Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-13-05, 12:25 PM   #1
Predator314
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tips for loading and launching boat solo

Hey guys and gals, I have a 1979 model Ranger boat that I have restored and have been fishing with it the past few months.

I like to fish with another person, but there are times where I would like to go out alone on the lake and kill some time.

I was just looking for tips on unloading and loading a boat by yourself.

I've never had to do this before.

One thing I know that I'll need is some guides so I can drive the boat up on the trailer. This will make life easier.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-05, 12:41 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I get it ready to launch except I do not unhook the winch. I back it down, climb on and then unhook the winch. Fire it up, back it off, then tie it up or beach it. If I beach it I drop the trolling motor-the skeg digs in and holds the boat. If neccessary I throw the anchor up on the bank-that works too. Trailering I reverse the process. Get the guides-it makes a world of difference to have a drive-on trailer.
Old 07-13-05, 04:17 PM   #3
WTL

OK, well the procedure is all pretty much the same except when you back down you have nobody to hold the rope or I guess sit in the boat for those with large boats. So, what you do as Reb said is you winch off about 4 feet of line, it could take more or less, and then back up nice and deep. Sometimes I actually pull the boat back a little off the trailer before I even go down the ramp, especially if its a shallow ramp - that may or may not be possible with your boat.

On my trailer I built a large V out of 2x4s and of course I carpeted it. When putting back on the trailer, I can now just point the bow directly at that V, turn off the motor when I get within 10 feet, and just glide it into it, the V automaticly straightens the whole thing out, all I have to do is hook it up and winch it in tight. Then I jump out of the boat, crawl up the trailer frame and along the side of my explorer to the driver seat, pull the parking brake while having the other foot on the regular brake, then put her in drive and accelerate just a bit before I lift off of the regular brake.
Old 07-14-05, 11:14 AM   #4
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I do it the way that everyone else is saying when unloading, but when it comes to loading it back up, I just act as if it isn't a drive on trailer and pull it up by rope, then put the strap on it and tighten it down. Then I jut pull up and finish it up while in the lot.
Old 07-14-05, 11:37 AM   #5
JB

Dont ya just hate those windy days? the boat goes crooked an all.

Half the fun on summer days is watching ppl get mad at ya whos on the ramp preparing the boat, tying up others and doing stuff to the boat that should have been done in the parking lot lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 03:43 PM   #6
bassbooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Half the fun on summer days is watching ppl get mad at ya whos on the ramp preparing the boat, tying up others and doing stuff to the boat that should have been done in the parking lot lol
That is something I cannot stand and I will tell people that too. Here is NC it is actually illegal to do it and if the Game Warden catches you doing it he will give you a ticket for it. Unless it isn't a public boat ramp. There are a few wild life clubs here that don't care if you actually park your vehicle on the ramp and leave it while you are fishing. That is why I don't pay those stupid launching fees at those ramps.
Old 07-14-05, 04:35 PM   #7
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

I keep the bed of my truck down so that i can get on the boat after I have backed it in. Crank it, unhook it , dock it, the park the truck and get to work.

When loading I do the same thing with the tail gate. I dont put my trailer as far down in the water so I can see the guides easier and get the boat on easier.
nb122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 08:02 PM   #8
Rebbasser

I put the tailgait down especially when loading up-can't see the trailer if I don't .

A couple of weeks back two guys were blocking the ramp tying their jet skis down. As if I didn't dislike them enough already
Old 07-19-05, 03:35 PM   #9
Fish2win

take a strong rope that is about 10 feet longer than your trailer. Put a winch clip on one end. Clip it to the eye of the boat and tie it to the front bow support. Back down into the water and allow the boat to drift free. Pull up slightly and retreive the boat via the rope. Tie it off and park the truck. Fish2win
Old 07-19-05, 04:08 PM   #10
bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb122679
I keep the bed of my truck down so that i can get on the boat after I have backed it in. Crank it, unhook it , dock it, the park the truck and get to work.

When loading I do the same thing with the tail gate. I dont put my trailer as far down in the water so I can see the guides easier and get the boat on easier.
this is what i do
Old 07-19-05, 06:36 PM   #11
zooker

i would drop my tail gate but it would hit the trailer .i have a short hitch.but i normally watch for it to float up than back up a foot more. jump in to the rear and unhook the winch. some of these idiots should learn that if you butt is in line for 20+ mintues unstrap the blasted boat. nothing and i mean nothing piss me off faster than having to wait while some moron unstraps after 20-45 mintue wait to launch.-yes these ramps get very crowded here- same thing when loading my bro and me were fishing all night we went in about 10 am. on the southmont ramp you can launch/load 5 boats at a time.of course this is a buzy ramp any time -worst in the summer time- after taking his turn in waiting for about 15 mintues this guy pulls in with a boat and stops at the top of the ramps blocking 2 of the 3-if you know this ramp the chutes side- my bro was driving my jeep at the time. he just comes round and backs past this moron going over the curb. with the jeep not the trailer. this guy is pissed cause he goes down the "chute" right behind him. words were said as i run the boat on the trailer my bro -all 6'4'' 200 pounds of him- is standing on my push bar mooning this moron. i was lmao but we did not wait. i told him to go and he went. i cuss this moron out but good told him if my boat trailer nails his i getting out and stomping a large hole in his butt. for being stupid..it did not missed by and inch.

zooker
Old 09-10-05, 06:30 PM   #12
buzzdog
BassFishin.Com Member

I have an 18 foot tracker pontoon boat. I just make sure I can back the boat down the ramp close enough to the dock that I can reach the boat. Hop in ,back it off. When getting it back on, do the same thing. have the trailer far enough in the water that you can basically push it up the trailer far enough to use the winch.
Old 09-12-05, 10:12 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win
take a strong rope that is about 10 feet longer than your trailer. Put a winch clip on one end. Clip it to the eye of the boat and tie it to the front bow support. Back down into the water and allow the boat to drift free. Pull up slightly and retreive the boat via the rope. Tie it off and park the truck. Fish2win
I do this except a longer rope, and a quick clip. I fish alone a lot and the first thing you better bring is a spare set of clothes and shoes I can promise you will need them sometime

Lizards
Old 09-13-05, 06:53 AM   #14
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yall dont power load????

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 03:45 PM   #15
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i just tie it down,unload it and tie it to a dock.then you just simpily walk on the pier and just park the truck.

really really simple
Old 09-15-05, 04:42 PM   #16
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Power loadnig is illegal here in MI and it tears up the launch.
We came into the launch one evening in my buddy's 26' cruiser and there were a bunch of guys parked at the top of the ramp screwing around ith ropes and rachet straps. We went ahead and pulled in because we thought they were leaving and sent his girlfriend to get the truck. Then these guys said they were waiting to put in! There were a 5-6 big black dudes and this was near Detroit so we though we were in or trouble but they moved and all we got were bad looks. The biggest thing about this launch is that there is a special area before you get in line that says "BOAT PREP AREA". dumba$$es
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 08:38 AM   #17
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

When backing down a ramp, easier to control steering wise if you take the vehicle out of gear. Just makes control a lot easier.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.