Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-06-05, 11:00 PM   #26
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie
Default Re: hey look at this

[quote author=basser_37 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#14 date=06/06/05 at 21:15:49]That bass sees that crank and the thought goes into his small brain saying, "That baitfish must die." Bass will kill an injured minnow just for sheer sake of killing.[/quote]

100% true.... i hook a small 1lb bass and was bringing it in. when i got it about 5 feet off shore another bigger bass came out of the moss and tried to attack it. It was an awsome site to see. i was amased!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:00 PM   #27
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

no, its not that I'm underestimating, its that you aren't comprehending my reasoning. If a fish takes a long look at a lure, they aren't turning it up because of the smell or lack of smell. When a fish is looking at a lure, they are either waiting for that right instance to pounce on the lure, or they were interested in it but saw something to spook them such as line or hook, at that point, scent won't help.

As far as
''no sense in wasting scent on soft plastics, that is what the salt is impregnated for''

I said that because scent is added for location but more importantly to keep the bass hanging on for a couple extra mili-seconds, the only purpose of salt is to keep the fish hanging on, not scent. A salted lure typically has a slow presentation, therefore making scent (as far as the fish tracking down the lure) useless.

As far as salt grains coming off the bait, yeah, they'll all come off the first cast, after that all you have left is what is impregnated in the lure, and that won't be scent, that will be taste.

If I made too many posts, live with it, the fish will continue to feed.
[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#15 date=06/06/05 at 21:19:03]i disagree to the last one(from rodman)....they do get a long look at it, and sometimes they dont hit it. with the added scent they are now smelling and seeing the lure...making for better odds....you just said that scent is a determining factor, looks like in that last post YOU are underestimatiting scent and with faster lures alot of times it is a reaction strike. the way i see it, a live baitfish doesnt put off loads and loads of scent, so why should the lure? and with salt, some of the grains will come off in the pursuit, and the bass will pick this up, making it a scent, i get lures with salt impregnated in it, and with it on the outside....and i also put salt on any oof my soft baits. btw, you could of put all that in one post instead of making multiple post for one or 2 of my posts. oh ya, in one of your posts you say ''no sense in wasting scent on soft plastics, that is what the salt is impregnated for'' if salt isnt a scent, why are you saying that? like i said before, some things work in different places, i dont use scent much, and it doesnt make a difference with a catch rate....i do use it on Â*tough days...thats the only time, and it works ok there. what might work for you up there doesnt have to work for me down here, i do just fine not using scent, and you do fine using it...., it doesnt matter so much down here, it matters up there. that is good......i dont need to use it down here.[/quote]
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:02 PM   #28
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

you sayin im not 'sposed to use perfume?.....dangnabbit, i knew something was wrong : ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:08 PM   #29
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

keep in mind nobody woulda went ballistic if you weren't making moron type comments.

As far as a hard bait retaining scent, that would be why most scents are oil based. Being that oil and water typically don't mix, it takes more casts than you'd imagine to rinse the scent off a hard bait. For future reference, if you want to keep the conversation productive, keep the smart ***'d comments to youself.
[quote author=basser_37 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#24 date=06/06/05 at 21:55:49]bassfisher02-nothing towards you intended, directing it to rodman

rodman-chill out homey! you're gonna have a heart attack fuming over an opinion. I'm just telling you what i think of your side of the story. No need to go ballistic. Â*we were just having a good healthy debate and presenting our own experiences with scent and now you're taking it personal. Â*I'm just saying i dont believe that minners give off that huge amount of scent and hardbaits with scent are completely worthless, IMO. and how does the scent stick to hard plastic? hard plastic or metal generally doesn't retain scent when put in water? or i have been sitting in the sun for too long?[/quote]
Old 06-06-05, 11:18 PM   #30
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=matt link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#21 date=06/06/05 at 21:46:21]hey im srry about starting this stuff my bad [/quote]

you're banned, all there is too it, nah, don't worry bout it, its not like we're exchanging punches at the ramp.
Old 06-06-05, 11:20 PM   #31
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=25#27 date=06/06/05 at 22:02:49]you sayin im not 'sposed to use perfume?[/quote]

depends what you're trying to catch.
Old 06-06-05, 11:30 PM   #32
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
A salted lure typically has a slow presentation, therefore making scent (as far as the fish tracking down the lure) useless
Actually, RR, the salt is not there to slow the fall. It is there for taste-blood is salty, so when the fish tastes salt it tastes natural to the fish.

Regarding scent, I don't use it on fast moving baits. Not a bad idea, though-have to give it a try. I won't throw a soft plastic or jig without scent. If the bait is salty so much the better.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:33 PM   #33
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i have had salt grains stay on a tiki 6-7 casts after the first. the fish do get a good look at it, and the line and presentation of the lure come up big here, but if there is scent added to the worm, the fish will pick that up, and feel alittle more commited to the bait. now im not carryin on about this subject anymore.....basically scent works for you....i never use it, because i have found it makes no difference. only time i use it is when the bite gets tough(reason already stated) you think it doesnt help. so there is no point in carrying on the conversation. you arnt gunna change my mingd, im not gunna change yours. WHAT WORKS IN YOUR AREA OF WATER YOU FISH DOESNT WORK IN MINE. case closed.
Old 06-06-05, 11:37 PM   #34
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

I said nothing about slowing the fall, I know what the salt is for.

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=25#31 date=06/06/05 at 22:30:15]

Actually, RR, the salt is not there to slow the fall. Â*It is there for taste-blood is salty, so when the fish tastes salt it tastes natural to the fish.

Regarding scent, I don't use it on fast moving baits. Â*Not a bad idea, though-have to give it a try. Â*I won't throw a soft plastic or jig without scent. Â*If the bait is salty so much the better.
[/quote]
Old 06-06-05, 11:40 PM   #35
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=25#32 date=06/06/05 at 22:33:45] you think it doesnt help.[/quote]

when did I say it didn't help? I'm not trying to change anybodies mind, I just tend to catch more on a freshly squirted lure.
Old 06-06-05, 11:42 PM   #36
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

when the bite gets tough, you said it really doesnt matter(or help) about the scent.
Old 06-06-05, 11:54 PM   #37
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=25#35 date=06/06/05 at 22:42:17]when the bite gets tough, you said it really doesnt matter(or help) about the scent.[/quote]

show me, i don't recall saying anything of that nature.
Old 06-06-05, 11:59 PM   #38
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

easy easy pple these are opinions not facticious (big word)
no need to get all upity bout it
diff strokes for diff folks
i was always taught sent was usless on a bait moving quickly like a spinner bait or crank moves to fast
on a crank and most spinners they are lead,metal,painted wood, and plastic nothing for the scent to obsorb into so 1 or 2 casts its gone
soft baits its an opinion ive never used scents much sept the empregnated salt and i fish worms almost exclusivly you cant tell so if u think it works use it dont wory bout other pple dont try to drive ur opinion into them it wont work if they dont believe no matter of reasoning will help no amount of argument so no point to it
put ur opinion out there then let it be if someone attacks it there is no point to defending it u will probably only make them more stuburn
"No One Is Wrong Here Opinions Are Not Right Or Wrong" in the famous words of myself (in my own head) J.C.

P.S.
Dont say nothin bout my spellin aint my fualt im tupid
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 12:01 AM   #39
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

[quote author=fishing_sniper link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=25#38 date=06/06/05 at 22:59:11]easy easy pple these are opinions not facticious (big word)
no need to get all upity bout it
diff strokes for diff folks
i was always taught sent was usless on a bait moving quickly like a spinner bait or crank moves to fast
on a crank and most spinners they are lead,metal,painted wood, and plastic nothing for the scent to obsorb into so 1 or 2 casts its gone
soft baits its an opinion ive never used scents much sept the empregnated salt and i fish worms almost exclusivly you cant tell so if u think it works use it dont wory bout other pple dont try to drive ur opinion into them it wont work if they dont believe no matter of reasoning will help no amount of argument so no point to it
put ur opinion out there then let it be if someone attacks it there is no point to defending it u will probably only make them more stuburn
"No One Is Wrong Here Opinions Are Not Right Or Wrong" in the famous words of myself (in my own head) J.C.

P.S.
Dont say nothin bout my spellin aint my fualt im tupid[/quote]
Well said.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 12:02 AM   #40
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rodman_Rob link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#13 date=06/06/05 at 20:33:33]
Scent isn't needed on a plastic as it is fished slower, has a longer presentation in FRONT of the fish, [/quote]
also, you talk alittle about it in the 27th post.
Old 06-07-05, 12:25 AM   #41
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

umm, you made the 27th post, and you originally said that I said this "when the bite gets tough, you said it really doesnt matter(or help) about the scent. " Are you drinking?
Old 06-07-05, 12:31 AM   #42
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

so where did I say "when the bite gets tough it really doesnt matter(or help) about the scent."?
Old 06-07-05, 12:33 AM   #43
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

ladies, ladies ;D
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 12:35 AM   #44
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

WOW ???

Yes I use scent, and yes I BELIEVE it helps, so there by that's my OPINION. I don't use it everytime, but most of the time I do recall one specific comment, don't know who made it or not, and don't really care. But a Bass will follow a Bait, I've had them hit the bait at the boat many times after a long retrieve. I watched a bass follow a Jitterbug for about 30 feet with a stop and go retrieve before finally biting and being caught. I also watched a wake from a 5lb bass I caught on a spinnerbait follow the spinnerbait form 70 feet all the way to within 5 feet of the boat before biting it. Scent can't hurt and if it makes them hold on for even a fraction of a second longer, then that's an advatage I want.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 01:07 AM   #45
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

umm no im not drinking...are you? you said scent does not matter when fishin slower, i fish slow when the bite gets tuff. so right there you bassically say the scent doesnt matter when the bite is tuff(because most fish slow when the bite gets tuff) and i say it does matter. so instead of saying help, i should of said matter(not that it makes as much difference, practically same thing. ) and i was counting roughly, not an exact count. in the general area of the 27th post is where you said some more. now, im sick of talking about this...im sorry that you cant except this is all opinion. and dragging it on like this doesnt help. and i know you are going to say something like you wanted to know where you said that....well there it is, end of story, it may not say help, its says matter...big deal. i think it matters to put scent on when fishin a tuff bite, you dont...that better?? all your damn post are confusing. just cause you are to stubborn and hard headed to post it all once. now, enough of this bickering...and lets move onto another damn subject.
Old 06-07-05, 01:08 AM   #46
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

my bad, it was the 26th post...sorry to make you have to look up a degree :...now, there you go....first paragraph, you talk alittle more about it, not much but alittle.
Old 06-07-05, 01:13 AM   #47
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=25#44 date=06/07/05 at 00:07:34] you said scent does not matter when fishin slower, i fish slow when the bite gets tuff. Â*so right there you bassically say the scent doesnt matter when the bite is tuff(because most fish slow when the bite gets tuff) [/quote]
there's the problem, I didn't say when the bite gets tough, I said when fishing slow. Just because you're fishing slow does not mean the bite is tough. You're putting words in my mouth, then spouting off like I'm the idiot.
Old 06-07-05, 01:14 AM   #48
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=25#45 date=06/07/05 at 00:08:58]my bad, it was the 26th post...sorry to make you have to look up a degree :...now, there you go....first paragraph, you talk alittle more about it, not much but alittle.[/quote]

couldn't let it die could you?
so where did I say "when the bite gets tough it really doesnt matter(or help) about the scent."?
Old 06-07-05, 01:22 AM   #49
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

let it die? you wanted to know what post it was, so i told you.....now, here you go...you said, scent isnt needed on a plastic as it is fished slower, has a longer presentation in FRONT of the fish. now, when the bite is tuff, i fish slow. so there you go....scent isnt needed when fishing slower...those are your own words. i fish slow when the bite is tuff.....so that says that scent isnt needed when fishin slower. i think it is needed when fishing slower. is that better? if you think it is not needed, obviously you dont think it helps, or it matters, or you would use it. so i said you dont think it help....because you obviously dont, or you would need it. so i said, i think it helps, you dont think it helps...when its all boiled down, its basically the same thing as what you originally said...
Old 06-07-05, 01:31 AM   #50
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

what it all boils down to is somebody putting words in my mouth :

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.