Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-11, 02:32 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default When is it to much of a good thing?

No need to sell me on this, already a believer. But my question is can you mix and match scents. Example:take Yum dinger (F2 already treated), Vacum sealed in Bio-edge (crawler scent) and add BPS line lub (has fish attractant in it) what do you end up with, a confused bass or or bass that will strike almost anything because it's like walking into a buffet, what ever it's feeding on it will smell it. Also, bio-edge has a one year life span; dose that mean it's worthless after a year or just not as strong? Do all attractants have a life span. I was in the habit of vacum sealing my plastics over the winter months. If all attractants have a life span, is this a waste of time? Hope everyone is enjoying thier fall fishing and you hunters best of luck!.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 03:22 PM   #2
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I look at fishing scents as more of a cover scent than an attractant. So multiple products is probably overkill.
Old 09-26-11, 07:28 PM   #3
Marty

I also view scents as a way of masking odors. I doubt if mix and match makes a difference, although I wouldn't slather on a ridiculous amount. Just like if you mix colors, no matter how many, you'll end up with one color, even if it's not a standard one. Same thing with scents in my opinion.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 07:33 PM   #4
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
I look at fishing scents as more of a cover scent than an attractant. So multiple products is probably overkill.

x2 just a cover scent...
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 08:07 PM   #5
lilmule

Honestly fellas I dont think bass are like deer etc having to mask human scent,at times when timid i do think it is an additive that is use full in having them hang onto a bait longer.
I seldom use any and at times cant get a bass to let go of it,when prefishing,most or many baits now days are pre impregnated salt,garlic etc when using rubber.
So you wont find any on my boat other than spike it as a dye and garlic and for the dye,often a tail or pincer tipped with a different color seems to draw more strikes.
I only have one color chartreuse.Also hang it over the side of the boat to dip as dont like weird carpet.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 10:22 PM   #6
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

I use it but just a cloth to wipe my hands with. I get a little more concerned about gas or oil on my hands and in addition with washing my hands in the water I'm fishing. I also keep a garlic clove in a pill bottle again just to put on my hands. a little bit seems to eliminate any signs of gas/oil or PB&J's.
Old 09-27-11, 09:43 AM   #7
MIbasser

Scent is a confidence thing in my book. Much like you said taking a dog to a buffet and telling it not to eat. If you put food in it's face, it's going to eat. Much like a fish. If you put a worm, a tube, a brush hog in front of a fish, it's going to eat it. Just my $.02
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 06:37 PM   #8
Tavery5

I use them as a cover scent. Fish may not be that distracted by the smell of a human, but they are distracted by the smell of oils, fuels, detergents, cleaners, and bug sprays, to name a few. While I try to be carefull and not get this on my hands prior to fishing, who knows where you may come in contact with one of these scents or something else.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.