Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-23-11, 02:56 AM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default jig vrs soft plastic

On the subject of jigs when and why do you prefer pitchin a jig over lets say a creature bait. I know certain cover a jig gets hung up more in but lets say pitchin lay downs and stumps. I’m curious.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 06:47 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For working heavy mats of weeds and thick lilly pads I prefer a slender soft plastic without many appendages such as a beaver bait because it will slide through the vegitation easier than a jig. Other than that though, I often start out with both rigged on rods and let the bass tell me what they are interrested in that day. In early spring however, when the water is very cold, I will use a lighter jig and pig combo because it has a slower fall rate which I believe is important in very cold water. Once the water reaches the mid to upper 50's I'll start experimenting with the creature baits again. Of course a creature bait rigged weightless will be even lighter than a light weight jig, but I do want enough weight to make pitchin my bait easier on casting tackle. Just not too much weight. We have a lot of weed growth in our lakes, so most of the year I am going to be working a t rigged soft plastic. But early on before the weeds start to take over, I'll be throwing a jig often.
Old 09-23-11, 08:24 AM   #3
eligolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

I throw a jig first every time out. Typically it catches larger fish and typically the larger fish will react right away. After working an area, laydowns, docks, etc with a jig, I'll switch over to a soft plastic for more subtle approach. In the grass, by popping the jig to clear the grass or just pulling it through, will generate a reaction strike.
eligolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 09:12 AM   #4
pittsburghbass
BassFishin.Com Member

So is the main reason to use a jig w/trailer as opposed to a texas rigged plastic just because the jig is better in heavy cover? What if i'm using a similar size weight on my t-rig? I've always used plastics t-rigged and I have not really used a jig head with a skirt before, mainly i guess because I assumed they were just about the same presentation. Am I on the right track or am I confused?
pittsburghbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 09:36 AM   #5
Crankbait

good points guys.....keithdog i sent you a PM
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 01:10 PM   #6
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghbass View Post
So is the main reason to use a jig w/trailer as opposed to a texas rigged plastic just because the jig is better in heavy cover? What if i'm using a similar size weight on my t-rig? I've always used plastics t-rigged and I have not really used a jig head with a skirt before, mainly i guess because I assumed they were just about the same presentation. Am I on the right track or am I confused?
Jigs are not just for fishing heavy cover, jigs can be swimmed in open water too, no they are not the same presentation because a jig has something most plastic baits don´t have ---> multiple strands of rubber or silicone that flare out when at rest and pack down when in motion, besides all those strands move when you impart action to the bait with your rod; also, by changing the size & profile of the trailer you change the rate of fall of the bait, so the presentation changes.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 01:19 PM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Relatively new to jig fishing, but went to a "sportsman's " show early this year, and bumped into some pro, and he gave me some advice. I took it. I fish jigs around lay downs, trees, working points, deep structure, ect., I fish "custom" made punch baits for tossing into heavy veg(per his advice), which is essentially a screw bullet sinker(1/2-1 oz.), skirt, Gammi EWG hook, and texasposed plastic creature bait(usually a beavertail of some sort).
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 01:56 PM   #8
eligolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghbass View Post
Raul is right on. The jig offers some different profiles while in motion and sitting on the bottom. When they swim, they are fairly compact until you stop and pop them, then the stands all flare out. Same with hopping along the bottom and dragging it. The stands move around, resembling the legs of a craw fish. And of course the trailer allows you to address different type of cover. Perhaps a smaller trailer when fishing in tight cover light trees or brush piles and a big, flappy trailer when dragging or swimming it.

For anyone learning to jig fish, I recommend any type of finesse jig with a compact trailer like a Paca Chunk. A Jewel Eakins jig in Texas Craw, with a green pumpkin Paca Chuck or Black and Blue with a Black/Blue chunk will catch fish in most places. Get comfortable with a finesse jig and then expand your jig fishing from there. That's what I did and now if I throw a jig most of the time.

This is my go-to combo and it is finesse:

Here's a more swimming or dragging type combo:
eligolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 06:27 PM   #9
skeeter1804

I tend to try to get a limit in the boat and then go to a jig to upgrade my catch with a jig.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 08:26 PM   #10
pittsburghbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Great info guys, thanks!
pittsburghbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 11:28 PM   #11
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
good points guys.....keithdog i sent you a PM
Got it. I enjoyed the videos. Thanks buddy.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.