Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-11, 05:48 PM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use a pair of fishing pliers with Tungsten Carbide cutters. They have been the most consistent for me over the past couple years. Braided line scissors work for a while, but do get dull. Regular scissors work for a shorter time and get dull. When these get dull, they don't cut clean if they cut at all. I don't really have a problem cutting the knot with the cutters that are on the side of the pliers and not in the jaw. Also, a sharp pocket knife works fairly well. I have a Buck Nobleman that slices through braid easily and cleanly.

BB
Old 09-23-11, 06:12 PM   #27
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Back to the original question, who all uses braid for topwaters....spooks and other walking baits, especially? I've been using mono, I think 15-17 pound test, but I know some use braid for this. Who does, and what's your thought process for it?
Old 09-23-11, 07:01 PM   #28
bassboogieman

I've been away, and I'll say it once again. I am not a big fan of braid, although it does have it's uses in specific applications. I wouldn't think of spooling all my reels with it, I just don't like it for a majority of my fishing. I like it on spinning gear - 20# as I hate the issue of wind knots with anything lighter. Braid works so well with spinning gear, compared with other types of line. I like 50# for hollow-bodied frogs and jigs in heavy cover. That's it. I would not throw a treble hook bait on braid for any reason, I know guys that do, and they usually go to a lighter rod to compensate for the braid's lack of stretch, not me. I don't have many rods less than MH, those few Mediums I have are crankbait specific rods or finesse spinning rods. My line of choice is co-polymer for most applications other than mentioned above, where braid is a superior performer. Bottom line is I don't "love" braid, I'm more inclined to "love" co-polymer, but I "like" it in certain, rather specific, uses.

Quote:
Back to the original question, who all uses braid for topwaters....spooks and other walking baits, especially
Daniel, I can't see a reason for using braid for topwater plugs. Frogs in heavy vegetation - certainly, but not for a plug. Braid's lack of stretch would be a problem for me with topwater plugs. I think a little stretch would be desirable with the delayed hookset, those lures require. Again, treble hooks (being short shanked) may get pulled out of a fish's mouth with braid, no forgiveness there, and I believe a bit of stretch may result in a better hookset, and keeping the fish button up, particularly with topwater. I often replace trebles, unless a bait comes with expecially good ones, and use a sweeping hookset rather than trying to hammer trebles home like you would with a heavy wire hook, like on a jig or when fishing a big hunk of plastic. As I said, I don't think using a lighter power (whimpy) rod to compensate for braid's lack of stretch is preferable to a heavier power rod with a line with a bit of stretch. To each his own, but that's my way of doing it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 11:50 PM   #29
joedog

I know the thread turned into a braid cutting thread so I'll start there, on one lanyard I carry a Bucks small pocket knife (razor sharp) and a Swiss Army similar to previous post, on another I have a small Leathermans with folding siscors and a blade I keep extremly sharp. As noted its the knots that are tuff as a posed to the braid itself, heres an idea for the times you find your self without a sissors, cut line with knife and take knot with your clippers just pinched enough to hold the knot and pull, the knot pulls a part and usually you can just pull it off. (some times you may have to do it a couple of times to get knot griped properly)...... Next, favorite braid, I use Spiderwire Ultra cast Invisi-braid. Now, I know most if not all of the braid users at one time or other have tried a clear braid and probably dissatisfied. Now invisi-braid is actually supposed to be translucent as apposed to clear. No it's not no flourocarbon but I fish extremly clear waters and was very surprised. If your in dingy water you still see a white line and theres no translucency so I usually take my black Sharpies and color a foot or so. I never use a leader with the exception when I'm in pike or musky water then I use tieable(is that a word?) wire leader or carolina rigging I'll use flourocarbon leader.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 01:54 AM   #30
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Maybe I am the only one, but personaly I hate braid in the most profound way. I use it when I need to like frogs, flippin and pitching in nasty stuff, or even buzzbaits around a lot of nasty stuff. But I absolutley hate using it. I hate how it digs in, even with heavier lb test and also with backing, I don't like how hard it is on my equipment, and I have a tendancy to rip hooks out with it as well. When I do use it I like Sufix perfomance braid the best by a landslide though.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 08:04 PM   #31
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Good to know that my dislikes of braid are not unheard of...I am slowly coming around to it, but only for the situations mentioned in the previous post.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 03:29 PM   #32
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The back to back knots you're using are probably double uni-knots. The Albright or Alberto are the knots you want though. Stronger and slimmer going through the guides. I wouldn't bother with a leader unless you're worried about abrassion like around zebra mussels.
Old 09-26-11, 10:13 PM   #33
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

for that nasty knot I use a utility knife and just change blades on occasion. seems to do the job.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.