Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 12-04-09, 11:37 AM   #1
Greenwater
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 115 optimax 115 optimax xs

Could anyone tell me the difference between the 08 115 optimax and the 115 optimax xs
thanks
Greenwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 11:59 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, from what I can tell, the specs are identical, except for two things.

The 115 Pro XS does not have a tiller-steering or an XL, 25" option from the factory. However, my assumption would be that parts from a "plain old" Opti 115 would swap exactly.

They even have the same RPM range spec'd, but there could possibly be airflow/timing curve differences for "more power and speed", as Mercury's advertisements claim.

Personally, I think it's just marketing. The Pro XS label is fresh, moreso than the Optimax moniker, so they get to "expand the line" without really doing any work.
Old 12-05-09, 03:36 PM   #3
zooker

It is the gearing in the lower unit. The xs has a high speed gearing..The differance is about 5 mph...

zooker
Old 12-05-09, 11:33 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Hmmmm....Zooker, I looked at the specs, and both say 2.07:1. I'm determined to find out the difference, if any. I'm going to contact Mercury about it.
Old 12-06-09, 02:45 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Someone beat me to the punch. It looks like my initial guesses were pretty close.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=424325

Looks like they changed the power curve through airflow timing changes and powertrain control module (PCM) changes; i.e. same top end, but you should get there quicker.

Carbon fiber reed valves...hmmm....not sure what the valves on an Optimax are made of, but sounds fun.
Old 12-06-09, 02:50 PM   #6
zooker

I am not positive on excatly what the gearing is. But i think the regular opti is a 2.07:1 the opti x is a 1.85: 1 The opti xs is 1.65:1 gearing..The differance between the regular opti and the xs is about 5 mph on the top end..
The answer in that thread/link is correct. the differance between a opti pro xs and a stock opti xs
is the intake reeds, timing,and firing mods..This is the "pro" mods..

However this guy wants to know the differance between the regular opti and the opti xs..Answer is it's the lower unit..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 12-06-09 at 03:02 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 03:13 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
However this guy wants to know the differance between the regular opti and the opti xs..Answer is it's the lower unit..

zooker
That's what I was talking about, Zook. The specs for both the Opti and the Opti Pro XS say 2.07:1.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.