Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-28-12, 02:27 PM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 10 inch worms

Question. I usually use a 5/0 hook when fishing 10 inch worms. Does it make any sense to use a larger hook. I read somewhere that lots of times fish will attack large worms head on. I have also read were some of the pros use 6/0 and 7/0 hooks. Plus the worms are so long already what good would the bigger hook do?
Just thinking.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 03:04 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think most people use hook that are to big with worms and senkos. I rarely go over 3/0.

When I fished Rage Tail Anacondas all the time in Florida, I'd use fish a 5/0 or 6/0 heavy wire hook. However I always fished them weightless, so the heaver hook was needed to cast them and to get the fall rate I wanted.

I find that the smaller hook you can use the more freely the worm moves. Think about it as the worm having joints in it like you arm or leg. Without a cast on, them you can move them freely and natural about. But put a cast on, and you're stiff as a brick, with the exception of being able to move your wrist.

It's the same thing with a worm. If you've got a huge section of the worm stiff with the hook than it can't move about naturally and freely.

Hope that was a good analogy! Good luck!
Old 06-28-12, 03:23 PM   #3
merc1997

most people in my opinion use a hook that is much too large. you do need a heavy wire hook, but probably nothing ever bigger than a 4/0. i use 2/0 and 3/0 most often. i also do not use the standard worm hooks. i use a 60 degree leg jig hook with a hitchhiker to secure the plastic to the hook. this set up will increase your hook up ratio. plus your bass will consistently be hooked in more solid place, resulting in not losing your bass after you hook him.

bo

Last edited by merc1997; 06-28-12 at 03:26 PM. Reason: i had mentioned a video that is not on this site.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 06:08 PM   #4
oglejust

i use a 3/0 or 4/0 hook
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 12:04 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to use a 5/0, 6/0 and even 7/0 hook (all EWG) when I used big worms (10" and bigger). I was missing a ton of fish and never could figure out why. Most of my partners were catching a high percentage of the fish that bit them and I was getting very frustrated trying to figure out why I was having this problem. Then only difference I could find was they were using a 4/0 offset worm hook. I made the switch and I started getting way more bites and hooking up with a very high percentage of the fish that bit. I can't really explain why I am hooking more fish because the smaller hook still seems like it would be less likely to hook a fish, but I think the more bites is because the smaller hook doesn't kill the action of the worm like the bigger hook does. Either way the only hook I use on 10" worms now is a 4/0 offset worm hook.
Old 06-29-12, 01:20 PM   #6
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i sometimes use my stock of fee trokar 5/0 magworms for my skinny dippers.
Old 07-02-12, 01:43 AM   #7
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
i sometimes use my stock of fee trokar 5/0 magworms for my skinny dippers.
I have know idea what this post means. LOL, I'm sure it was meant to be a joke, but that's as much as I can figure out.
Old 07-04-12, 10:10 PM   #8
waldershrek
BassFishin.Com Member

Maybe it has something to do with his sig line
waldershrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.