Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-11, 10:22 AM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default love of braid

Does anyone else fish braid exclusively like myself. I got into braid to combat the bowfin that I was catching and now it’s all I use. I fish 6lb sufix for my cranks. I know what your saying 6lb! but have you ever tried to break 6lb braid…..you can’t. I love how I can cast and I feel everything that my crank is doing. I was fishing in north Carolina so the water usually had color to it or was stained. Plus 6lb test is like the thickness of thread. Anyone else addicted to braid?
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 10:27 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I love braid for certain applications: heavy cover fishing, frogging, and on spinning reels. However, I like fluorocarbon for most applications.

BB
Old 09-21-11, 11:15 AM   #3
boloson

I use nothing but braid. Had to use mono because I ran out of braid at the lake and it felt too bouncy. Want to try flouro sometime soon
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 11:44 AM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I really like it, but I don't use it exclusively. I have it on my heavy pitching and frogging rod, and I'm going to put it on my worm/jig/C-rig rod soon. I still use fluoro for my deep cranks, and mono for topwaters and shallow cranks.
Old 09-21-11, 01:35 PM   #5
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use braid primarily on my heavy cover/frogging/c-rigged(w/flouro leader) rods, but use flouro in most situations, and only use mono for top-water apps. Really, I just started using braid, and I am not a full convert yet.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 08:22 PM   #6
Fish30114

Crank, I like many others like braid a ton for certain situations. But I keep several rigs spooled with Flouro, and usually have at least one with MONO belive it or not! I have definitely had fish not strike with slower presentations when using braid as compared to co-poly or flouro--I fish a lot of really clear ponds though.....

For cranks I love braid, can cast it a mile, and with those baits I find it doesn't cut down on my strike count.

Which particular braid is your favorite. I just bought some Suffix 832, which I haven't spooled up on anything--kinda thinking it might be a good excuse to buy a new BC and Rod combo to put it on I've been using some firline Crystal, and have to admit I like it despite the white color, and of course I have a couple rigs spooled with power pro!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 08:54 PM   #7
Tavery5

I like the sensitivity that braid can provide, I also like that it has almost no stretch, these qualities are great for certain applications. When I fish, I try to look at the rod, reel, line and bait as whole. I pick action and power of rod, balanced with retrieval speed of reel, and use a bait and line that compliment the whole. Just like you probably would not use a short flimsy rod for pitching plastics, I would not use braid for all techniques. Bottom line for me is that braided line is a tool, when you use it for the right job, nothing could be better, when you use it to perform a job it is not designed for, you somewhat limit it's effectiveness.
Old 09-21-11, 09:26 PM   #8
Bassboss

I really like braid when ever I can get away with it. It's versatility is awesome in my opinion. I do like it spinnerbaits ok, and love it worms, jigs, etc. Not a fan of it for treble baits though, and it can be a hassle for top waters because it's so limp.

It's very nice line for spinning reels too!
Old 09-21-11, 11:42 PM   #9
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish30114 View Post
Crank, I like many others like braid a ton for certain situations. But I keep several rigs spooled with Flouro, and usually have at least one with MONO belive it or not! I have definitely had fish not strike with slower presentations when using braid as compared to co-poly or flouro--I fish a lot of really clear ponds though.....

For cranks I love braid, can cast it a mile, and with those baits I find it doesn't cut down on my strike count.

Which particular braid is your favorite. I just bought some Suffix 832, which I haven't spooled up on anything--kinda thinking it might be a good excuse to buy a new BC and Rod combo to put it on I've been using some firline Crystal, and have to admit I like it despite the white color, and of course I have a couple rigs spooled with power pro!
Let me know how that 832 is….. I been using performance braid 6lb test yes 6lb for my cranking can cast far with it and it’s thin as thread. The other thing is most of my lakes have some color to them and with the crank being a reaction bite and all. But I’m really looking into putting a fluorocarbon leader on my line now. I used to use power pro…….. Larry Dahlberg (sp?) got me to switch to performance braid and I never looked back. The only preference with power pro is the price…..but I back spool with mono and only put twice my farthest cast onto my spool.
Old 09-22-11, 02:57 AM   #10
bluebasser86

I hate braid. I use it for catfishing and anything I'm fishing in heavy grass and carolina rigging it, nothing else. I just never seem to catch the numbers and size of fish I do with fluoro, mono, and copoly.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 10:34 AM   #11
Fish30114

Crank, I'll keep you posted about the 832--it is pricey! In stained water I'm sure there is less of a issue with fish picking it up, but it is flat amazing what they CAN see. I would definitely look at a leader if you want your core line to be braid for any slower moving type presentation, especially slower presentations with worms/soft plastic creature baits and the like. It is especially a benefit if you are slow working any t-rigged soft plastics, or drop shotting, jika rigging or similar. I also prefer Mono for a lot of my topwater stuff, where I use the twitch, twitch, twitch type presentation--I either use mono or copoly for that style--not so important to me for a buzzbait. I like you use braid for my crankbait presentations, with the lure moving that fast, the line doesn't seem to be such a distraction for the fish.

I've never actually used performance braid, I think I'll try some when I need to respool one of my braid rigs.

a couple of quick questions, have you tried some different knots with your braid lines? I tried just a couple, and have finally settled on tying a palomar knot for everything, regardless of type of lure, line or anything else for that matter. Also, what have you settled in on to cut your braided line? I know Kevin here recommends the little scissors on a swiss army knife--well I have several, and they will cut it OK, but still not great. The only thing I have found that worked really good to me was a pair of 'Miracle Blade II' shears, and they are frickin big and bulky......still looking for a great, small, effective cutter for braid!
Old 09-22-11, 02:07 PM   #12
Crankbait

Hey Fish30114
Yup the Palomar is my knot choice as well. I’m just trying to settle on a knot for my leader. Been using the surgeons with success with 20lb power pro to 20 -15 lb seagaur red leader material. But I need a knot to work with my 6lb performance braid and figure what lb test for my leader. Performance braid is the best….money wise to me. I went spiderwire,fireline,power pro, then sufix . I tried sufix because I used to watch Larry Dahlberg Hunt for big fish. Surprisingly he now uses power pro. Yes I have the perfect braid cutter and they are cheap http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-flush-cutter-90708.html they are all I use and I always keep two on the boat. If you don’t have harbor freight or don’t want to order sears carries some http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00945663000P?vName=Hand+Tools&cName= Cutting+%26+Finishing+Tools&sName=Cutters+%26+Snip s&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=L3 (not as cheap like $7) but I like the ones from harbor freight tools they actually cut better. You’ll love em cause I’ve tried everything
Old 09-22-11, 05:29 PM   #13
Fish30114

Thanks CB, I will check out some of those cutters ASAP, there is a HF about 10 mins from the house.

I am clueless on what to recommend for a knot to leader material, I'll be interessted to see what others throw out there, I have used the double albright?? the few times I tried a leader on braid, I'm not sure if that's the proper name for it, but I ties it like two knots going together, saw it on youtube somewhere....

Tight lines--Don
Old 09-22-11, 06:24 PM   #14
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish30114 View Post
Thanks CB, I will check out some of those cutters ASAP, there is a HF about 10 mins from the house.

I am clueless on what to recommend for a knot to leader material, I'll be interessted to see what others throw out there, I have used the double albright?? the few times I tried a leader on braid, I'm not sure if that's the proper name for it, but I ties it like two knots going together, saw it on youtube somewhere....

Tight lines--Don
that's one of the knots i'm going to try the other is the modified Albright . have you tried the surgeon knot very easy.
Old 09-22-11, 09:51 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sufix PB is all I've used for a few years but have been switching my reels with braid to 832. It is smoother, especially in the lower tests that PB is only 4-6 carriers. It sinks though and after using it a while, I find this to be great for everything but topwaters like frogs. The neon lime color is great too, I love it in 10lb test for dropshotting with a spinning reel.

BB
Old 09-22-11, 10:34 PM   #16
Jrob78

I am going to go to Harbor Freight and look for some of those cutters. That is honestly the thing I hate the most about braid, cutting knots off is such a pain.

I haven't tried 832 yet but Sufix PB is awesome. They just came out with 832 in "Ghost", which I'm assuming is supposed to be less visible under water. I'm not a fan of tying leaders and I fish with micro guides on all my rods so passing knots isn't really an option. I do like braid though and use it on my spinning rod, my heavy flipping stick and I always keep a spare reel spooled with it in case a situation arises where I need it.
Old 09-23-11, 12:09 AM   #17
gonefishin3

KLien scisors is what i use for braid... works great.
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 02:39 AM   #18
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I am going to go to Harbor Freight and look for some of those cutters. That is honestly the thing I hate the most about braid, cutting knots off is such a pain.

I haven't tried 832 yet but Sufix PB is awesome. They just came out with 832 in "Ghost", which I'm assuming is supposed to be less visible under water. I'm not a fan of tying leaders and I fish with micro guides on all my rods so passing knots isn't really an option. I do like braid though and use it on my spinning rod, my heavy flipping stick and I always keep a spare reel spooled with it in case a situation arises where I need it.
You won’t be disappointed with those cutters……get 2 . I wasn’t a big fan of tying leaders at all. My buddy put me on to the double uni but that was a big a knot to be running through my guides. Then I came to Florida and I can honestly say I’ve found a knot that small doesn’t bother me going through the guides and It doesn’t have me thinking is this knot going to hold. And the surgeons knot is so simple. I’ve been using it for 8-15lb redfish 10+lb snook and even 45lb black drum I haven’t had that knot break on me once. (knock on wood) and the bay estuary was in my backyard I was fishing every day. Another thing is those redfish run sometimes it would be almost a ten minute battle and the first one had me scared about my knot……but that drag just kept on singing. And the hook sets weren’t just reel in to the fish when I was using circle hooks and live bait I was skipping flukes under mangroves and setting the hook hard on those boney mouth snooks. Joey deans out in Tx put me on to this knot and gave me the confidence to use it! watch his video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnk9miNAEQ8
Oh I sent you and email with some pics of the fish I was catching using this knot
Old 09-23-11, 11:02 AM   #19
MississippiBoy

Quote:

I was walking through either Lowe's one time, and they had a bargain bin of cheap scissors in the main aisle right by the cash registers. I grabbed probably 5 pair for about $4 total and put them in the boat when I got home. If they rust up or get dropped overboard, oh well, I'll just get some more next time I'm at Lowe's.....
Old 09-23-11, 11:57 AM   #20
Dogmatic

sorry, my photobucket is acting up...
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...3&src=googleps

As Kevin "Bassfishin.com" Scarselli recomends-
it's amazing how this thing cuts braid!

Last edited by Dogmatic; 09-23-11 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 12:58 PM   #21
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post

it's amazing how this thing cuts braid!
what thing are you talking about Dogmatic?
Old 09-23-11, 01:10 PM   #22
Dogmatic

Fixed it, I think. Couldn't add a pic, so just put up a link...D*mn Photobucket.
Old 09-23-11, 01:39 PM   #23
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I was walking through either Lowe's one time, and they had a bargain bin of cheap scissors in the main aisle right by the cash registers. I grabbed probably 5 pair for about $4 total and put them in the boat when I got home. If they rust up or get dropped overboard, oh well, I'll just get some more next time I'm at Lowe's.....
I've tried just about everything. My main problem is actually cutting the knot off the hook or split ring. I've got some Berkley braid scissors and a pair of super cheap diagonal cutters. They work, just not as well as I like.
Old 09-23-11, 02:03 PM   #24
Crankbait

Quote:
I've tried just about everything. My main problem is actually cutting the knot off the hook or split ring. I've got some Berkley braid scissors and a pair of super cheap diagonal cutters. They work, just not as well as I like.
I know exactly what you mean…….the cutters I told you about should be the solution.
Old 09-23-11, 02:48 PM   #25
MississippiBoy

Quote:
That does suck, trying to get that little knot off. I wonder if you could use a cigarette lighter to just burn it off.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.