Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-05-12, 03:54 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Spoons for early season bass?

I've been thinking to much as usual about the season ahead. I Always remember the luck I had with lipless crankbaits. I never had a solid fallow up bait for it and think I really missed some fish I could've caught.

Which brings me to my question....

Does anyone ever cast spoons where they would've used a lipless crankbait? For example shallow grass beds.

If you never have, tell me what you think of the idea. Think it would work? I'm also kinda stumped as to what kind of spoon would work best.

Thanks for any in-site guys!
Old 02-05-12, 05:00 PM   #2
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use spoons sometimes they work extremely well i take a few cranks up let it sink to the bottom keep doing that but like fallen trees. Plus you can cast them like a mile. i never tried them on grass bed i use them around fallen trees and big boulders usually
Old 02-06-12, 10:18 AM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm not a big spoon user except for the clasic DareDevil (red & white of course) for Pike.
Bassboss, I'm thinking spoon in grass= spoon with grass! I do know there are weedless spoons though.
Most of the 'spooners' I know fish them deep with the fluttter retrieve or yo-yo retrieve.
They prefer rock or gravel bottoms.
Good luck with your challenge and some of my best days have been using a bait the 'wrong way'. Fishing other then the norm.

Hey don't forget the Moss Boss, which is a CLASIC plastic top water spoon, long before hollow body frog phenomenon. Good luck Sam!
Old 02-07-12, 09:05 PM   #4
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ever tried a suspending jerkbait over the tops of those weeds? Or a single colorado bladed spinnerbait just ticking the tops of the grass? A flat sided crank is another good option if the water is deep enough. Just a few of my best techniques for early season grass beds.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 09:26 PM   #5
bamabassman

spoons are somthing i am going to TRY to get back into more this year. points, ledges and such is where i aminly throw them. add a pork rind or worm.....let her rip. lol. i use a jigging technique mostly.
Old 02-07-12, 11:34 PM   #6
Bassboss

I know it's unorthodox, but I figure it's worth a shot right? I'd definitely use a lighter spoon so it didn't get hung up in the grass so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
Ever tried a suspending jerkbait over the tops of those weeds? Or a single colorado bladed spinnerbait just ticking the tops of the grass? A flat sided crank is another good option if the water is deep enough. Just a few of my best techniques for early season grass beds.
Tried the jerkbait last season, lucky crafts, roughs, x-raps, didn't seem to mater, never got bit. Although a tiny husky jerk got a bunch of smaller-then-john-dinks. I'll definitely try again this season though. I like the spinnerbait idea allot too! I plan on seeing how a square bills around the grass as well.
Old 02-08-12, 12:14 AM   #7
SaminVa

My son caught 2 Virginia Trophy fish last Feb. casting silver buddy blade baits onto the breaks and ledges. We used the flutter spoon as well and he caought a crappie on it a month or so ago. I've casted the silver buddy up shallow where I would fish a rattletrap and had them nail it.. ya just have to crank the speed up to keep it outta the grass & weeds
Old 02-09-12, 01:12 AM   #8
james86

A spoon is one lure I have never used. I don't even own one or know what kind to use where etc.
Old 02-09-12, 08:23 AM   #9
Top Tiger

Seldom had ledges or rock bottoms where I grew up but still had good success throwing a "Johnson Weedless Spoon" with a pork rind trailer. You could throw it way back in the lily pads and grass beds. Good for pitching around fallen trees also.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 08:50 AM   #10
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by james86 View Post
A spoon is one lure I have never used. I don't even own one or know what kind to use where etc.
Save your money... Spoons(johnson silver minnows) hit their stride in the 60's and 70's and have petered out ever since. Nowadays there are much more effective and efficient ways to fish the pads etc. ***note*** Johnson Silver Minnows and jigging spoons are entirely different baits with totally different applications......imo jigging spoons will be around and catching fish until the end of time.Name:  spoon.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  3.1 KB Silver minnow pictured

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 02-09-12 at 08:55 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 10:02 AM   #11
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

They work very well on schooling bass in the summer. I treat them like a crankbait or a jerkbait. I use a cast, retrieve pause, jerk, retrieve method. Never think about trying something, just try it. If you catch a fish or two it will start to build your confidence up in that bait and if it works for you then great but you won't know til ya try. Good Luck!

Old 02-09-12, 10:24 AM   #12
lilmule

For open water a jigging spoon or ledge spoon like a cbt 5 in or lake fork in 5 or even 6.
Due to their lift built in with so much surface area they can also be fished shallow,even as a wake bait,small bass will bust one even though same size havnt a clue why.
Stripers love a surface run spoon,use braid.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 10:57 AM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Save your money... Spoons(johnson silver minnows) hit their stride in the 60's and 70's and have petered out ever since. Nowadays there are much more effective and efficient ways to fish the pads etc. ***note*** Johnson Silver Minnows and jigging spoons are entirely different baits with totally different applications......imo jigging spoons will be around and catching fish until the end of time.Attachment 7585 Silver minnow pictured
Used to use these allot in florida. Caught my first pickerel on one. However I never tried adding a pork rind to the back of one.. I'll have to try it.
Old 02-11-12, 08:23 PM   #14
pig n jig

I use spoons a lot mainly because I fish glacier formed lakes.I like the krocodile spoon but there are a lot of different spoons out there on the market.I like white spoons when targeting smallmouth but I am not always correct.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 11:16 AM   #15
Captmikestarrett

Back in the 70's we used Johnson silver minnow and a strip of Uncle Josh red/white 3 inch rind to catch 40 to 50 LGMouth over flooded milfoil in Currituck sound. Later the Cather spoons worked better in gold. But since then salt water killed all milfoil. On my home waters the Cather gold spoon still works very well as a crank bait. But a good swivel and a two foot leader is a must.

Capt Mike
Old 02-12-12, 12:42 PM   #16
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I do not use spoons a lot but it sounds like a good idea. I think the older lures people don't pay much attention to anymore work good because they are still effective and bass don't see them near as often as popular baits such as cranks and spinnerbaits.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.