Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-22-06, 03:12 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default buying an used boat

I am looking to buy a used bass boat. This will be a starter boat for me. It is a 1989 Stratos with a 150 Mariner engine. I think engine and boat are same year. I have seen the boat and the hull is in good shape. It has a flasher on the dash and eagle graph on the trolling motor (65lb minn kota, fairly new). Give a list of stuff to check and I will compare it with the list that I have come up with. Thanks for the help!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 05:35 PM   #2
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

BOAT: Electrical Systems Live Wells, Nav lights, Bilge Pumps, Batteries, Circuit Breakers, Instrument Panel/Gauge's Check All Wiring, look for broken wires, check to make sure the circuit breakers are funtioning and check for bad connections. Check Batteries for corrision on all cables and battery posts. (take a battery meter/tester if you have one) Make sure to get a Fire Extingusher is there is not one, buy a new one anyway.

BOAT: Structural Integrity - Inspect the ENTIRE hull for obvious areas of concern. Check the steering system, ie. cables and wheel, should turn freely. Look for current tags/registration docs. Check the throttle assembly for proper feel - Foward and Reverse. Take the boat out for a test drive if possible. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used boat without taking it on the water first.

MOTOR: Test It!!! Stick the ear muffs & garden hose on it and crank it up. Pre mix oil or injection system. Ask for any and all repair/maintenance documents etc. Inspect the prop too. A bent prop can ruin your day.

TRAILER: Wiring, Wheels, Hubs, Tires, Lights & Jack - Check them all.
I realize you cannot see every inch of wire, but take your time and check everything you can see or get at.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 06:19 PM   #3
everettvet

Thank you for the great information. A local dealer has the boat and I am taking it out next week for a test drive. I will print your message and take it with me so I don't miss anything. I am very fired up about this boat, but I will try to remain objective. That is why I am taking my wife (who does want to get a boat) and a friend. My wife's birthday is in a couple of weeks and she said to a friend that it looks like she is getting a bass boat for her birthday. It will cost me in the end with my wife, but that's ok!
Old 02-22-06, 07:31 PM   #4
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

how much is the boat and is the motor a 2 stroke
Old 02-22-06, 08:19 PM   #5
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i bought my boat without test driving it first..i was fortunate there were no major problems..had it 6 yrs now.the wife said"make sure it's what you want cuz you ain't getting another one for at least 10 years...4 more years till i get a new gambler..
Old 02-22-06, 08:22 PM   #6
bass kicker

you will have fun in 4 years lookin for another boat
Old 02-23-06, 09:37 AM   #7
everettvet

Not sure if the engine is 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I will find out next week when I test drive it.
Old 02-23-06, 11:18 AM   #8
betursweetbass

The motor is probably from the late eighties too, or early nineties....most likely a 2 stroke as well.....will probably have a seperate oil reservoir in the back next to the fuel tank.....good luck buddy....and hope you catch a ton your first trip out....be safe and enjoy it.
Old 02-23-06, 12:10 PM   #9
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady
Default woman's point of view...

if it has a jack plate your probably okay but even so check around this area for cracks and wear from the heaviness of the engine....if it has storage boxes in it feel around inside for dampness and if there's carpet check the seams where it's attached to the boat if you can lift this area up it may have gotten wet if so find out why?...look under the console at the wireing there...see if any shortcuts have been made that might cause you problems later....i'm not an expert on these matters but this is what i would check out if i were buying it....i would also check the rubber trim on the outer edge for separation....okay that's all i can muster up ....lol...
Old 02-23-06, 12:31 PM   #10
betursweetbass

"Good Call, my young padiwan"
Old 02-23-06, 12:33 PM   #11
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

thank you.....i learned from the best ya know....lol....
Old 02-28-06, 03:15 AM   #12
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Be sure and get a compression test on all the cylinders.
Old 02-28-06, 07:31 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Well everett how did things turn out buddy. Got those numbers yet?????
Old 02-28-06, 01:06 PM   #14
everettvet

I ran into a problem. I was suppose to test drive it tomorrow, but I have to work. My business partner is on jury duty starting at 9 am in the morning and he could be gone for a while or not. I will not ask them to hold it for me. It could be 2-4 weeks before I could drive it. My wife (who is really cool about this stuff) and I discussed it and we will put that money aside and maybe we can match it again next month and get a much newer boat. Everything happens for a reason. I have gone 34 years without a bass boat and another month or two won't kill me (I don't think). I will not forget the advice of everyone and I appreciate it very much. I will let you know a progress report and you will see a picture posted when I get the right boat for me!!!!!!! Until then I will stick with my little bass hound 10.2 and I will have alot of fun with that little boat. The plan is to get it out tonight and get it cleaned up. If by some luck, my business partner is done with jury duty early (2-3pm), I will put that boat in my dad's 1.25 acre pond. The weather is suppose to be 60-70 for the next few days. I will try and post some pics of the pond at some point. I am very proud of it.
Old 02-28-06, 09:48 PM   #15
bass kicker

have you thought about getting an aluminium bass boat they are pretty good and are a little cheaper on the pocket book

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.