Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-23-13, 04:46 PM   #1
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default back in black

after having a few mercs before, it was only a matter of time before i put one on my new boat. i couldnt wait for my johnson to get rebuilt(took way too long), so i found a 225 efi blown up and went through it myself and rewired the boat for a merc. best decision ever. boat moves out awesome and as fast as ill ever need.

Last edited by Embrey; 09-23-13 at 04:52 PM.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 07:46 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The second and third big motors I owned a 50 and a tower of power 90 were black.For years on end ran omc.Purchased a 19 ft stratos off Paul Nichols over at Soddy Daisey(yes same one that made the Tn river run),however not in that boat.It had merc controls,im getting bit to old to futz around changing them around so while I had a yamaha 2.6 150,a 140 (1977),and an omc cnc stock 150 race engine,no 200 hp, so I did the unthinkable.I was a bad bad boy and got a rebuilt 200 EFI.Qiuck responce,but thirsty bugger.
1985 385V Stratos-Merc 2001 EFI 200

Full load livewells full,two up 67-68 mph gps,single over 70.So if ever on ky lake and an antique passes you its me.
Just added a 798 to console,and another pump for incoming water,so pic outdated.5 hrs on it so far.
Your choice was a good one,its a high rpm motor with an omc type gear ratio 1.87.No choke,no hard starts.
mine 6 in hijacker,25P trophy + could actually run a 26,but the 25 suits it.As fish a lot of shallow water and its up in a heartbeat,on plane in 3 ft noproblemo,no stumps where that is done at.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-24-13 at 09:01 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 03:24 PM   #3
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i believe the mercs are 1.75 ratio? not 100% sure at the moment. im about to head to ky lake soon. i dont get down that way much, but its been awhile, so im gonna give it a try. gotta figure out what i want to fish before i go though. too much water to eliminate. lol
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 07:40 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That is also what I thought,was told by the builder my 200 efi is 1.87,it seems when one looks them up several gr .
Small 90 hp 2.38/1 175-200-1.87,your 225 is 1.75
Had always thought was possible due to different lowers each having their own ratios,but never assumed came different from the factory.
Some of the etecs also have a different gr,guessing one followed the other.Dunno which one lil of both I presume.
The 1.75 better for speed the 1.87 better for carrying weight and or load,just guessing my 200 full load gear,livewells both full and full tank of gas and a pard at 68 is while lower is fairly close in speed to yours.I only drop 2mph from one up and half gas,with current 25p trophy,But only 5 hrs on it as fresh rebuild.
It could easily handle a 26,just like the quick popup,wouldnt be that difficult to be running low to mid seventies in it just like the way it handles as is no walk,ive run 27 tro 4 on rudes and a 27 chopper,chopper one has to correct constantly,tro4 isnt bad at 72,but popup angle steeper,while still quick.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-24-13 at 08:02 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.