Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-12, 10:42 AM   #1
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass boat carpet

Hey guys, I think I have decided to build out my deck and install speakers. While doing this I figured I might as well replace the old carpet (20 years old!). I am on a budget, and was wondering if anyone has replaced their carpet with not boat carpet, but outdoor rug carpet from Menards, Lowes, etc. It is a hell of a lot cheaper, and I think it will do the same job. Has anyone done this before? Or have any suggestions about it?
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 11:28 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes about 25 years ago,put indoor outdoor carpet on my 14 ft thundercraft,was cost induced even back then.Looked good as I had the nicest putting green out on the water,wasnt as bad as it sounds had a lt green boat to match.
Carpet has come a long way now available in other than turf,goes on same glue,its your boat if it has 20 year old carpet will be a definite step up.And its practice wouldnt want to cut twice and measure once with boat carpet.
You can make the deck ext out of chipboard or plywood(basically a box) then cover with carpet,many dont need to be anchored down just slide in place,place a lid and hinges on it (extra storage),if anchoring simple L bracket as no bottom needed.It was an old boat I added a deck ext to it merely with four L brackets2 from rod locker,2 on other side and plywood with carpet across no end,served me well for about 5 years when I sold it.Brackets were under it not seen did not look bad but it is extra holes.Box type is easier to remove.well suited for speakers and less unsightly if one does remove.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-13-12 at 11:57 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 12:33 PM   #3
IUbass

Totally agree Rog, Im drawling it up now and getting all the materials together, when everything is ordered or bought I'll post a build page and keep you guys updated.
Old 05-13-12, 12:34 PM   #4
IUbass

Would you just suggest a water proof varnish to cover the wood?
Old 05-15-12, 10:44 AM   #5
IUbass

Well, as I promised, I am going to start a build picture. I wish I had the whole day today to work, but I wont be able to start until about 6.

Anyway, yesterday I tore out the front carpet and here in a bit I'm going to get the back ripped off. Scrapping is somewhat easier than I thought, probably because the glue is 20 years old. But, it still is time consuming. I went with a sander after I scraped off most of it, and that seems to help out a lot. The speakers come in today. Hopefully by tonight I can get the deck built, and start to cover some of the lids. Tomorrow Ill install everything and carpet most of the boat.
Old 05-15-12, 10:47 AM   #6
IUbass

Heres some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8877.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	7898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5827.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	7899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8404.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	7900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7357.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	7901  
Old 05-15-12, 06:39 PM   #7
coachpurdy

I bought some carpet at Lowes, works great, matched perfect and a cheaper price than what was at the boating dealerships. I think you will be happy with it. I need to replace some hinges on the boxes of my boat, so if you or anyone knows where I can get some let me know.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 06:44 PM   #8
bassboogieman

Hatch hinges available at Cabela's. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Alumi...h-All+Products
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 06:46 PM   #9
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.teamcandomarine.com/eshop...ccessories.htm

Tons of hinges and other hardware here, too.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 06:50 PM   #10
coachpurdy

Thanks guys,
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 10:15 AM   #11
IUbass

Well guys had some progress. As you can see the box is all done. I bolted the 2x4s to the boat, and that is one big lid for space underneath. The speakers are in and wired up.

The carpet was easier than I thought. The only thing that sucks is waiting for it to dry . It was way easier to cut than I thought, I was afraid my lines wouldnt be straight, but they are. The only think I have trouble with is the corners on the lid, and the deck, they wont stay down, and I dont have a ton of clips or things to brace it with. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg
Views:	1317
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	7905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6841.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	7906  
Old 05-18-12, 02:26 PM   #12
lilmule

Set a cinder block(king of cheap fixes) on it after applying,remove next morning.
Looks good speakers on a slant however will get a tad more moisture during rains etc.Im sure they are rated but water resistant and water proof are two different things.
And just about anything you would treat wood with makes the glue not want to stick,do it inside afterward.Really all thats needed is furring strips reduces weight,but that is surely sturdy as for liking it only one that matters is you.
I would have used treated wood and smaller lighter version(ripem in half) yet I like it.
Another cheap fix for the alum type hinges is a pop rivet gun.
Purely illustration as each boat is larger ,smaller,wider and needs are different.
For the tucked under corner raise the lid glue and set anything of weight on it cinder block,visiting relative that wont move in the next 6-8 hrs etc.

no clamps needed
Inside this one made of a piece of old furniture are L brackets securing it to floor.

While actual boat carpet not bad overall for a hatchet job.

Different boats different problems yet all can be overcome with Ky windage or hillbilly engineering.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-18-12 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-18-12, 05:48 PM   #13
IUbass

Thanks Rog, I wish my doors were that easy! they are just hollow on the inside (making an L shape edge) so the carpet has to go all the way around, but John had a good suggestion and said to use 2x4s and put weights on those. Im gonna try that! Ill let yall know how it goes!

Regarding the speakers, I figured they would get some damage, but they are only 30 bucks so if they last me a season I'll be happy. I just didnt want them at 90 degrees. I didnt want them straight up, or facing straight across. Hopefully I will be able to hear it better.
Old 05-18-12, 06:44 PM   #14
lilmule

Yes any flat surface that will cover the area with weight,agree sometimes its cheaper to replace something than buy expensive and possibly have to replace as well.,inside edge you can actually screw it as wont show.Or metal 45 cove to make the corners look custom.
As for the job-well done considering funds and expertise,agree on the angle as well for sound-I do however draw the line myself at sub woofers,or hooking up a few strings of led lights going every which a way,blinking on and off to the beat.
I have seen more trailers and boats with more lights on than paris landing launch ramp,generally in truck-trailer matching colors.
Lastly I would like to know the choice of sound to sooth the savage beast?
Ps when done take a spin and post make model of boat,motor,rpms if setback with jp etc and prop many would like to have that info available if running more or less same thing.Doesnt matter what top end is its how you set it up for handling etc that counts.Gives an area the average guy can hope or shoot for.
I also run an 86 17 ft hydrosport with 89 yammer 150 hp , 4 in jp, 2.6 25 M prop 62-65mph gps as 2/1 gr,and a 1990 allison 2002 ,150 1994 franken rude,10 in hydraulic bobs jp,28 et chopper,L2 gearcase, 76-80mph gps,so nothing fairly new.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-18-12 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 01:18 PM   #15
IUbass

Will do, Dont have a good GPS right now so I might be a little off on the MPH. Finally got the good corners done and they are all drying right now, sad thing is I will be gone until next Saturday at the Big Ten Baseball tourny. So I wont assemble till then. But Ill keep ya posted
Old 05-23-12, 08:26 PM   #16
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am so gald my little bit of advise helped oyu out man. looks great.
Old 05-26-12, 11:43 AM   #17
IUbass

Thanks man. Almost done here in Columbus. So two more lock doors and then installing. This is what it looked like when I left. It still needs a day of touching up and such, but I am just going to install everything after these doors and get back out on the water. It has been too long and I'm just itching to get out. I can do the touch ups afterword.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	May 25th 2012 109.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	7927  
Old 05-26-12, 11:50 AM   #18
IUbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Yes any flat surface that will cover the area with weight,agree sometimes its cheaper to replace something than buy expensive and possibly have to replace as well.,inside edge you can actually screw it as wont show.Or metal 45 cove to make the corners look custom.
As for the job-well done considering funds and expertise,agree on the angle as well for sound-I do however draw the line myself at sub woofers,or hooking up a few strings of led lights going every which a way,blinking on and off to the beat.
I have seen more trailers and boats with more lights on than paris landing launch ramp,generally in truck-trailer matching colors.
Lastly I would like to know the choice of sound to sooth the savage beast?
Ps when done take a spin and post make model of boat,motor,rpms if setback with jp etc and prop many would like to have that info available if running more or less same thing.Doesnt matter what top end is its how you set it up for handling etc that counts.Gives an area the average guy can hope or shoot for.
I also run an 86 17 ft hydrosport with 89 yammer 150 hp , 4 in jp, 2.6 25 M prop 62-65mph gps as 2/1 gr,and a 1990 allison 2002 ,150 1994 franken rude,10 in hydraulic bobs jp,28 et chopper,L2 gearcase, 76-80mph gps,so nothing fairly new.
Rog, next time I go home, I'll grab my dads portable gps and see what the speed is and such
Old 05-26-12, 12:07 PM   #19
lilmule

It gives one an idea is all I have gps units mounted in the boat however before spending big bucks took my handheld out.Let me know where i left at and somewhat how to get back,mouth of grassy creek is wider than main lake on Kerr(Va),easy to make a wrong turn.
Speed trip time avg speed and best speed generally available even on a hand held.
Nice overall job by the way.Just need to get it wet.
Old 05-29-12, 01:01 PM   #20
IUbass

Thought I would give you guys a quick heads up in case you are doing your own doors and having trouble. I found a good way to make them clean cut one side all the way down and the other side down to a square. the square folds up under the other side to make it clean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4132.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	7938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9480.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	7939  
Old 05-29-12, 08:20 PM   #21
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thanks man, good tip.
Old 05-30-12, 09:13 AM   #22
bassboogieman

Sneaky I think he just flipped us the bird.

Nice job on the carpet install, really!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 03:28 PM   #23
IUbass

Thanks! The update, been super busy, and ended up ripping up the front deck again. Something about it I didnt like, must be the perfectionist in me. Anyway that is drying now. Also, another tip that I was turned on to by a guy at the hardware store. HOT GLUE AND HOT GLUE GUN! It did wonders, put some on the edge along with the liquid nails and itll stick in no time. Wish I wouldve known sooner!
Old 06-22-12, 12:30 PM   #24
IUbass

Well guys been forever. Summer classes kicked in and I havent been able to log on much. The boats been done for a few weeks now. Turned out better than I thought. Any ideas on screwing the trolling motor pedal down? Just four screws should work right? pre drilled of course
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9457.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	8019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3168.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	8020  
Old 06-22-12, 01:32 PM   #25
lilmule

Looks good,ive never screwed one down as they tend to stay in place pretty much and now days using a hand control.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.