Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-07-13, 02:22 AM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Respooling trick

Hey guys, since a lot of us are starting to gear up here is a trick that will make your new line go a lot further. Instead of pulling all the line off just pull off 2-3 long casts worth of line and respool that. No bass will spool you, and when you start to feel the knot you know it is time to replace the line again.

If you are using braid spool up most of the reel with cheap mono and finish up with the braid. I can spool up several reels with a filler spool of braid doing this, and the braid does not need to be replaces very often.

Along the same line, if you fill the reel with braid you can recycle it by reeling it from one reel to another. Where on one reel the line may be getting worn by winding it on to another reel the line that was at the "bottom" of the reel is now on top, essentially fresh, new line.

Finally, still regarding braid, if you get one of those major professional overruns you can salvage the line by taking a crochet needle and working it out with that. I have avoided surgery on the line many times using this and saved the line. It may take a little time to work it out, but it will save the line, the cost of having to replace the line, and the satisfaction of knowing you saved the cost of the line as well as knowing you can fix the problem yourself.
Old 01-07-13, 09:30 AM   #2
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
when you start to feel the knot you know it is time to replace the line again.

When you replace the line at this point, measure how much line you are throwing away. I'll wager you throw away nearly as much line as you have used up.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 09:03 PM   #3
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like you're talking about baitcasting gear. I use spinning and have been using cheap mono backing for years. Whether I've been using mono or braid, I put enough backing on such that I have room left for about 60 yards, give or take, of the line I actually fish with.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 09:25 PM   #4
T7HeadTurner
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
If you are using braid spool up most of the reel with cheap mono and finish up with the braid. I can spool up several reels with a filler spool of braid doing this, and the braid does not need to be replaces very often.
I was thinking about this topic last night.
I was thinking if it's better to use a thin Mono Diameter........
( say I'm using 65lb braid which is the same as 14lb Mono (at least for my brand).
So like 6 or 8lb test, because the braid won't want to squeeze threw the gaps of thick Mono...?
Old 01-07-13, 10:24 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7HeadTurner View Post
( say I'm using 65lb braid which is the same as 14lb Mono (at least for my brand).
So like 6 or 8lb test, because the braid won't want to squeeze threw the gaps of thick Mono...?
I have actually found the opposite to be true. My line seems to dig into lighter backing far worse than heavier backing.
Old 01-08-13, 02:12 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have a mega spool of big game #20 that I got on sale that I use for back spooling.
Old 01-09-13, 07:29 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7HeadTurner View Post

T7, I try to use the same diameter line. I use 50lb braid which is the approx. diameter of 12 lb mono so I use that for backing.

Marty, you are correct. I was referring to baitcast gear. I usually completely respool spinning gear, but now that I think about it there is no reason not to just partially respool it. For some reason that has not occurred to me before

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.