Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-20-11, 09:46 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default How well do you know your Reel?

How well do you know your reel and how it works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnMQErfCTao
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 10:12 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good explanation, you might want to do a follow up video at some point and explain the operation of Diawa's inductor type braking system, mag v, mag z type.
Old 09-21-11, 01:40 AM   #3
Jrob78

Good video, I liked your swivel cast video too.
Old 09-21-11, 09:04 AM   #4
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Good explanation, you might want to do a follow up video at some point and explain the operation of Diawa's inductor type braking system, mag v, mag z type.
Yeah I forgot about the Diawa’s when doing that video…… I used to have a sol but lost it. I can’t say how I feel about their breaking system…..how about you?
Old 09-21-11, 07:33 PM   #5
Tavery5

I don't fish Diawa reels enough to have an opinion on their braking system. The few Diawa reels that I have had casted fine, but I did not feel like I could find the sweet spot with the brakes as easily as I could with some of the other reels I own. Probably just a matter of personal preference or experience with the Magforce braking.

I will say this, I prefer magnetic reels for pitching and flipping and centrifugal brakes for baits that benefit from longer casts. I find it a great benefit to have a reel with both, I love the Lew's Speed Spool Tournament Pro, and the Revo Premier, two reels that both cast and retrieve very nicely. I have only used the Patriarch XT for a limited amount of time, but it appears to be very nice also.
Old 09-21-11, 08:17 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've always preferred magnetic brakes to centrifugal. Possibly because my first baitcaster had mag brakes. I've got dual brake reels and still often find myself fishing with just the mag brakes, or very minimal centrifugal.

When it comes to Daiwa reels, I've got reels with Magforce V, Magforce Z, and standard Magforce (stationary inductor) braking. As for finding that sweet spot, I do agree with Tavery for the most part.

I find it fairly easy to find it on reel without Magforce V or Z brakes. Like on my Viento, I rarely ever have to change any settings on it, even when changing lures.

I've found Magforce Z to be the touchiest of the three. With reels like my Zillion and Fuego, I make adjustments for wind, lure weight, distance I'm casting, etc.

Finally, I've found Magforce V to be a happy medium. It seems to excel at pitching (although that's likely because it is most often found on lighter, lower capacity spools like on the Sol). I don't change lure weights much when fishing my Sol, but do find it helpful to bump it up a notch when fishing into the wind.

BB
Old 09-21-11, 10:02 PM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

OH MAN! I have so much to learn!
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 11:10 AM   #8
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I don't fish Diawa reels enough to have an opinion on their braking system. The few Diawa reels that I have had casted fine, but I did not feel like I could find the sweet spot with the brakes as easily as I could with some of the other reels I own. Probably just a matter of personal preference or experience with the Magforce braking.

I will say this, I prefer magnetic reels for pitching and flipping and centrifugal brakes for baits that benefit from longer casts. I find it a great benefit to have a reel with both, I love the Lew's Speed Spool Tournament Pro, and the Revo Premier, two reels that both cast and retrieve very nicely. I have only used the Patriarch XT for a limited amount of time, but it appears to be very nice also.
I agree with you on the brakes for flippin magnetic just have a broader range….unfortunately my flippin reels have centrifugal brakes. But I too love the centrifugals for throwing my cranks. What reel do you use for flippin/pitchin? Having magnetic and centrifugal is the best.
Old 09-22-11, 11:25 AM   #9
gonefishin3

How do you guys learn all this is there a book or something??
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 02:39 PM   #10
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
How do you guys learn all this is there a book or something??
It's not to hard have u ever looked at Schematics? a?e you trying to do your own reels. i'm sending u a PM
Old 09-22-11, 05:49 PM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
I agree with you on the brakes for flipping magnetic just have a broader range….unfortunately my flipping reels have centrifugal brakes. But I too love the centrifugals for throwing my cranks. What reel do you use for flipping/pitching? Having magnetic and centrifugal is the best.
Pitching plastics is a large part of the fishing I do. I have several reels that work good for this, some of my favorites are Abu STX with dual brakes, Revo Premier with dual brakes and Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool, dual brakes also. Prior to these reels I used a old model Revo SX that I changed the gear set in to a 7:1:1 , it also has an upgraded spool, I used the infini II spool out of a new Revo. Note: If you upgrade the spool in the older model SX you will also have to upgrade your pinion and main gear, the lengths of the pinion gear are different to support the two different spool configurations.
Old 09-27-11, 01:54 AM   #12
islandbass

That is really some great footage and I learned a lot from your videos.

With regard to your flippin/pitchin videos, could you tell me which bearing(s) in the reel would I need to upgrade to get that. Mind you, I am not too technical.

Curados handle 3/16 oz pretty good stock, but to see that improve with better bearings would be awesome.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-11, 10:23 AM   #13
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

With regard to your flippin/pitchin videos, could you tell me which bearing(s) in the reel would I need to upgrade to get that. Mind you, I am not too technical.

Curados handle 3/16 oz pretty good stock, but to see that improve with better bearings would be awesome.

Thanks!
Thanks Islandbass which Curados do you have? I changed 3 bearings on my Pfluegers but you only need to change 2. The bearing in your tension knob is one. The other is the bearing in your side cover. Your bearing that supports your pinion shouldn’t have to be changed. Super tuning is the other part to truly weightless pitching…..not sure if your familiar with super tuning.
Old 09-27-11, 11:05 AM   #14
DVT Mike

Quote:

Thanks!
My advice would be to have your reels professionally cleaned and lubed and possibly super tuned before investing in upgraded bearings. Just slapping bearings into a reel won't give you nearly the same results as a thorough tune up. Let me know if I can help you.
Old 09-28-11, 03:28 PM   #15
islandbass

DVT and CB,

Thanks!

I have been mulling over whether I should super tune one of my reels to start. DVT, I'll be sure to look you up for that. CB, I have the Curados 201 BSF, 201DHSV and 101D.
Old 09-28-11, 03:50 PM   #16
DVT Mike

Quote:
DVT and CB,

Thanks!

I have been mulling over whether I should super tune one of my reels to start. DVT, I'll be sure to look you up for that. CB, I have the Curados 201 BSF, 201DHSV and 101D.
Contact me anytime.
Old 09-29-11, 01:48 PM   #17
Crankbait

Quote:
DVT and CB,

Thanks!

Thats cool you wouldn't have to get 3 bearings only two.
Old 09-29-11, 07:34 PM   #18
islandbass

Thanks, CB!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.