Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-29-06, 04:51 PM   #1
fatdirtycat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jig

Hey guys,
I have yet to fish with a jig. How do you fish one? All I know is that it is good to fish it in heavy cover and use a trailer. Can yall give me some pointers?
Old 01-29-06, 05:00 PM   #2
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Use a plastic trailer in water (in my opinion) thats warmer than 60 degrees.In water thats colder than 60 go with a pork trailer. The pork is slower falling.
Old 01-29-06, 05:25 PM   #3
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I usually fish a jig by dragging it or short hops.
Old 01-29-06, 10:05 PM   #4
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

i beleive theres no certain way to fish a jig. you cant go wrong any way you fish it. i like to pop it close to the bottom. get a snagless jig you can drag it through real heavy weeds and it wont get stuck.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 11:33 PM   #5
Bendersbe16

Send a message via AIM to Bendersbe16

Like the bottem of the lake i mostly fish is realyl weedy...i have never really tried a jig jsut because of the weeds..

What do u call a life dedacated to fishing?
I call it a life time well spent
Bendersbe16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 10:22 AM   #6
Joe_S.

There is no wrong way to fish it, The hardest part of fishing a jig Is being able to determine the variety of bites that you'll get, from feeling nothing to getting the rod ripped out of your hand. I personally fish them a s a crayfish imitator only, I'm feeling lazy so instead of copying and pasting, I have a few of the techniques Ilike to use on my website. www.joesjigtrailers.com just look for the techniques ppage on the left bar.

Once you catch a few decent jig fish it gets very addicting
Old 01-30-06, 10:32 AM   #7
scrap

fatdirtycat, i have yet to catch anything with a jig either. no one has said it yet, but i do believe those who jig, use a 20, 30, 40, 50, etc.,pound test line, just because they fish in the weeds, rocks, wood, etc. just something to think about. not certain of it, but i truly believe the heavy line is a key to it.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 11:59 AM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you can fish a plastic worm, You can fish a jig!
You can use heavy line if you're going to be fishing about alot of timber or rocks, but you can achieve the same results with a jig on any pound test. I use 17-20 lb test but in ponds where there aren't many sharp objects to cut your line, I can go 12-14.

The jig, depending on the weight of it, is a usefull tool to penetrate heavy structure or timber, that a normal worm wieght with a worm would'nt penetrate...go get ya a 1/2 or 3/8 black an blue and go to it!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 05:56 PM   #9
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The first problem I had with jigs was the presentation. Practice, practice, practice.

While weedless jigs are in weeds, you're fine. It's when you set the hook on a stump, that you swore was a nibble, that you can kiss it goodbye.
Old 01-30-06, 06:25 PM   #10
JB

Best advise I can give ya is to make minimal movements of the rod to keep that jig in the desire strike zone.
Many times I see anglers throw in to a desired area (stump or brush pile)
and only after a few seconds will lower their rodtip and reel up, and lift the rod, making that jig move a couple of feet.
I prefer to just let it sit after the flip, and make sure my line is tight, and just jiggle the rod tip to kinda of vibrate the jig. It usually just makes the jig flutter around in the general area, without removing it a couple of feet away.
Jig fishing takes a little more patience, when you feel that thump many times you have to wait to feel for the weight before crossing her eyes.
easier said then done, but how many times have you sworn there is a fish on there, and find out she let it go..esp. with a jig.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 10:31 AM   #11
everettvet

I became a believer in the jig and trailer combo last summer. I fished a pond fairly heavy (1.5 acres) at my dad's place and caught a 4 pound 8 ounce bass on it and a bunch of 2-3 pound fish. I realize that this fish is not huge, but the kicker is the pond was only 3 years old at the time. That made this fish kind of special to me. I just slowly hopped it along the botton out of fallen tree limbs and the fish took it and proceeded to drag me around the pond. I was in a little 2 man boat and I had a blast. The jig and pig or plastic trailer will be something that I fish a lot this year.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 11:16 AM   #12
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass
Default Jig Fishin

I too am a member of the "fishless" jig club, only because I do not use them enough. Reason #1: I can't flip or pitch. Reason #2: I don't own but three or four of them. But with that said, I am a firm believer in the jig, and I know for a fact that even the inexperienced jig user can catch them. My partner (bassintxlady) is fairly new to bass fishing and she used one recently at Huntsville state park, and caught a nice bass on a Black and Blue strike king jig. This was her first time throwing a jig, and after about maybe 10 cast's, she boats one on it. They do work, you don't have to have a decade of experience or any certain technique for using them, just keep the bait in the water and move it slowly, oh...and having fish in the area wouldn't hurt either....
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 11:24 AM   #13
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

your so right my partner....but the count on the casts is off justttttt a tad....i caught that fish on the second cast......hehehehehe.....good thing you have my memory huh?...lol.....
Old 02-07-06, 08:50 PM   #14
basstech

I use Jig-n-pig mostly in the winter. I'm not a big fan of them but do like them. I will be using them a lot more frequently than I used to simply cause I finally can feel that bite that can't be felt. I've missed so many fish on a jig cause I didn't know they were there. No "tick" or "tick---tick, tick" but this last year I've caught a dozen fish that I never felt and my line didn't move...but I knew one had picked it up. That "something was different" bite that I never seemed to get figured out until recently. I still will throw a crank if any fish can be had on 'em, and a soft plastic, but the jig is going to play a much bigger role in my arsenal.
Old 02-07-06, 09:18 PM   #15
BassAddict

I ALWAYS have a jig tied on one of my rods. It is absolutely my favorite "go to" bait. I fish one all year long. I opt for lighter jigs though. Even in summer. I will throw a 1/8 oz or 3 /16 oz. The heaviest jig I will use in most situations is 1/4 oz. I just have more luck with a lighter (slower falling) jig. Most of my bites come on the initial fall when I cast it to a log or some type of cover. It's a target bait for me. I rarely fish it in open water or deep water. I have more confidence fishing it in 6' or less around some kind of cover. Preferably wood.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-06, 09:20 PM   #16
flippin4it

When using a Jig, I'm pitchin' at shallow cover,timber and docks. I use Triline clear blue line so I can see the tick, if you feel it"your late". Practice,Practice. Use a stuot rod and a good reel.
Old 02-09-06, 12:47 AM   #17
Deacon

I love flippin/pitchin/draggin a jig. Flat out jigs get bigger fish. Dont get me wrong I have had 1/2 lbrs slam a 1/2oz jig. Also caught my biggest jig fish of 7.2. You can see the fish in my profile. I now have 2 rods set up with jigs at about 80% of the time. I have my 7'6 flippin stick. Its a heavy set with a curado and 20lb test. I use that one for 1/2-3/4 oz jigs. I have another rod that is 7 ft med-heavy set with 15 lb test. I use 1/4-3/8 oz on this setup. I agree with what mos of the guys said about fishing a jig. You cant really fish it wrong. Think about what a craw would do...how would it act. Also let the fish tell you how they want it. If you fish plastic...you can fish a jig!!! Give it try...you'll see what I mean.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 12:51 AM   #18
Rebbasser

For those that have not caught a fish on a jig: I threw one literally for years and never caught anything on it, but kept chunking one. Then that magical first fish hit and I haven't looked back-Like BassAddict I always have one tied on, often two when I am flipping with one.
Old 02-09-06, 09:12 AM   #19
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

You will often feel two distinct "tics" when fishing a jig. The first "tic" is when the fish picks up the jig......the second "tic" occurs when the fish spits out the jig. It's important, therefore, to set the hook immediately on the first "tic". Often, they occur with not much time in-between. Sensitivity and awareness are critical. Use a graphite rod and be ready at all times.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 06:50 PM   #20
pig n jig

For a change I don't have anything to say about jigs. Well so much for a worthwhile post. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 06:16 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

betueswetbass

Better watch out lettin your partner fish a jig. Did the same thing with my EX and even though I hate the ground she walks on will say she could outfish 76 percent of the guys I know when it came to fishin a jig. Damn thing is this has happened with more than 1 female I have fished with before. Females have a better sense of feel in there hands is all I can come up with when it comes to fishin plastics or jigs.

bassintxlady

keep up the good work. Wont be long till you be outsihing your pardner.
Old 02-14-06, 12:07 PM   #22
bassintxlady

if the truth be told i have absorbed all this knowledge from betursweetbass that i do outfish him on some occasions....very few but some....and i am the original bass addict so i will be fishin in the women's pro tour some day soon (said with great aspirations).....but alas i do owe all of it to my sensay....he's brought me from one dimensional to multitalented when it comes to catching a bass....lol...
Old 02-14-06, 01:12 PM   #23
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Guys, she's been watching too much TV, she has that "Never give up attitude" Her passion for the sport and love of the water, makes her a force to be reckoned with. She won't be denied when it comes to catching fish, she will keep trying new spots, new lures, and seems to constantly keep her line in the water. I cannot in all honesty take much credit for her success. She truly is a bassin gal, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear of her on the tour someday soon. But as you guys are all my witnesses...she has agreed to give me her first ranger boat she wins....
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 07:16 PM   #24
bassintxlady

i have no problem saying in writing with all these witness's on here that i indeed will give you the first boat i every win gladly sensay.....i just want the one we have now....it's my pride to be certain....but don't be so humble about how far you have brought me in fishing and techniques...it's really amazing what one can learn when not being yelled at...(ex yelled at me for 20 years)...don't let him fool you guys either...he is a very talented angler hisself....worth listening to his advice indeed...i think that's another thing i like about this forum....i am like a sponge i absorb all the information to improve my game .....so thanks to all of you as well.....
Old 02-15-06, 04:33 AM   #25
KenDammit

Mental game, mental game, mental game. How many times have you heard "confidence bait" or "its what I have confidence in..it will always produce"...theres a reason so many say it. It helps in the way you fish a lure or use a technique, everything. Confidence is everything and I believe a lot of people psyche themselves out over a jig like its some kind of mystical bait. Truth be told, I find it to be one of the absolute easiest baits to work....you can't go wrong with it! You don't have to use just a crawfish trailer, it doesn't have to be worked just on the bottom..you don't need to have timber or rocks or anything else to target, it will work in just about any situation I've ever come across. Its all in the confidence you have..I know that when I get caught in a negative mindset, I usually further the fish drought because I don't give the lure enough of a chance...I'm constantly wanting to reel in and re-cast.

Anyway, enough of the rant..fatdirtycat, just don't be afraid to experiment, do what your gut tells you to do. Swim a jig, drag a jig, hop it along the bottom, shake it in place, yo-yo it back to the boat or shore, whatever you feel the urge to try. Whats been said about the bite is true..and there is a whole lot of variance in bites, depending on how you're fishing it. It can go from a crushing blow to a gentle tap to almost nothing...that part is based on feel and experience..but remember, hooksets are free and jigs are 2 dollars each...worth the fish of a lifetime?
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.