Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-27-04, 12:07 PM   #1
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9
Default Why learn a new lure or technique?

Easy - versatility!

An analogy would be someone who uses tools. Learn the proper function and uses of many tools, and any job become easier and more efficient. Same for fishing.

You don't hammer a nail with a drill bit; you don't use a streamer without weight in 35' of water or as a bottom scouring lure.

It pays to know the water you fish by finding out bottom composition, depth ranges that hold fish, structure types, temperature, clarity and anything else that makes lure choices limited to a select few. Versatility means having a clue as to which lure categories (in general) will do the job.

As Mike said, you learn quicker by comparing notes with someone who has gotten past the stage of, "can this lure really catch fish?" and "where can this lure catch fish?" For example, you've read about the topwater strike and something called walk-the-dog. You may have never seen a topwater strike, but enough people have posted about it that you know it is a real possibilty that it may work where you fish.
So, you buy a Zara Spook, practice walking it and ask questions as to the temperature and depth range of topwaters, types of retrieves, is color important, Â*line type, and all the areas to work the lure that people have caught bass or pike in. Once you've gotten hit once by a savage head-&-mouth blur, the flashbulb memory is yours forever and you've just increased your versatility by a 1000 fish potential.

(note: I rate a lure by it's potential to catch the most fish in one's lifetime.
i.e. a grub has a 1 million fish potential and a crankbait a 50,000 fish potential - based on average use duing normal warm water season, considering weeds and depth considerations. A plastic worm, I would rate at one million fish potential! But remember, no one lure is more important than any other unless it has more potential than other lures during an hour, a day or a season.)

So, if you known how to catch fish on a jig and a plastic worm, you've mastered two lures with a two million fish potential in your lifetime. Master a spinnerbait, add another 75,000; master a large spoon - add 1500 fish; master an in-line, add 3000 fish, etc. This is the top potential of each lure based on the best anglers in the world and their average need to cast them. (Potentials will vary based on how skillfull one is and the waters one fishes, of course.)

If you want to only cast a Rapala or popper, be happy with a 2000 fish lifetime potential. Â* Â*Your choice ... as usual. If not, always be tuned into what can work and where it (or they) can work, given a specific set of conditions. You will never cease to be amazed.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-04, 12:48 PM   #2
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Re: Why to learn a new lure or technique?

I could not agree more. I have mastered the art of Crankbaits, but I am versitle enough to fish any lure, anywhere.

I bet i have a 2 billion fish potential, as many baits as i have. LOL

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-04, 01:14 PM   #3
killmatik
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to killmatik

i totally agreed. i used to have 0 confidence in plastics.. and then i went out one day and dedicated myself to them 100% and caught almost 20. :P
killmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-04, 02:54 AM   #4
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR

WOW!
Nice post Senko!!
I totally agree with your view on the potential of the lures, it was really an eye opener for me!

I think I might increase my fish potential by a few million
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-04, 09:44 AM   #5
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Lou,
I figure that the beauty of the sport is that it has a millon faces and individuals only discover a small number on their own. Before I joined a bass club, my learning curve was almost flat. Once I fished with many others (12 tourneys - 12 different parntners per year), I picked up ideas and formed new beliefs concerning finding and catching fish. Well worth the lost sleep and expense!

I've been fortunate to have fished with those that excelled in techniques I'd never seen and figure it's time to pay it forward (Kevin Spacey movie).

Maybe 80% of opinions about fishing are b.s., like Zooker pointed out about my posts, but there is a bit of truth and relevance to much of it that can't but help stimulate thought processes. The most fantastic meditation in the world of nature.

Sam
Old 09-28-04, 06:30 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

This is why I keep trying cranks, and spinners, and PNJ etc... There is a better lure for each given situation, with differing conditions. Good post Sam.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-04, 07:21 PM   #7
bassguy2004

Everything we carry in our tackle boxes or soft sided boxes; no matter how we manage to get our stuff to the lake; has a potential to catch almost every fish we cast to or cast close to. Having said that, why not try something a little different. Like shake the worm or add a rattle to something you've never added a rattle to before. In the end it's probably something the fish have never seen before because you thought it up or you presented it in a way that no one presented it before. This is why we fish. A creature that has a brain pitted against another creature with a brain; living in entirely different environments. Anyway, try what feels right. You may never know, that elusive fish may be on top of next point you cast to. Sorry I sometimes go off like that because I love to fish.....
Old 09-30-04, 07:59 AM   #8
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I totally agree Senko! Right now, I'm working on my jig learnin' and Carolina rig learnin' ;D
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 09:28 AM   #9
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
has a potential to catch almost every fish we cast to or cast close to. Having said that, why not try something a little different.
You never know when the whole body of water will be turned on to something new for that year. Last year I poured some 5" fat grubs and clobbered bass, picks and crappie. No one I know ever used them last year. But this year, the wacky-was-on and the grub was less effective in that size. 2"-3" grubs did much better.

Good point Bassguy

Sam

Old 09-30-04, 08:24 PM   #10
bassguy2004

Default Re: Why learn a new lure or technique?

Sam, when I fish with my club, more times than not I have been asked "why are you using that" and usually the answer ends up on the hook. Another words, I try my hardest to think outside the box. So many of our club members are locked in to using the same type of bait they used 2 weeks ago because it caught fish. Sorry, I try not to think that way.
Old 09-30-04, 10:35 PM   #11
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch
Default Re: Why learn a new lure or technique?

New is good, been tryin to work on PNJ. Then Ill turn around and try somethin else I feel isnt one my stronger skills.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.