Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-23-06, 07:49 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lead Weights vs. Tunsten Weights

Whats everyone's thought on the lead and tungsten weight issue. Personally I feel like I have more sensitivity with tunsten over lead. It may very well be just my mind working overtime (thats a laugh) but I feel this is the case. Especially when using braid it feels more solid when working through wood and harder bottoms. I cant tell awhole lot of difference when using tungsten in weeds other than the fact the tungsten is smaller and does penetrate better.
Old 03-23-06, 07:55 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here in oHIo the gov. has always made a huge issue about the amount of lead in the ohio river due to fishermen, and then it trickles down to BASS
federation clubs and rumors/threats always abound. I don't know how they would ever get the lead out of the muck in the river.
Plus, I'd love to try tungsten weights, just haven't remembered to look for them at basspro..I don't think our wallyworld sells them.
I know several posters on here comment on them and must like em!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 09:21 AM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Aside from being somewhat pricy, they are excellent weights, the are smaller which is good in some applications, and they are almost always made with cleaner appearance and most have excellent paint jobs on them. You'll pay three times what your used to paying for the same number of weights, and besides being eco-friendly, they allow for better sensitivity too in my opinion. Try em, if you can afford them.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 01:17 PM   #4
Raul

Tungsten is denser and harder, when you hit something like a rock with a lead weight the lead being soft bends or scratches, tungsten vibrates.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 04:45 PM   #5
flbassman

I don't care all that much, tungsten is mighty nice, but lead's cheaper, and I've caught a lot of fish on lead sinkers.
Old 03-23-06, 04:48 PM   #6
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

in the past having to put on a heavier weight for wind conditions has been very difficult for me to feel what the bait is doing under the water....hence my missing alot of fish i never knew had picked up the bait to begin with....but since i have been using the tungsten weights i can put the heavier weight on there and it's still so sensitive that i can feel everything....it's such a difference....yes they are a bit pricey....but for the result they give you can't beat them.....
Old 03-23-06, 05:11 PM   #7
JB

What brand do ya favor?
Old 03-23-06, 06:36 PM   #8
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I laughed at a guy when he told me tungeston weights were "more sensitive". I bought some and found out that he was right, thats all I use now. They are pricey, but wow I love em. I don't really have a "favorite" brand, they all seem to be equal to me (except the price!)

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:11 PM   #9
KenDammit

if you don't know that a bass has picked up your lure, how do you know that you're missing a fish?
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:23 PM   #10
zooker

bassinlady
a bit pricy?? true tungstung bullet heads are $1.50 each..

zooker
Old 03-23-06, 07:39 PM   #11
bass kicker

when fishing in wood tungsten makes more sound with is good
Old 03-23-06, 08:34 PM   #12
fishing_sniper
BassFishin.Com Active Member

lol ill stick with leade at 1.50 a pop ty i get hung up to much and loose them plus ive got enough lead to sink a boat with any way ill never have to buy another wieght but i did buy some brass sinkers one time and they had a bigger holes through them and was shiney and they were sensative
if he dont hit hard enough to jus bout take the rod outa your hand hes too small any way throw him back lol
Old 03-23-06, 08:40 PM   #13
Rebbasser

I use both, but I only use tungsten for C-rigging. A couple of years back WalMart was clearing Lake Fork tungsten weights for $1.00-not bullet sinkers, the tungsten version of an egg sinker. I bought all the had. They put out a lot more noise and are a lot more knot-friendly than lead.
Old 03-24-06, 06:37 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Ok now that I have some replys here is the seconfd part of my question. In cold water when using the tungsten weights has anyone noticed the rate of fall say with a `/4 oz weight and 7"Power worm. I have been doing some testing and found out the rate of fall with tungsten is differant than lead in cold water,cold water being denser is all I can come up with. What ya'll think??
Old 03-24-06, 07:20 AM   #15
JB

I bet the alloy to make tungsten weighs more than a equal amount of lead...just a guess mind you...
Old 03-24-06, 12:16 PM   #16
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

i find that the tungsten have a softer fall rate than the lead one's....allowing for the feel of the bottom alot more than with the lead weights....but of course this is just my humble opinion....but i have a crap load of lead weights in my tackle that i will probably never use again...lol....
Old 03-25-06, 07:28 AM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Ok now that I have some replys here is the seconfd part of my question. In cold water when using the tungsten weights has anyone noticed the rate of fall say with a `/4 oz weight and 7"Power worm. I have been doing some testing and found out the rate of fall with tungsten is differant than lead in cold water,cold water being denser is all I can come up with. What ya'll think??
Not that I'm a expert on this. But if the weights you are using have the same weight, and the profile is smaller, only makes sense for it to fall quicker since it has less surface area for resistance. I believe it's called physics

Lizards
Old 03-25-06, 08:57 PM   #18
bass kicker

i hate physics i almost failed that part in grade 10 science last year
Old 03-26-06, 08:50 AM   #19
PowerBass

I use Excalibur Tungsten Weights. I have just bought them too! 1 pack of 1/4, 1/2, and 5/8 oz Weights. They definitley fall better and punch better than lead in my opininion
Old 03-26-06, 12:09 PM   #20
pig n jig

My only complaint is that tungstun are 1/8 oz. weight or more.I would like to see a 1/32 or at least a 1/16 oz. weight in tungstun.I have been using them for a couple of years now, I started using Lake Fork, then found them difficult to buy in the North here, so I use Excaliber, or Bass pro shop brand tungstun weights.They fall quickly, you can feel bottom better, the price is not a option, NY state banned the use of lead under 1/2 oz. Why we can use 1/2 oz. or heavier in lead is beyond me. I also use the Bismuth weights, Water Gremlin is a brand that I use.The thing with them is do not lose the plastic shrink wrap on the outside of the weight, and if you hit a hard object, they tend to shatter quite easily.I use the tin split shot as well, I actually like tin split shot better than the old lead ones I used to buy.They all work, some seem to be a better trade off for the price, it all depends on how often you lose weights while fishing. I remember a day last year where I lost $20+ in tungstun weights fishing a lake where there were toothy critters swimmin in it.I need to find a drill bit that will drill a hole through rocks to use as weight if I have those days more often. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 12:54 PM   #21
bassnman30

When using Tunsten with the platic inserts it "may" not feel the same as a weight with out the plastic, but thats just my opinion.
Tunsten also frays up the line on Carolina Rigs where the weight meets the leader. Check this often.
Tru-tungsten has no inserts. But they make a fine weight, (thats polished as not to fray the line) but they do cost a little more than other tungsten weights. Plus if your using a good hook i.e. Owner, etc.. It's like loosing a crankbait. Make efforts to recover the weight and hook.

Last edited by bassnman30; 03-26-06 at 01:00 PM.
bassnman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 09:27 PM   #22
Jive Turkey
BassFishin.Com Member

I like that tungsten is smaller and lower profile. It also makes more noise when hitting rocks I believe. It does get snagged around rocks a lot more than lead will, so I don't even use it around rocks.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.