Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-05-04, 09:24 AM   #1
lil_bill_dance
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lil_bill_dance
Default Lucky Craft is it worth the price ?

Before I started using Lucky Craft lures I balked at the price. But this has been my experience.....I only have to buy one Lucky Craft lure. They always come out of the box running perfect and I do not have to change the hooks, They also will hold their finish much longer than most I have used. I do fish other brands of crankbaits, but when I purchase them I normally buy 4 or 5 to make sure I get one that runs right after I tune it and some of these I just can not get right. So for me I consider Lucky Craft somewhat competitive all things considered.

What are your thoughts ?? Lakeguide
lil_bill_dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 10:55 AM   #2
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9
Default Re: Lucky Craft is it worth the price ?

LR, I think quality in cars warrants a large price tag, but with lures, I can't think of too many that I can't get qualities that a close or adequate. Fish aren't always picky, so I don't usually see the need.

Sammies can be subbed with Yozuri jerks or Lew's Speed Pencil at much less and comparable action. Senko's can be subbed with Wacky Worms or Assalt Sticks. I can make Yamamoto Cut Tails from Speed Worms and rings worms fused.

Some cranks must be bought for unique action and color qualities, price aside. So if an angler is impressed by something the lure offers and does well on that lure, price is immaterial. It comes down to personal preference and feeling right about tackle, whether it be line, reel, hooks or lures. If Senkos are your big worm producer, stay with them, but keep in mind that there are alternatives, some good, some junk.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 11:56 AM   #3
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

being the crankbait fan that i am, i have at least one of every crankbait on the market.I have several Lucky Craft, as well as the ones named by Sam.

I find the Lucky Craft to be better than most, but not the be all, end all. And as far as the fact that the other cranks don't run true right out of the box..I like that. Good. I like an erratic swimming action. If it veers, let it.You don't want it to swim 6' to one side, but i think you get my meaning. And i have found very few of the modern cranks that run poorly out of the box.

You seem to be with Lucky Craft, like I am with Pflueger Reels, and Falcon Rods. Spoiled. ;D There may be higher reels/rods or cheaper reels/rods that are as good as or better, but not for MY money.

That's the bottom line. What YOU feel comfortable spending YOUR money on.

JMO
Charles

BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 12:06 PM   #4
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[quote author=bassboss link=board=news;num=1094387086;start=0#2 date=09/05/04 at 10:56:26]That's the bottom line. What YOU feel comfortable spending YOUR money on.

JMO
Charles

[/quote]
i feel the same way
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 12:26 PM   #5
bassguy2004

As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for". I have a hard time looking at the Lucky Craft lures for a purchase. I can easily subsitute like Sam said and get the same action for probably for 1/4 of the price. I'm not cheap by any means just thrifty.
Old 09-05-04, 12:37 PM   #6
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Heck, I would love to own a Lexus, but my used Celica gets me around in comfort, reliably and at a fraction of the cost.

Sam
Old 09-05-04, 01:34 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lake
i have several lucky craft crank baits. being the type that modifies lures be cause of poor quality is some thing that i am used to in a crank bait. yes at first i too thought they were a tad high for a production bait... then i opened the package the first thing that got my full attenion was just how sharp the hooks are-guess how that occured-they are a bigger hook than you would find on most baits of equal size. i have never had to sharpen them yet over a year of fishing rock an timber. the finish is the finest i have ever seen in a produced crank anit cracked or chipped yet. it run great the first time and every time since then. i have never modified any lucky craft baits that i own.

all in all lucky craft makes production crank baits that are as good if not better than many hand crafted cranks being sold any where. and the cost is about the same for a hand carved crank as a lucky craft. it does not bother me any more to drop 16 bucks or more on a lucky craft crank.cause i know it will be right the first time no guess work...and you can quote me on that...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 01:42 PM   #8
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

As Zooker said, I also have alot of Lucky Craft baits. Some of my baits are the pointer series. Man these baits will catch fish when all others fail.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 05:19 AM   #9
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

I have been bass fishing for a long time, and have used most every lure that has come out in the past 15 years or more. I have been duped into buying a lot of stuff, some of it worked and some of it didn't. I am not going to sit here and say that lucky craft lures aren't great baits. I own a few and I think they are quality baits, but I won't buy another one. It is completely outreagous to charge that much for a bait, I don't care what it is. I really do, I mean come on. The whole bait probably didn't cost the company 2 bucks to make and they are going to charge 15 bucks for one crankbait! I have fished them and I do see some difference in the lucky craft and others. The lucky craft do run better, and the hooks are better, but not 15 Bucks better. I thnk the price is completely ridiculous, and it will come down, you watch. Good fishing.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 04:24 PM   #10
szimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to szimmerman

I just got to throw this in here:

Rebel Minnows is what I have spent nearly $11.00 on so far and they're are we'll worth it ;D ;D ;D There about $5.00 and run great. I'd take them over any other jerkbait brand-anytime ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

here's a web.:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

here's some images:

Also,

take a look at one of the discriptions for a Rebel Minnow, I think it really shows/prooves something:

The 5-1/2" Rebel "stuck" the world-record freshwater striper--a 59-pounder caught from the Colorado River. The same Rebel model still owns the all-tackle world record, with a 79-lb. monster caught in the Atlantic Ocean. That's tough...and Rebel guarantees the same sturdy construction in every minnow.

-StetsD
szimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 04:28 PM   #11
OhioBass

[quote author=senkosam link=board=news;num=1094387086;start=0#5 date=09/05/04 at 11:37:49]Heck, I would love to own a Lexus, but my used Celica gets me around in comfort, reliably and at a fraction of the cost.

Sam[/quote]
same here man, im 13 and my bike gets me around
Old 09-08-04, 07:44 PM   #12
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

No, they are not worth it.Not only no, but hell no they are not worth it. You have got to have more money than brains. ;D They don't make a Lucky [s]shaft[/s] craft jig do they ? ??? P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 11:46 PM   #13
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

I like Rapala ;D

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 05:08 AM   #14
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

In the hands of an adept angler, even the cheapest lure takes a on a life of it's own that is rarely matched by an inept angler that uses the most expensive model made.
Same goes for any quality component we own. The talented work magic from mediocre tackle; the untalented get frustrated.

In the day of mass produced lures, little variation occurs concerning quality within the same line and company. Automation makes either a slew of adequate lures or defective junk which ends up on clearance shelves. Bass Pro is great for having fire sales on junk without telling the public about defects.

A few years ago they dumped Matzuo crank and jerks for half the catolog price. One out of four lures couldn't be tuned properly due to poor internal weighting or off center lips and the action of some jerks was sluggish. Matzuo then came out with an economy line that was sold at Dick's that was actually better than the junk BPS got rid of, except the hooks and rings were garbage.

Even if the name suggests quality, doesn't mean the lure is worth the price tag. I've given up buying Senkos and do as well with other sticks. Granted, not all sticks are equal, but I rely on my skill to make them catch fish as long as they come close to Senkos.

Everyone knows I create hybrids of soft plastics that will do better than many lures at certain times concerning quality and quantity of fish. These lures average less than 25 cents each but will outfish a $20 crankbait by a large margin most of the time, under a wider range of conditions. That's the nature of jigs and soft plastics when versatility in application extends the lure's value way beyond the hype and larger price tag of another similar or different lure.

I throw cranks and topwater 1/8 of the time; spinnerbaits and bulky jigs another 1/8; the rest is dedicated to soft plastics and smaller jigs. I assume I'm not alone in this seeing how fast soft plastics are depleted off racks versus other lure types that collect dust (until there's a clearance sale.)

Sam
Old 09-09-04, 09:19 AM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re:  Lucky Craft is it worth the price ?

[quote author=senkosam link=board=news;num=1094387086;start=0#13 date=09/09/04 at 04:08:37]In the hands of an adept angler, even the cheapest lure takes a on a life of it's own that is rarely matched by an inept angler that uses the most expensive model made.[/quote]

Well said, and I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
I throw cranks and topwater 1/8 of the time; spinnerbaits and bulky jigs another 1/8; the rest is dedicated to soft plastics and smaller jigs. I assume I'm not alone in this seeing how fast soft plastics are depleted off racks versus other lure types that collect dust (until there's a clearance sale.)

Sam

I would say that I'm right at the same percentages, with the exception of topwater, which I fish probably 1/4-1/3 of the time. Probably because I prefer fishing low light conditions, such as early mornings, late evenings and night.

Sam are you a writer by any chance? You're very articulate with your wording and phrases 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 09:28 AM   #16
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Lizards. I barely passed English and still don't know what a preposition is! ;D

But, practice (and a lot of editing), makes (near) perfect.
Rick Zaleski is a writer's writer whom I envy for style and wit. Russ Bassdozer, on the other hand, probably also, just barely passed grammer.

Sam
Old 09-09-04, 10:04 AM   #17
OhioBass

guys i usally use those cranks you get at wally world for some around 3 bucks.....im a big fan of cranks and iv caught plently of fish on them....plus if you buy a lucky craft crank what are you gonna do when you get hung up....thats why i buy the cheap 1's...if you lose them,you havent lost much
Old 09-09-04, 12:18 PM   #18
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=senkosam link=board=news;num=1094387086;start=0#15 date=09/09/04 at 08:28:11]Thanks Lizards. I barely passed English and still don't know what a preposition is! ;D

Sam[/quote]

That's where you offer money for er uh well you know

Oh never mind I thought you wrote Proposition :

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 02:44 PM   #19
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

;D ;D ;D

Sam
Old 09-09-04, 06:36 PM   #20
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

how do u tune a crank bait
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 08:45 PM   #21
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

taken from my post, crankbaiting 101.

Tuning A Crankbait:
Fortunatly, most of the premium baits available today usually do not need to be tuned before use. However, if your bait should begin to run off to on side, tune it as follows.
Hold the bait in your hand facing the bill. If the bait runs to the right, bend the eye SLIGHTLY to the LEFT. If to left, bend to RIGHT.Repeat until bait runs true.

Charles
Old 09-09-04, 09:08 PM   #22
bassguy2004

So, if Lucky Craft lures are worth the cost of admission; then the Rico baits by Rickey Clunn are as well? I checked out a popper at a store near by and they run $25 dollars and the crankbaits are $35. Who knows?
Old 09-09-04, 09:14 PM   #23
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Once the lure runs straight, watch the wobble. If the wobble appears awkward or sloppy in any way, switch to a larger split ring or try using a loop knot.
Crankbaits only achieve their maximum depth when they run straight.

Sam
Old 09-10-04, 12:18 AM   #24
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

[quote author=bassguy2004 link=board=news;num=1094387086;start=0#21 date=09/09/04 at 20:08:19]So, if Lucky Craft lures are worth the cost of admission; then the Rico baits by Rickey Clunn are as well? I checked out a popper at a store near by and they run $25 dollars and the crankbaits are $35. Who knows?[/quote]

get out of that store,
and never look back...

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 12:26 AM   #25
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassguy2004 link=board=news;num=1094387086;start=0#21 date=09/09/04 at 20:08:19]So, if Lucky Craft lures are worth the cost of admission; then the Rico baits by Rickey Clunn are as well? I checked out a popper at a store near by and they run $25 dollars and the crankbaits are $35. Who knows?[/quote]

er :-[ , well, :-/ there is such a thing as insanely overpriced.

Knowing Rick, they are probably hand carved.There is a lot of time that goes into that, so a slightly higher price tag is expected, but i mean really;That is just stupid.

Besides, after getting my lures from Chip and useing them, no lucky craft, no rick clunn outrageous lures, are any better with any better finish. A different finish, maybe, but not better.

Chip, you done won another faithful.. ;D

Charles

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.