of migrating water fowl spend the least amount of time be the only place with a lead ban??..

i have hunted water fowl up and down thru the americas in 4 differant country's..believe me lead works much better than the steel we are required to use here..

zooker
Old 04-19-09, 03:50 AM   #17
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
remember only 25% of water fowl that migrate winter or nest in the usa..but the usa is the ONLY ONE with an enforced lead ban.why?? would the place 75% of migrating water fowl spend the least amount of time be the only place with a lead ban??..

i have hunted water fowl up and down thru the americas in 4 differant country's..believe me lead works much better than the steel we are required to use here..

zooker
Wow, didn't know that I was touching on such a heated issue here, but for my two cents, we may only have only 25% nesting in the states, but we do account for the majority of the hunting pressure, and lead wounds account for a big portion of the poisoned birds. I know that lead makes longer kills possible, but that seems to me to further encourage sky-blasting, hence making birds more wary.
Old 04-20-09, 03:07 PM   #18
bassnman30

1-Tru-Tungsten aren't that costly.
2-Have been pegging (tooth pick) for many years.
Sorry.
Old 05-20-09, 02:08 AM   #19
NWOhioBear
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NWOhioBear

Nevermind I was incorrect. Made a newbie science mistake!
NWOhioBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 02:38 AM   #20
BassinID

?? NWOhio, you didn't post here before the apology. ?? why the comment?
Old 05-20-09, 12:42 PM   #21
NWOhioBear
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NWOhioBear

I did post something but I edited my post It was about the density and weight per cc of tungsten vs lead and self casting weights for form fitting. I was wrong about the tungsten weight per cc so I edited the post to just get rid of it all.
NWOhioBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 02:56 PM   #22
islandbass

Well, I bought some tungsten weights only because of a relative deal that was to be had that made the price more palatable.

A typical bag of 10 ds weights costs me about $3.00 or $0.30 per weight.

A bag of 4 W ds weights (Symbol for Tungsten on the Periodic Chart) costs $5.50 or $1.38 per weight. Ouch!

Any, I bought a pack of those $5.50 weight for 50% off, which brought the cost down $0.69 per weight, still costly.

I was drop shotting a sandy bottom (on purpose) to see if this "magic" metal was going to paint me a better picture than lead. However, the #$#@$ weight fell off the line. I should have listened to my conscience and tied a knot at the end of the tag. Arrrgh!

Anyway, it is too early to tell. It wasn't the fault of the W weight. Sometimes with the thin diameter of 6# test, ds weights can slip off on occassion.
Old 05-20-09, 03:03 PM   #23
BassinID

I have been using brass drop shot weights lately, and I really like them.
Old 05-20-09, 03:22 PM   #24
Captmikestarrett

I started using brass and steel 9 years ago. Steel on a C-rig on rocky bottom was the best.

The click of it hitting the rocks called them in.

Capt Mike
Old 05-20-09, 09:44 PM   #25
Rebbasser

I switched after Lancer6 showed me the benefits. The one place I don't see the need is dropshotting. Since the bait is above the weight feel just isn't as critical IMO.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.