Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-15-08, 07:14 PM   #26
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes it does. Thought maybe you had already checked tha throttle plates. Ya can just have someone mash tha gas petal (motor not runnin' ) then see if ya can move the linkage on tha carbs any farther by hand. Does tha thing ventilate any at all when ya take off from idle? Just sounds like tha motor isn't being all it should be, thus tha low rpms. That combination is close enough to not have these issues I would think. Might be time ta start lookin' at tha motor stuff ie: compression, fuel delivery and electrics. Ya gonna have ta just keep peckin' and askin' questions.
Forgot ta ask if it did this before ya bought it (test drive maybe or not). Has it ALWAYS acted this way? Before AND after ya bought it............T

Last edited by ally260; 05-15-08 at 08:03 PM.
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 09:10 AM   #27
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em-AND-Cook'em View Post
sorry zooker, i'm still a bit confused about the pad. So i find the indented part above the plug hole and measure from the indention, or measure from the bottom of the boat in the middle of it (lowest part which is the centerline). I fooled around with the jackplate earlier but can't get it into the Ohio river due to high water level and closed gate at the ramp. Boat and motor are about level, held yardstick on centerline of bottom of the hull and pulled out to motor, measured to center of back of bullet to yardstick, and bullet is about 3 1/4" below centerline. About how close is this? Would this be a good starting point or should it be jacked up a lil more to about 2 1/2 to 3" below centerline?
Ok if the info you are giving us is correct and it sounds like it is..........You are at about the right hieight on the plate to start dialing here in. The important things to know are MAX rpms when running flat out......that is jacked up on the trim. If your new to bigger motors and dont have alot of seattime be careful. Even this como can get ya into trouble if you dont know the "feelings" of a boat. If you are comfortable than GIVE HER HELL. The other important numbers are the prop size and and brand and how well does she come out of the whole. Should fairly well hump onto plane when all else is set correctly. You may have already answered some of my questions.......there was so many on this post I had to read 3 times to get here. LOL if you have answered I'll be back with a recommendation.
Old 05-16-08, 09:36 AM   #28
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

If you mash the throttle from standstill, what does the motor do ? Do you have to back off to keep the RPM down. With all plugs removed you are allowing lots of exhaust pass over the prop = lots of slip. You want to tune the prop with the holes so the motor can spool up to 3-3.5K rpm (give or take) so it is making enough power to get you out of the hole. It needs to slip some but not too much...another happy spot tpo find.
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 05:26 PM   #29
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yes it does have a stop I had a heck of a time with my last boat till I found the ajustment screw behind the pedal and removed it.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 06:26 PM   #30
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em
BassFishin.Com Member

Laser, you're right, there are a lot of post. The prop is a Tempest 23 pitch.
When I mash the throttle, the rpm goes to about 3-3 1/2, but i'm not exactly WOT, but anout 3/4. If it's mashed to the floor, the rpm rises to about the same but as the nose rises, they go to over 4g. The dealer did a compression test and said all cylinders were fairly close. But who's to say what "THEY" say is the truth. But I can believe it because the motor doesn't have over 100 hours on it, probably closer to 60 hours, if that (previous owner didn't take it out too often). Sometimes when I take off the boat sounds as if the prop is "blowin out", and sometimes occassionally it sputters, but it's only for a second, litteraly 1 sec but rpm's never drop. Guess I'll check for a hot foot stop and watch throttle plates/levers.
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 12:37 PM   #31
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I checked for the throttle plates opening fully, and they are opening fully. Did a compression check, lowest was 120 and highest was 130. This isn't even a 15% difference so it looks good. This was also on a COLD motor. I didn't feel like hooking the hose up.
Old 05-18-08, 02:39 PM   #32
1FASTLASER

Ok I have gone back and reread again and here is what I see. First off correct me if I am wrong. This boat is a second hand boat correct???? Second after the comp checjh and checking throttle plates it does sound as all is well. When you got the boat you said it was 1/2 or 3/4 below pad correct and running at 5100 rpms at WOT with a 23 Tempest. Ok here is what I see.

Toons will run decently. You have a 18 1/2ft boat with a stock (I figure) 150 running 55 GPS speeds at WOT water pressure being at 13-15 with a jack plate setting originally at 1/2-3/4 below pad. There is no problem other than getting in and learning to drive this boat. This is a high performance boat with a pad on it. They react differently than the previous boat you owned. WHOLE DIFFERENT animal. With the original settings that you stated the boat was set up to run with very little positive trim (hitting the trim button)..........this is good and someone was heading in the right direction with this boat. Alot of positive trim on todays hulls is not good with the newer props. The more level you can get your hull to run at higher speeds the better setup you will have. It sounds as though the Tempest has been worked. The only true way to know is talk to the original owner and or borrow another 23 Tempest and give it a shot. I would be willing to be there will be a big difference. The reason the rpms are down from 5600 is because the prop has been worked. You DONT have to run this motor at 5600 to acheive maxium hp. ALL boats run at different rpms and acheive there highest speed at different rpms. My suggestion is put everything back where it originally was and DRIVE IT.........LEARN THE BOAT. Then if ya want more speed after getting in SEVERAL hours of seat time I would and the others would be more than happy to get you running hotter. I shoulda told ya before that particular motor actually makes all its hp at around 5399 rpms so you see you are knocking on the door bud. Ifn ya want more then we start talking tooners......that will get you a little more as well as cutting the heads a little. Now we just broke into the 60's real hard. Remeber this is a stock 150 on a 18 1/2ft boat.
Old 05-18-08, 11:30 PM   #33
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em
BassFishin.Com Member

Laser, you are correct. I bought the boat as used from a dealer. I am the second owner. And I think I measured just a lil wrong on those first measurement (1/2 to 3/4). I did a quick measurement and think I measured to the wrong spot. It was really about 1.5. Way off. But after hearing where to measure I came up the right one. I have it set now at about 3 1/4 below pad. I think I ought to start here and make a few runs first, then start jackin up again, or do you think I oughta raise it to about 2.75 to start off with?? And yes the prop is a 23 Tempest. All vents removed. Should I maybe put a plug or two in???
Old 05-19-08, 05:30 AM   #34
1FASTLASER

Ok everyone that told ya to start here was correct. That is one of the best places to start height wise on dang near every hull out there. Keep a close eye on your water pressure and your rpms. You know what a good holeshot is. You cant have fantastic holeshot and blazing topend...............there will be a happy medium. What you are trying to acheive is the highest rpm when running WOT and the motor is still pulling. In other words there will be a few 100 rpms some times more on one type of boat then others where the motor gains rpms but you just cant gain anymore speed. That is normal and you cant do anything about it except start swapping props. Your motor will live longer and happier is you get her to around 5500 when running flat out. Take your j/p wrench with ya and load the boat like you normally fish. This way the end result will be better for ya. Now start making runs and recording what is going on. With each run raise 1/2 and make a mark.record what happened. If speed came up and water pressure stayed up and you still have a decent holeshot do it again. Remeber where you are trying to get and keep in mind that this is a stock 150 on a 18 1/2ft boat. You can set this boat to run with the Tempest you have. There may be a better pro for your rig. Each and everyboat is different. If your gonna fish mainly start looking around for a Trophy Plus to try. They are FANTASTIC fishing props..............jump you outta the hole and 99.9% of the time you only loose a mile or 2 on the topend and that can be gotten back with some blueprinting and balancing which I will get into later.
Old 05-19-08, 09:08 AM   #35
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Glad ta see ya comin' ta your senses on tha rpm thing . XR series,2, 4 and especially tha 6 do like a little more than tha "normal" 150's.........T
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 05:36 PM   #36
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em
BassFishin.Com Member

Hopefully the ohio comes down to where i can launch. It's only like 5 min away. If not I guess i'll load'er up with fishin gear and head to some lake.
Old 05-23-08, 08:52 AM   #37
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Plugs

As all others started, you are on the right track and have a good plan. I would put some plugs back in that prop. You want the motor to spool up and make some hp to get you out of the hole but if the prop is losing bite/blowing out/ventilating then you need to close them down.

Be careful, I remember the first time my 20X got loose high speed.
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 12:03 PM   #38
Hook'em-AND-Cook'em
BassFishin.Com Member

Plugged all three vent hole with a medium plug and now the boat jumps out outta the hole awesome. Its amazing what a $6 set of pvs plug can do. Boat ran 58.9 mph gps down river with 3 people totaling 600 lbs. Only thing is once you the tiniest wave boat rides pretty rough unless its trimmed way down, but then the speeds drop trimming down I've come to an assumption that the higher you raise the jackplate the rougher it rides in anything other than glass water. Is this true? I ran WOT trimmed all up 58.9 at 5200 rpm with about 18 psi water pressure. I want more speed but I don't want it to ride like **** in rough water cause I mean how often is it you get to ride on glass water for very long b4 you run into the pleasure boaters wake
Old 06-01-08, 03:30 PM   #39
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the rough ride is a toon trade mark -welcome to it-

zooker
Old 08-30-08, 10:48 PM   #40
billproxs
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to billproxs Send a message via Yahoo to billproxs
Default hi guys i'm yes new to this board?

I'm a long time triton boat man,I'm involved with triton boats everyday guy's.I am answering questions just about all Triton's.from jack plates,props proxs motors,elect,sonars,gps,etc.
That 23 tempess plus prop is right,and that motor should be set in the 3 bolt hole on that motor.TOM MOODY from triton boats will tell you to just measure from the top of your motor where it mounts on the transom to the top of the Jackplate?,you will get reading's like 3.5 to 4.5" by doing this.Measure from the middle of the motor mounting brackets,where the round circle area is to the the top of the Jackplate.mark both sides of Jackplate with a marker.Its very important to get both sides of the Jackplate exactly the same on both sides.Most plate's usually never go up or down in an even way.That tr186,does not have the triton vortex hull,so you should get a really good solid boat ride.most those tr185-186 hulls seem to run best at 3.5 to 4.5 above the transom.I've set up more transoms on boats at triton tournaments,I've even went up to 5" on the plate,but way to much rooster tail above the motor,you always want th e rooster tail to be just at or slighty above the motor at WOT.
iF YOU ever have any Triton problems call TOM MOODY AT TRITON BOATS,HE WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY WHERE TO START.1-615-792-6767.SORRY GUYS FOR GETTING IN THE middle.hope this helps.
Old 01-03-13, 05:50 PM   #41
lilmule

One should measure from the pad on all boats not transom.,or motor mount holes.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-03-13 at 06:39 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 06:10 PM   #42
joedog

billproxs thank you for the contact number.
I know a few Triton owners and they will also want me to thank you.
AND

I REALLY like the old posts.
Just tells me you have a great interest in what WE all do, helping each other out.
So if I never welcomed you...I am now.
I'll confess...at first I thought you joined just to sell some stuff but I was WRONG. For that I apologize. Plus I saw you joined in 2008 but until recently I never saw you post. So actually you should welcome ME.

AND

I get to see what ZOOKERS thoughts were!
So thanks again!
Old 01-03-13, 06:38 PM   #43
MississippiBoy

What we have here is a failure to communicate......

Mule, I don't see any new posts above yours. All I see is billproxs' post from 8-30-08. I wonder if one of the bots that are floating around here made a post, then the system (or Kevin, a mod, etc) deleted it for spam or something.
Old 01-03-13, 06:41 PM   #44
lilmule

I dug it up as looked at his threads,as for the contact number now in arkieslaw,I presume.
I refreshed main page and it came up,thus posted,havnt a clue why no new posts,after posting,yet appeared to be when I posted,and yes thought he had dug it up.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-03-13 at 09:12 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.