Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 12-24-07, 02:58 PM   #1
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default jackplate or not !

I purchesed a 1999 Javelin 17 venom powered by a 1999 Johnson 90. I got it for a great price.I have never had a bass boat, should I put on a jackplate and if so what will I gain.
The boat will do 41 mph on gps,fully loaded,full tank, two guys and factory prop.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 03:09 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sure add a water presure gauge first and drop the cash for the jack plate...6" manual it's all you'll need on dat boat..

zooker
Old 12-25-07, 11:37 PM   #3
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would not invest IMO you will not get much more speed with a 90 hp to justify unless you have a porpose problem but just for speed I would save my money....Just My opinion
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-07, 12:28 AM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It won't hurt anything. I got a used 6" manual on BBC for pretty cheap and it added ~5 MPH or so.
I just looked a bit and see guys hitting mid 50s with the same set up on a 20 pitch prop.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-07, 06:57 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I can personally vouch that a j/p will help on the boat. I am currently running a Tidecraft with a 94 model 90Rude and before putting the plate on her best I could get was 46. After the plate and some careful dialing in I got 52 outta her. Now I have done some more mods to the engine and a 55.6 is the best to date with a stock20p Raker. Gonna go ahead and send the Raker in and get her bal/blueprinted and I will report back later with the findings. What you will see happen with the jack is she will get up on plane easier. You may have to ventilate the prop. I dont know what u are running right now. Also with the j/p she will behave alot better on rougher water. There isnt alot of speed increase but with a good prop and the jack over 50 for your boat should be no problem with 1 person and loaded. With 2 people and loaded expect around 46 or so.
Old 12-27-07, 09:38 PM   #6
WTL

I will relate my feelings on this matter this way:

I also sometimes post on a dodge ram forum. Of course I am much less involved there than I am here. Those guys over there! Man, there isn't a modification they arent in favor of! Gears, true dual exhaust, headers, rockers, new throttle bodys, new trannies, lifts, tires, rims; its all one big orgy of unnessesary spending. Quite often someone asks the question "should I get (insert modification here)?" and then you have 20 or 30 replies saying hell yeah!

But all those things cost money! Some of them cost lots of money! Money that can be used on gas, repairs for things that actually go wrong or money that can be spent on their children.

So this is very much a cost analysis question based on how much you make and whether or not the money you would spend on a jackplate would not be put to better use elsewhere. How many lures could it buy you? How much gas that can be put towards a great trip? Or towards a bike for your kids, or something for the wife... Only you can really decide.
Old 12-27-07, 10:30 PM   #7
zooker

brother love..
as with all kind of things that move..performance cost money how much money are you willing to spend??

weather it be a jackplate on a boat or a super charger on a hemi. there really is only one thing that matters.. that is to bring out as much hidden performance from your baby as you can afford..

nuff said

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.