Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-19-15, 12:01 AM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default What makes a lure one that keeps on catching?

I've made some of my own lures for quite some time which include attaching skirts on jigs and spinnerbaits, pouring soft plastic lures, tying feather or fur to jigs, making in-line spinners and so on. I continue to read what I consider nonsense why fish bite various lures, most of which claims that fish decide a lure is a forage animal at eat it for whatever reason - hunger being at the top.

Folks, when it comes to why fish bite lures, I have to rely on a fish's senses for lure detection and the spark of aggression a lure sets off in its tiny brain. All of the speculation I've read or watched on the tube I leave to those who believe in fairy tales and superstition. Let's get one factoid out of the way: the media is not interested in accuracy or the truth (like most politicians) but in selling stuff whether it be magazines (BassMaster) or products (Roland Martin and Bill Dance). Because a pro angler is quoted in a magazine doesn't make his claims true such as what lures to use in certain situations.

Funny though, I've designed a soft bait (not for sale) that I've used for the last four months and caught over 700 fish of different species and my partner around that amount using the same lure.

A few things to remember:
1. lure design depends on presentation to attract and provoke strikes. You don't burn a plastic worm over the bottom and in fact, you don't move any bait too fast regardless of design. Finesse techniques and lures have been used more often in recent year by pro anglers to win tournaments. Finesse always means slow. Finesse baits are designed to maximize their attractive features at a slow retrieve - one that is rarely steady.

2. Many lure designs incorporate features that shine at very slow retrieves.

3. Fish much of the time are in a neutral (non-school-bust'n) state, suspended somewhere over the bottom.

Predator fish in general are opportunists - if something passes near enough, it investigates using its mouth. Was the reason for the strike hunger or its snack time? Was it hate (Homer Circle used to say fish hate egg eaters and attack them)? Was it time to gorge in order to build up a fat layer into winter (ya know, like bears do)? Or was it something completely generic as relates to specific lure attributes having nothing to do with any of the b.s. we've been fed for decades?

Okay, so let's see what actually works for the lure design mentioned and not just for one or two species, but for many freshwater species caught from spring until now.

1. size - the lure is anywhere from 2-3" is size depending on the bite. Finicky fish sometimes need a smaller lure as in smaller length and profile.
2. the thin flat tail flutters at the slowest speed - even at dead stop! If anything, this feature is key to the amazing amount of strikes.
3. the lure is versatile, meaning it can be used with different slow presentations, vertically or horizontally.

Was color important? Yes and no. Lure color and flash are components that make a lure noticeable and like the thin tail, possibly annoying to a fish. Even a clear plastic minnow works as long as it has a small bit of glitter within the plastic. (Sure, your gonna say it represents fish scales to a fish and I say, since when has a fish told you what it believes something is? Is it capable of deductive reasoning at any level?)

Bright colors are the most annoying to a fish and will cause strikes, but only as long as fish are in a state of reacting to those colors.) They include super bright fluorescent colors and bright white. Subtle translucent colors and flash or no flash can also be intriguing to a fish. I have my favorites, but will never assume all work on any day.

Today I fished a pond loaded with big yellow perch and sunfish. If the fish missed being hooked on the first cast, it got another chance on the second cast. The spark of aggression caused by lure characteristics made it impossible to resist the lure on the second pass and it got hooked. The fish was minding its own business and then this thing shimmies and shines past its head, challenging it with its trespass.

Different shapes were used - body and/or tail. Most caught fish, some better than others on the same presentation. That tells me that on any given day, the little things matter. A lure has it or it doesn't and if you find one that shines, you tend to stay with it. In my case I try to think of things the lure had that might have made it work so well and incorporate those things in other lures I make. For example, rather than use a flat tail, I would make a thin prong tail attached to the same body design. (It worked well BTW.) I've recently discovered lures for sale on-line that are similar in design to my own and I'm sure work for the same reasons. (Great minds think alike!)

So, if you catch fish on a particular lure, contemplate the lure characteristics that mattered most and not what fish thought the thing was before it hit it.

Thin flat tail grub used all year:

and my own design poured - no mold:

Last edited by senkosam; 10-19-15 at 12:07 AM.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-15, 07:04 PM   #2
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

"All of the speculation I've read or watched on the tube I leave to those who believe in fairy tales and superstition." Wow ... got a problem getting through doorways with that head of yours?

"Because a pro angler is quoted in a magazine doesn't make his claims true such as what lures to use in certain situations." But yours is the ultimate truth because ???

"... last four months and caught over 700 fish of different species ..." Based on my catch rate, less than 7 fish a day for 120 days is lower than average numbers.

"Was it hate (Homer Circle used to say fish hate egg eaters and attack them)? Was it time to gorge in order to build up a fat layer into winter (ya know, like bears do)?"
So, you're saying that fish DON'T attack nest robbers? That fish DON'T fatten up before the cold temps of Winter set in? So, why are they more aggressive in the fall?

While I don't DISAGREE with your article, I do take umbrage at your insinuation that YOUR opinion is the only one of value. Your supposition that everything that other pros and biologists have only told us "fairy tales and superstition".
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-15, 10:39 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Don't worry too much Mike, senkosam has a long sorted history of making these types of posts which usually create a reaction much like your own. I don't see him on too many of the site anymore, must have gotten bored.
Old 10-26-15, 07:28 AM   #4
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Figures. There's always some in every site.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 10:14 PM   #5
senkosam

Still here. Each statement can be taken at face value or taken apart as one determines each one is bunk. I've been fortunate to be able to now fish government lakes as a vet that were off limits to anyone not a government employee or a vet with disability. I'm starting to reconfirm the above facts on six different bass waters with a buddy.

Believe your own eyes first and then maybe take what others say with a grain of salt that are sponsored by a lure company. The lure design shown is similar to others on the market. I don't sell them because 1. each area in the country has anglers that do well with their own favorites, 2. To get a mold made in each size would be expensive and 3. to sell them would require too much time crafting each and If I did sell them, I would charge too much to make it worth the price.

Believe what you will; everyone else that has an open mind, consider one or many of the ideas presented based on your own experiences. I have posted extensively on different forums in the past and now only value a few forums where the feedback is unlike some of the recent replies to this post.

Warms the heart to see the same type kill posting initiative while at the same time having nothing of value to post or reply. Good for you! Keep it going and no one will visit this site much. Hey wait a minute - no one does. Congratulations!

In any case, time to leave for good. Bye Bye

Last edited by senkosam; 11-03-15 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-18-23, 05:09 PM   #6
senkosam

Visited with nothing better to do and sees there's still no traffic. Nice going Mikechell !

Noted: no reply to my last reply?

BTW, I enlisted during the Vietnam War. Please share your military service record.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.