Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-03-11, 02:20 PM   #1
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Default ? for Braid users

What is your favorite knot for tying 2 lines of braid together?

My local tackle shop usually stocks 125yds packs and my reel holds 145yds so I figured to just tie it together about halfway on the spool or so then I'll mostly likely not know its even there. Or should I just order larger spools online? Any thoughts, tips, etc.

Thanks
Old 10-03-11, 02:24 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Put 50-75yds of any cheap mono on as a backing first. It's a great way to save money on braid. I an get spool a few reels out of a 300yd spool this way. Any knot should work as it should never see the light of day. I use the Alberto for any braid to mono/fluoro connections like backing to mainline and mainline to leader.

And buying the larger 300 yds spools is cheaper per yard. All the braid I use comes in 150yds and I can get two reels out of one spool when I don't buy a 300yd.

BB
Old 10-03-11, 02:30 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

I don't really like braid but I do use it in situations where I need it like frogs, some of my flipping and pitching, some of my buzzbait fishing, and some of my carolina rigging. Anyways in my opinion filling you reel with braid only is a big mistake. You want to use some backing to keep the line from slipping on your spool when you set the hook and backing also helps keep your braid from digging into itself which is a big problem with braid. Just buy the cheapest mono you can find, it doens't matter how strong it is or if it's got a lot of kinks in it because you will never see it again anyways until you strip your braid off your reel, but remember that the larger the diameter of the mono the more it will prevent diggin in. Spool your reel about 1/4 of the way with the mono and then join the two line together with a double uni knot ( http://www.netknots.com/html/double_uni_knot.html ) and the fill your spool the rest of the way with the braid.
Old 10-03-11, 02:45 PM   #4
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you very much for the replies. They are both very informative. I had no idea about using a backing. I've only recently started using the braid for pitching and topwater and after a little getting used to I find that I really do like it. I'll try both knots out to see which is easier for me to tie and remember.

I assume that I should keep the backing line and the braid the same, so f I am using 50lb spiderwire then I should use a 12lb mono?
Old 10-03-11, 02:56 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebars View Post
Thank you very much for the replies. They are both very informative. I had no idea about using a backing. I've only recently started using the braid for pitching and topwater and after a little getting used to I find that I really do like it. I'll try both knots out to see which is easier for me to tie and remember.

I assume that I should keep the backing line and the braid the same, so f I am using 50lb spiderwire then I should use a 12lb mono?
In my experience the heavier the mono the better job it did. If you have some old 12lb mono laying around then go ahead and use it but if not I would try and find some cheap mono in larger diameter. Berkley Trilene Big Game is a cheap mono and you can usually find it at Walmart.
Old 10-03-11, 03:11 PM   #6
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I put a layer of electrial tape over my backing - keeps braid from digging in regardless of the size line used. And, if you get a major professional over run, it will stop at the tape.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 05:40 PM   #7
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I take double the distance of my farthest cast and that’s how much braid I put on. I have 2 big surf spinning reels. after I put my braid on I put the back spool of mono on till the spool is full. Then I spool it onto the first spinning reel…..mono is covered than spool it onto the 2nd spinning reel and than on to the baitcaster. May sound like a lot of work but it’s not
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 11:03 AM   #8
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the info. I had some 30lb mono laying around so I run it about halfway on the reel (no feet counter) then I finished it off with the braid. It seemed fine but will know better this weekend after 2 days on the water. The backing concept will definitely save money on braided line.

Is the mono backing for slippage (besides cost) something needed for modern super lines or was it just better in the early days of the braid conception?

Just curious.....
Old 10-04-11, 02:08 PM   #9
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I wouldn’t make the back spooling to large. My experience with using 6lb braid was 12 lb did better as backing than when I tried 20lb Just use cheap line because that line is never meant to be seen or used
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 09:19 PM   #10
SamW
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the modified albright for tieing my braid to the mono backing and also for tieing the fluorocarbon leader to the braid.
SamW is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.