Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-12-04, 08:36 PM   #1
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9
Default sharing info about specific water

How often do you share the locations of your best waters with acquaintances or strangers? I'm speaking of specific public lakes, ponds, streams and rivers that may not be well advertised and get low pressure. In the n.e. the population has exploded in counties north of N.Y.C. since 9/11 and with it, a large increase in anglers. There is a forum that states if you tell about a good experience on a water, you must reveal it's location or not post it.

My belief is that the more people that fish a location, the more trash left behind, less parking, more inconsiderateness and LESS FISH FOR ME! A gem is not a gem if everyone has one.

What's your veiw?

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 08:51 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: sharing info about specific water

Sure I'll tell people about one particularly good lake I fish... then I'll tell them that its a private neighborhood lake and they're not allowed to fish it ;D

As for the junk stuff, there is WAY TOO MUCH of it in the lakes,rivers, and ponds around here. A lot of it isn't left by people who fish, its just people that are out there and couldn't care less and they throw their beer cans, tires, chip bags, soda bottles, even lawn chairs into the water. I hate it cause there are a lot of people like that around here and it messes up a lot of stuff.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 03:02 AM   #3
killmatik
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to killmatik

I look at it a bit different.

Fishing for me is supposed to be fun. I wish people would give me good spots around here to fish.. I.E smaller bodies of water with lots of fish so i can build confidence and start to fish bigger waters. I cant just go to Clear Lake and expect to do well, since I have barely any experience.

If i find one of these places, I figure it's a good thing to share with people who are looking to have a great time. Thats what I do it for, so why be sefish and not share the fun with others?
killmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 07:01 AM   #4
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR

I only share with people who share with me! ;D

Nothing is as bad getting on the water before dawn driving miles to your favorite spot and the finding someone already fishing it!!!

That just sucks!!
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 07:32 AM   #5
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Word spreads faster than a clearence sale at Dick's. Each man for himself and the h*ll with everyone else, including locals.

Sam
Old 09-13-04, 03:13 PM   #6
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

No problem telling others about the lake that I caught the fish on. But I won't (if possible) let them know the exact place. Granted, in tournaments you almost have to reveal your spots.
In this case I tell my co-anglers not to tell any one else.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 07:14 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

to good friends and guys i don't fish against very often i will share what i was using what lake i was on and let them figure it out -they anit THAT dumb-but seeing i have never meet the person who posted above me-bassman30- we fish the same lakes and the same areas-great fishing minds think a like-just impart differant techniques in the same area.

still a thanks for the heads up on the island...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 09:47 PM   #8
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I don't have any qualms about telling people about a large lake, but for small ponds that I shore fish from, I tell only a few trusted friends. Some of these ponds have only one or two spots that produce and/or just a couple of access points and having another fisherman or two there can negatively impact my outing.

Plus these small ponds are more susceptible to a decrease in fishing quality resulting from fishermen removing the bass. It just isn't worth it to tell strangers about these places.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 09:53 PM   #9
bassguy2004

I have no problem telling someone how I caught fish on any particular body of water. As lakes go, I firmly believe if I told any one on this site I caught fish at 15 feet on wood in lake X, then I would expect those same people would be able to do the same. Secret spots phooey.
Old 09-13-04, 10:06 PM   #10
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I have no problem telling people a little about where I'm fishing, but I always try ro remain vague enough to make them still work to find the fish. I don't like to give up my honey holes....but I will sometimes talk in code...much like a criminal who thinks he's pulled the perfect job and kinda has to brag. ;D
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 11:46 PM   #11
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Where I live, there are about a dozen small rivers, river estuaries, ponds and a few small lakes that are usually productive and have little pressure. Structure is limited to small areas, similar to the few productive pools in smallie streams. I don't want the competition, the crowd or strangers picking apart the easy targets that have been available to locals for years. These places are mostly cartop and not easy to locate. Peace and quiet prevail and it's just me and nature doing my thing on my days off. I've done the homework, spent the time and gotten to know the patterns and bottom well.

Two moderators on a local site that insist people tell about their local water if they want to "brag" about their catches, but yet never have anything to offer concerning their local spots and are more than willing to invade my backyard. If you live a good distance from me and want to fish with me as well as reciprocate, great.

Larger impoundments and rivers are not a problem. Heck, I'll even tell you which creeks are hot on which tides or what depth fish are hitting lures in deeper water lakes. But I would consider it foolish to allow the word to be spread about lakes and ponds near home that may open the gates to a flow of outside anglers bored with their local, more difficult waters.

Confidenciality is not in many angler's vocabulary.

I don't have time to travel to new spots north. Population growth will eventually crowd my areas, but why rush things?

Sam
Old 09-15-04, 12:10 AM   #12
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Ill give them a general area, usually it involves 2-3 places. Example: I was on the NE corner earlier and grabbed a few but then moved down off the reed line, pretty good but decided to try another spot up on the SW side, pretty good there also. Have fun. This way Im still givin some info but vague enough to make them work a little.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 05:45 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

ill tell people i no well about some spots i fish only if they catch and release though
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 05:41 PM   #14
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Only my friends know where I fish.

They don't really like fishing anyways so it's ok. ;D
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 06:02 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Well since I don't fish tournaments YET. And I actually want others folks to catch fish I'm usually pretty liberal with my info. However my honeyhole is a private coal pit, and to most folks it's unaccessible, so I don't worry about it. I fish on local reservoirs also, and I'm always talking to others fishing as we pass, and I always tell them what is working and where for me. If more folks catch fish and get HOOKED ON BASSIN, then there is more to support conservation. Just my 2 cents, now if I was fishing a tournament I would give so much misdirection, they'd be looking behind themselves for the spots ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 10:50 PM   #16
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

The site I was referring to just did a complete overhaul of many of the restricted polices and moderation practices that got quite a few people up in arms.
This includes having to reveal local waters.

The fix was something I never would have thought of. If you're showing off a pic of youself and a fish, tell something about how you caught it. We've all seen fish, and a pic without a story is dumb. But the topic it should be posted in, is Tackle and Techniques, of course. This way people going to that section will see what they expect to.

If a person wants to volunteer info about his waters, it's on his head and must be put in the topic area concerning Places to Fish, which is what I now understand, as it's function.

The site will now move on to further improve and be one of the best bass fishing sites on the web. Though I'm banned, I have no hard feelings because everything I hoped would change has changed for the fine folks on that site. www.NYBASS.com

Visit it, you'll agree!

Sam
Old 09-17-04, 11:28 PM   #17
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

you guys are the only people i give my secrets to...lol im so selfish....espically when it comes to fish ;D
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.