Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-02-12, 08:26 AM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default jig question

I have a friend who has just started pouring his own molds. He has offered to do some for me also.
Shakey head, standup jig heads etc. Plus of course i will have to buy all my skirts for jigs he pours.
My question is what is your preference on skirt materials. Do i get rubber or some other type of material.
Plus any tips on hook eyelet placement etc.
Thank you
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 10:39 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There have been numerous threads on silicone vs rubber. A search should bring them up so you can read about the advantages and disadvantages of each.

98% of the jigs you buy off the shelf are made with silicone. You can buy premade skirts from big name companies or also from lure parts suppliers. The latter is most likely cheaper. Or you can make your own using silicone skirt material.

BB
Old 10-03-12, 08:10 AM   #3
willowblade
BassFishin.Com Member

The two main types of skirt materials are silicone and round rubber. Most of the jigs that are on the market are made with silicone skirt material. Round rubber is another material that can be used to make jig skirts.

The silicone skirt material is more limp and easy to work with. The round rubber has a more buoyant effect to it, and it will look alive in the water. Something else that you can do is mix silicone and round rubber together. There are hundreds of colors that are available and mixing and matching different colors to get the desired pattern is a part of the fun. The possibilities are endless!

Check out Jann’s Netcraft for jig making supplies, as they have a really good selection of skirt material. They also have a skirt making tool that is very handy and easy to use.

Skirt Material for fishing lures

Also, here is the video that will walk you through making your own silicone skirts with the skirt making tool.
You Tube Video – How to make your own fishing lure skirts
willowblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 01:31 AM   #4
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

you should consider rubber, silicone, and hair. they all have a time and place to use.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.