Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-12-07, 01:55 PM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default how does a bite feel like on a tube?

hey yall,i was wondering how the bite from a bass on a tube differs from a regular plastic worm and a jig. i am going to learn tubes this year and hopefully jigs,so i was just wondering what the bites felt like,thanks!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 02:13 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it can be the same, however a lot of times they just pick it up and swim away, so pay attention to your line at all times!...over all tho, its a LOT like a plastic worm strike, ya feel the peck and then the line moves.
Be prepare to reel n the slack if you notice the fish swimming towards the boat!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 02:39 PM   #3
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Most of my bites on a tube you just feel like a small tug on the end of the line. It is not a radical reaction like a spinner bait.

As JB posted, watching your line is a must with tube fishing.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 04:25 PM   #4
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I think it depends a lot on how your tube is weighted and also on the wind conditions. If it's windy, I'll usually throw a tube with 1/4oz weight or more, but if wind conditions are calm, then I usually go with a 1/16th oz. tube jig head inside the tube. If you're throwing more heavily weighted tubes, you can expect the same kind of bite that you'd get on any soft plastic. But if you're throwing the 1/16th oz. tube, then you've got to really pay attention. I don't throw the light tube on tight line, nor do I throw it on a completely slack line, but somewhere in the middle so that if there is a peck, then I can either watch or feel it. Sometimes though, more often than not, I'll lose a fish because I'm simply not paying attention, like when the tube is supposed to hit the bottom and send the line a little slack, it doesn't. The line won't be moving, but I'll wait and wait, eventually pulling up for another jig of the tube, and getting surprised by a fish on the other end. I've found that about 90% of the fish that do this to me are smallmouths. If the fish are doing this, then you'd better beware because they'll snap your line in a split second once you realize they're on.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 05:16 PM   #5
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

9/10 of my tube bites are just the line moving.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 05:16 PM   #6
pig n jig

If your not used to watching your line, get ready to swear alot.The real key to my success with tube baits has been applying smelly jelly. I guarantee you will catch a better ratio of fish when using smelly jelly. The smelly jelly is so greasy, they have got to chew on it to keep it as it squirts out of their mouth as they try to swim away with it.You will know that a fish is biting your tube, its fool proof.Well almost anyway. The other very important thing when tube fishing, is to know when its time to change the tube bait out for a new bait.You will catch multiple fish on the same tube bait and then you will get bites, but when you set the hook the rod tip loads up momentarily and then nothing.You missed the fish ? This happens again and again. You think the hook must be dull, you reel it in take the time to replace the hook and put a new tube bait on and your back in business again until the same thing happens ?Make a mental note, not to cut the hook off, just change the bait.The bait will bulge on the hookset after a few fish where it will not allow a solid hookset.Its going to happen, just remember to change the tube bait out , apply smelly jelly Bass Hammer scent in the paste and it will increase your catch ratio. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 06:35 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
If your not used to watching your line, get ready to swear alot.The real key to my success with tube baits has been applying smelly jelly. I guarantee you will catch a better ratio of fish when using smelly jelly. The smelly jelly is so greasy, they have got to chew on it to keep it as it squirts out of their mouth as they try to swim away with it.You will know that a fish is biting your tube, its fool proof.Well almost anyway. The other very important thing when tube fishing, is to know when its time to change the tube bait out for a new bait.You will catch multiple fish on the same tube bait and then you will get bites, but when you set the hook the rod tip loads up momentarily and then nothing.You missed the fish ? This happens again and again. You think the hook must be dull, you reel it in take the time to replace the hook and put a new tube bait on and your back in business again until the same thing happens ?Make a mental note, not to cut the hook off, just change the bait.The bait will bulge on the hookset after a few fish where it will not allow a solid hookset.Its going to happen, just remember to change the tube bait out , apply smelly jelly Bass Hammer scent in the paste and it will increase your catch ratio. P N J

PNJ,

Where do you get this smelley jelly? I've never actually seen it at a store that I can recall. And is it a get your hands in it type scent, or can you use a squeeze tube(like put it in a lotion container tube)? I've read a lot about you loving it, might just try it out.

Lizards
Old 02-12-07, 07:21 PM   #8
pig n jig

Lizards,As soon as I order some more for next year, I will be sure to drop a jar in the mail to ya. I buy the 4oz. pro guide jars.Its the worst stinking and most messy stuff you will ever use. And it might be a problem if you don't keep it in the cooler in warmer temperatures, because it will turn to a liquid at higher temperatures.You ask why the hell would anyone use it if its so much trouble ? Because its the best jig scent on the planet. P N J
Old 02-12-07, 07:25 PM   #9
pig n jig

http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/w...LY%20-%20PASTE

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...se.cfm?PID=219

2 scents I use the most are Bass Hammer for most plastics and Crawdaddy for jig fishing .P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 02-12-07 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-13-07, 01:01 AM   #10
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
The other very important thing when tube fishing, is to know when its time to change the tube bait out for a new bait. This happens again and again....put a new tube bait on and your back in business again until the same thing happens......just change the bait. Its going to happen, just remember to change the tube bait out P N J
I don't know if I could have said this better myself I definitely recommend using as many tubes as you can and trying many different colors too !!!!

It is very similar to fishing other plastics. I do like swimming them over grass and when the bass are aggressive you get explosive strikes. Sometimes you'll see the wake heading towards the bait. Don't set the hook too soon!!

Last edited by 3dkicker; 02-13-07 at 01:21 AM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 10:44 AM   #11
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

When you guys are talking about replacing the tube because it "bulges" after awhile, are you fishing the tube texas rigged? Just asking because when I use a jighead that slides up in a tube, the only time my tube needs replacing is after the bait's head gets torn up from contact with rocks and fish teeth.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 11:10 AM   #12
Captmikestarrett

There are three types of tubing.

Flipping big El Producto Tubes: Bite is just like worm.

Weight in tube: Hook forward and cold water is just a spongy heavy feel or it swims away. Hook in middle causes tube to glide and bite is a little more pronounced.

C-rigged with foam insert: Wham fish on and no way you can miss that bite..

Capt Mike
Old 02-13-07, 12:17 PM   #13
skeeter944

thanks guys! yall answered my question and some!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 05:16 PM   #14
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Driz View Post
When you guys are talking about replacing the tube because it "bulges" after awhile, are you fishing the tube texas rigged? Just asking because when I use a jighead that slides up in a tube, the only time my tube needs replacing is after the bait's head gets torn up from contact with rocks and fish teeth.
Yes, I don't like to use the jighead inserts, I like to use the lightest tungstun weight I can get way with and leave the weight unpegged.I don't like the inserted heads, because the hook is exposed out the back, its easy to snag up on the bottom debri , with a T-rig, I use a Owner rig n hook which I can skin hook in the tube to make it snagproof.I am not always correct, its just what I have found that works well for me ? P N J
Old 02-13-07, 05:24 PM   #15
HOG Ranger

If I fish them C-Rig I will stuff a foam earplug (we have thousands of them at work) into the tube and it makes it float.
Old 02-14-07, 04:50 PM   #16
3dkicker

HOG - Do you find that they float straight up and down and not vertically? I attempted this years ago on a c-rig and found that the tube floated up very quickly and then stood on it's "head" straight up and down. I found the foam to only work with fishing the baits weightless on the surface.
Old 02-14-07, 07:31 PM   #17
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
HOG - Do you find that they float straight up and down and not vertically? I attempted this years ago on a c-rig and found that the tube floated up very quickly and then stood on it's "head" straight up and down. I found the foam to only work with fishing the baits weightless on the surface.
Depending on the size of the tube sometimes they will float more vertical than horizontal. If that happens I will add a tiny splitshot or use a very light weighted jig head until they float horizontal. You can drop them over the side of the boat and see what they are going to do.
Old 02-15-07, 05:21 PM   #18
3dkicker

A suspending c-rigged tube?? Seems to me that some law of physics or hydrodynamics is being broken here.
The only way I see this working is if you constantly dragged the weight across the bottom and the resistance of the bait causes it to suspend behind the weight.
Too much work --- throw a suspending deep diving crankbait!!!
Old 02-15-07, 09:24 PM   #19
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
A suspending c-rigged tube?? Seems to me that some law of physics or hydrodynamics is being broken here.
The only way I see this working is if you constantly dragged the weight across the bottom and the resistance of the bait causes it to suspend behind the weight.
Too much work --- throw a suspending deep diving crankbait!!!
That is the intent. The weight drags along the bottom and the ear plug causes the tube to suspend a foot or two above the bottom. Once you pull on the c-rig and stop the tube will start rising again and you will get bit.

As for work, it isn't anymore or less than a regular c-rig.
Old 02-16-07, 11:03 AM   #20
Captmikestarrett

It is a killer in emerging grass BTW..

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.