Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 12-17-12, 03:20 PM   #1
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Which Reel

I just bought a 7' 1" M F St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass rod. I'm having a hard time deciding what reel to put on it. The two I'm looking at are the Abu Garcia REVO STX Gen 3 or Shimano Chronarch 200E. I'm planning on using this rod for mainly plastics. Senko's, tubes, grubs, worms, small jigs, and small spinners are what I'm thinking. I've always liked Shimano but the Abu Garcia has better on paper specs. I haven't ever fished with a high end Abu Garcia so I wanted to see what everyone on heres opinion is of the two.
Dylanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 04:52 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

revo......nuff said,lol.
Old 12-17-12, 06:27 PM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't know, I have not used or seen the inside of the gen 3 reels yet. I do know that the Chronarch E is a fine reel. What I have heard about the Gen 3 stx is that a lot of folks that got them don't like them. It may just be that those are the vocal ones and that there are plenty of folks that love them, but it sure seems that a lot of forums have comments that folks didn't like the gen 3. The common theme seems to be the size and shape of the gear box. A lot of folks say that it makes the reel uncomfortable to use. That might just be a bunch of BS, I don't know, but i would make sure you mount one on a rod and hold it in the store in casting and cranking positions to see if it's comfortable to you. Other than that, they should both be excelent quality reels.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 08:47 PM   #4
bamabassman

dylanl...take my advice with a grain of salt buddy. i am biased ok? lol. pro reel is MUCH more knowledgable than i am.
Old 12-17-12, 10:28 PM   #5
Bassboss

I'd also opt for the REVO. I love allot of faith in shimano after what they did with the new line up. I think the STX just looks like a better reel hand down as well. Although, having never used both, and can't give an honest review to either.
Old 12-18-12, 12:08 AM   #6
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't own either reel, although I do have a few Curado 200E's, (basically the same reel as the Chronarch, only green.) They are great workhorse reels and will give you years of service if you take care of them.

As for the Gen 3 Revo's, I have no experience. I will however echo what proreel said, these reels are getting some scathing reviews for their lack of ergonomics and rapid wear. Do yourself a favor and read some of the reviews on some of the other gear related forums. Abu generally makes great stuff and I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy the Revo, just be aware of some of the early problems being reported.
Old 12-18-12, 01:00 PM   #7
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

I had read some of the ergonomics stuff but not the rapid wear. I'll have to look into that more. I'll definitely go to the store and see how they feel on a rod. The Abu just seems better on paper. Lighter, smaller, more bearings, swept handle. I haven't seen it in person yet though. Maybe holding it will give me a definitive answer.
Old 12-18-12, 04:22 PM   #8
aikenyounggun

I love abu, I still haven't gotten a gen 3 but am probably buying an SX soon.

Abu's are great reels.
Old 12-19-12, 01:42 PM   #9
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm getting a lot of people saying the Chronarch 50E on a different site. The main thing they're saying is the size of that reel is better suited for plastics. Any truth to this? I was kind of leaning toward the Abu until I kept getting that answer.
Old 12-19-12, 06:48 PM   #10
3dkicker

Take the rod with you. See if they'll let you put one on the reel to see how they fit the rod and your hand. If you bring your own line and a lure they may even let you spool them up and play with them. Then you'll really get an idea of which one you like better....
Old 12-19-12, 08:22 PM   #11
keithdog

Ok, not sure your going to want to hear what I have to say, because I want to steer you away from both. I love my Revos and have the STX. Not gen 3 but it's a heck of a nice reel. However, I also own a Revo SX, and I would have to say I LOVE that reel. LOVE IT. Plus, I am seeing the SX on sale here and there, last version. They have a new one now. You can pick up last years SX far cheeper than the gen 3 STX and have yourself a he** of a reel. Think about it. Better yet, put one on your rod and get the feel. For the money, I'd buy a dozen of those SX reels!
Old 12-19-12, 09:57 PM   #12
Tavery5

People are passionate about their fishing equipment, but it certainly does not mean that they understand the differences between one brand of reel and another.

Your question might yield you better information, if you ask, "Can someone please explain the difference between a Shimano Curado E and a Revo STX Gen 3. Those that know reels will have no problem providing your requested information, and it will weed out many of the replies that this reel is better than that reel because it is what I use.
Old 12-20-12, 11:09 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Your question might yield you better information, if you ask, "Can someone please explain the difference between a Shimano Curado E and a Revo STX Gen 3. Those that know reels will have no problem providing your requested information, and it will weed out many of the replies that this reel is better than that reel because it is what I use.
I couldn't agree more. To the OP:

What I, or anyone else on the site uses shouldn't affect your decision. We use what we do because that's what fits our needs the best. We can help you find what works for you though.

You mentioned you've always like Shimano. What is it specifically about their reels that you like? Does anything new on the Abu interest you?

BB
Old 12-20-12, 12:42 PM   #14
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

I've always liked Shimano because they've just worked for me. I've never had any issues with them and they've always got the job done. The reels I've had are smooth and seem to cast well for me. I've just always used Shimano really. I took a look at the Shimano again yesterday but the Abu wasn't at the store I was at unfortunately. The Abu looks appealing to me because of the on paper specs that are seemingly a little better than the Shimano. Lighter, smaller, more bearings, swept handle. I've never had a problem with Shimano but the Abu Garcia reels seem to be ahead as far as specs go. I know on paper doesn't always lead to better performance but its got me interested. If I didn't like one I could always sell it and try the other one but I wanted to see some opinions on them first. I mainly want one for lighter plastics. I'd like it to cast light plastics well with a good smooth cast. Also comfort is in there so I want to get my hands on the Revo before I would decide.
Old 12-21-12, 10:25 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanl View Post
I've always liked Shimano because they've just worked for me. I've never had any issues with them and they've always got the job done. The reels I've had are smooth and seem to cast well for me. I've just always used Shimano really. I took a look at the Shimano again yesterday but the Abu wasn't at the store I was at unfortunately. The Abu looks appealing to me because of the on paper specs that are seemingly a little better than the Shimano. Lighter, smaller, more bearings, swept handle. I've never had a problem with Shimano but the Abu Garcia reels seem to be ahead as far as specs go. I know on paper doesn't always lead to better performance but its got me interested. If I didn't like one I could always sell it and try the other one but I wanted to see some opinions on them first. I mainly want one for lighter plastics. I'd like it to cast light plastics well with a good smooth cast. Also comfort is in there so I want to get my hands on the Revo before I would decide.
Let me start by saying I have no hands on experience with either of these reels. Although I do have experience with the previous generation Citica and very very minimal with the Curado E, which is essentially the Chronarch (aka "Curadarch"). I also own a second generation STX.

Comparing the previous Shimanos to the previous STX, the latter is smoother in a buttery smooth kind of way. Given the trend with Pure Fishing's reels (Abu and Pflueger) and I would wager the new STX is as well.

The bearings probably won't affect performance too much, Shimano puts bearings where they count, the STX's extra bearings are more of a luxury thing. But bearings in the handle, possible levelwind system, etc. will give you that more smooth feeling.

I can tell you the Curadarch should handle the lures you want to use just fine. Someone with more experience with the Revos can tell you on the STX as I use mine for heavy plastics/jigs/frogs and haven't really tried it on lighter stuff.

As far as comfort goes, I can't comment on the Gen 3 STX. I don't know how different it is from the second generation. I personally don't care for the Curado E/Chronarch E ergonomics (like I said, same reel, new paint job). But again, this is a personal thing and I'm in a small minority on this one.

To wrap up, I'd recommend the Abu for your needs. In my personal experience of wanting to try something new and deciding not to: you'll still wonder about the Abu if you don't try it. Secondly, I think the reels are most likely on par with each other as far as performance. And like you said, if you don't like it, take it back and get an exchange.

BB
Old 12-22-12, 02:06 AM   #16
Rebbasser

What 3d said. try to get each reel on the rod and see which one feels right to you. That way there will be no doubt as to which one to get.
Old 12-22-12, 01:22 PM   #17
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

I finally had a chance to see the STX yesterday. The store was incredibly busy so I didn't ask to put it on a rod but it felt pretty good. After the holidays I'll go back and ask to put it on a rod but right now I like it. I think the itch to try something new got me.
Old 12-22-12, 09:46 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanl View Post
I finally had a chance to see the STX yesterday. The store was incredibly busy so I didn't ask to put it on a rod but it felt pretty good. After the holidays I'll go back and ask to put it on a rod but right now I like it. I think the itch to try something new got me.
Sounds like you're making an educated decision, that's all you can do. I have my favorite reel maker but I like trying new stuff too. Some of my favorite reels are outside of my normal brand, I never would have known if I hadn't tried them.

You should also keep the Chronarch 50E on your list for a later purchase. It's a great little finesse reel that handles light baits really well but holds enough line and is powerful enough for standard weight fishing as well.

Be sure and let us know how you like the STX after you get it and use it a little. Like you said, on paper it looks awesome.
Old 12-26-12, 03:22 PM   #19
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

Which gear ratio would be better for this setup 7.1:1 or 6.4:1?
Old 12-27-12, 08:51 AM   #20
keithdog

For soft plastics and jigs, I prefer a higher gear ratio for picking up slack line fast incase the bass inhales and then moves towards me. I want the slack line retrieved fast before hookset. However, with spinnerbaits I prefer a ratio around 6.4:1. There is very little slack line when working spinnerbaits, plus the slower retrieve makes working spinnerbaits easier. Be sure to pay attention to the reels IPT, inches per turn. One companies 7.0:1 ratio may be 31 inches such as the Revos, while another companies may be only 28-29 inches.
Old 12-27-12, 10:37 AM   #21
BigBassin144

Like Keith said, retrieve speed is more important than gear ratio. Something with a retrieve speed of 28-32" will work fine or any of these techniques. This fall right in light with most 6.3:1 to 7.1:1 reels. If you've got a choice in the same reel, I'd probably go faster rather than slower.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.