Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 09-11-10, 09:44 PM   #1
Chancho
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Smith Mtn Lake?

Hello, gentlemen. Just signed up again after a sabbatical. Anybody fish Smith Mountain Lake or any of the surrounding fisheries?

Thanks.
Chancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 10:37 PM   #2
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I fish many lakes around here with my father. Heading up to SML in the morning. You have claytor, moomaw, and there are some small lakes around as well.
Old 09-12-10, 05:57 AM   #3
Chancho
BassFishin.Com Member

Hello, BassBandit- I fish SML a lot with the club and a local weekend series. Also get to Moomaw once or twice a year. Haven't fished Claytor or Philpott yet, but hope to this Fall. Got to hit Leesville this summer when it was low water. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-22-10, 03:38 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Club is heading down to SML next month. Depending on where the bait fish are will determine how to catch them. Topwater should be on by then. If the bait are schooled shallow then it's Red Eye time!
Old 09-22-10, 07:10 PM   #5
Chancho
BassFishin.Com Member

Good luck with the tx, Dave. Lately, the fish have been stacked up on main channel ledges and deep docks. 7lber was weighed in last Sunday that came out of 15' off a ledge near CM78. Shakeyhead GP Centipede. Beckys and Bettys have a ton of shad, but the bass have stopped busting them this last week. They may start up again, but we're just hoping the water will cool enough for the pigs to move back into the creeks.
Old 09-23-10, 04:54 PM   #6
3dkicker

Don't think I'll be able to get down this year. Work late on Friday nights and it's a long trip to make. I'll pass along your info to the club.
Old 09-23-10, 07:41 PM   #7
Chancho
BassFishin.Com Member

Long trip, indeed. Sorry you'll miss this year. Some of the sacks being weighed are impressive, but those are usually the top 2 or three. The rest of the field is generating 5#s or so. If your club members can find them and keep up with them, they'll do well. For a lot of guys, though, it's been tough.
Old 09-24-10, 04:39 PM   #8
3dkicker

Seems to be the same pattern each year for our club. One or two guys slay them and the rest pick up a fish here or there and come in with 3 fish for 4-6lbs. On occasion someone will find a nice smallie too.

Got to post this......Piggy2 is back!!!

Welcome back!!! For the new crowd we had the original "pig n jig" and then came along "pignjig" which created some confusion. But Piggy1 changed to Cranebird and is lurking around here somewhere. Piggy2 stuck around for a while but took a little time off and is reborn as Chancho.
Old 09-24-10, 05:40 PM   #9
Chancho
BassFishin.Com Member

Lol Thanks for the welcome, 3d. Thought I'd mosey back after learning about the recent sad losses the site suffered. I'm looking forward to meeting new folks, seeing old folks and learning my way around the site again. Kevin has really put some shoulders on this puppy.

As far as your club, I spoke with two guys who fished SML this week. Both said they caught some nice fish off deep water points and guts on big worms like Ol' Monsters. One used GP, the other watermelon. Hope your club has a good, safe tournament.
Old 09-25-10, 09:09 PM   #10
bcklash

SML was a zoo today and windy--VERY WINDY. I think anyone with a boat on this side of the Mississippi was SML today. But it was better than sitting at home in the living shooting stink bugs with my bb gun.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.