Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-06-11, 03:46 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Here's the setup

Now in another post we're disscussing the whole fall feasting question (thanks for all the great input). Now I have a direct situation I'm confused about (ya again),Here we go: Pond let's say 30-40 acres, shore fishing, water temp. 60 degrees (been there for almost a week due to cold nights), reachable depth; maybe 12-18ft deep but limited because of distance from shore and quantity of, average fishing depth is 4-8 ft, high pressure, blue skies, no clouds but temps rising to high 70s to low 80s last two days (expected to stay that way for a week or so,) after past week of below normal temps). Lows still in mid to high 40s. No current. (bottom feed by springs, no discharge). Weeds and grass dead or dying in all of shallows, but still can pull in green plants in the 6-10ft level, water clarity extreme, (clear as bath water with almost unlimited visibility)

Have used
Swimjig (Bluegill color with trailer,rage chunk or 4in plastic swim bait)
finesse jig (black/blue, brown purple, pumkin/brown and other variations similar colors or patterns all w/trailers either rage chunk or Yum Wooly Bullie) dragged, hopped and swam
square bill shallow crank (Bomber Square A, foxy shad and foxy mamma colors)
jerk or slashbait Rapala X-Rap Xr-10 (yellow perch), Xr-08 (olive/green)
Plastic worms (5in. dingers, pumkin, watetermelon w/without red flake and smoke, rigged weightless texas and wacky) didn't use worms as long as normal because I thought reaction bite plus had jig for slow presentation

Haven't used:
flukes or brush-hogs of any size
lipless cranks
Ok here's the question:

Should I be fishing like a high pressure patern or a fall patern and please don't advise me to fish a fall high pressure patern because I have no idea what that would be. And actually I think I covered both paterns.
Little added note: other than moving deeper I really don't know of any gathering areas there would be for an effective fall patern for baitfish movement, which is perch and gills and small bass. Fishing was strong until cold spell.
Sorry for long post but I think I covered everything!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 04:50 PM   #2
bassboogieman

yo-yo a trap. Works well with cooling temps, mimics a dying bait fish, and you can throw it a long way from the bank.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 06:15 PM   #3
lilmule

Build a one man boat out of one sheet of plywood and some furring strips,then sit at 6 ft toss anything ya like.
No joke years ago did this great for small creeks and ponds if one does not weigh much,weight about 20 pds roughly 5 by 2 ft x 1
Ponds are just effected sooner than a larger body of water,also means they recover sooner,obviously long casts are necessary so one can count out any bait you cant toss to the utmost.
Having same problem almost in a boat on a very large body of water, as get near they shut down and its shallow water,while eating large gizzard shad not eating rattletraps much except when busting,tossing a gsplash and for those mere 40 yard fish a buzzbait,when busting a 1 oz lucky craft lipless (rattletrap that costs more)so your best casting outfits are in order.40-50 yard casts a must almost,and yes know how far that is,I use a two handed seeker glass rod that flexes like a flyrod loads and launches with 30 pd evo ,6300 abu reel.
I asked a rod maker over ten years ago for a rod that would reach those hitting on top making a circle just out of normal cast range that is what he sent me for 125 bucks.
Would love to have a half doz more,but dont think that glass is even available nowdays.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 07:41 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

Hey Joe I fish a 50 acre deep lake that is so clear it's scary, this little rig is deadly on 4 lb test. It might not be how you roll and the fish where you are may be different but imho if this don't catch a few you might as well go home.Click image for larger version

Name:	wacky 005.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	7237 ps the quarter is just for reference..duh....I pour these little 4" finesse worms but any will do...on a little bream hook and a split shot. Good Luck
Old 10-06-11, 08:10 PM   #5
Marty

A water temp of 60° can produce fine fishing. If I were you I'd cover a lot of water and use whatever lures suit the conditions. You can use faster, horizontal baits including topwaters plus the slower baits like jigs and soft plastics. My personal preference is to use the horizontal baits first until and if you're convinced they're not getting the job done.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.