Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-19-12, 05:40 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Koppers Hollow Body Field Mouse

Hey Joe (Jrob), have you had a chance to try out the Koppers Hollow Body Field Mouse yet? I know you wrote about wanting to try it this season. Or has anyone else tried it yet?

I am in Iowa fishing with my dad this weekend, and he warned me before I got here that the lake he fishes most often is almost exclusively a top-water lure lake now because of all the thick weeds/green slime/mats that are everywhere. So on the drive down yesterday I decided I would try my field mouse first and see how that went.

I have two of the 3/4 oz (3.5") version, one brown/white and one gray/white that I picked up at Cabela's this past winter. I tied the brown/white one on my 20 lb Power Pro Braided line, which was spooled on a Shimano Symetre spinning reel on a 7" H Cabela's Fish Eagle II rod. There were 25-35 mph winds, so I started out by casting with the wind. It wasn't long and I was hauling in a nice 17.5", 3lb 4oz LM. Before the night was over (just under 2 hours of fishing), I had landed 5 LM total, with a 3lb 12oz being the best and three others under two pounds. My dad caught only one -- a 2lb 12oz LM on his poppin' frog. I missed the hookset on one, had another nice one on for quite awhile and then lost him in some thick slop/weeds. I had a few other swirls, but ended up hooking 6 of the 7 that I attempted hooksets on, so that was encouraging.

I was out at the lake by 5:30 this morning, caught a small one on my second cast and another small one shortly after that. Within two hours I had caught 5 total, with a 3lb 4oz being the best. It was at least as windy as last night, if not even worse, so I was pleased that this lure would get their attention and entice them to hit it in such rough waters. I missed one hookset, so am now up to 11 of 13 for hookset percentage. And the other thing I should mention is that this thing casts a mile...even dead into a huge wind!

Later in the morning we headed to some gravel pits to see what was going on there. In less than 90 minutes there, I had landed 4 more on the mouse. Two of there were hawgs...for down here anyway...4lb 5oz, 18.0" and 4lb 2oz, 18.5". No missed hooksets...now sitting at 15 of 17, which is way better than I would do with a frog. I'm not sure whether to attribute that to the lure or to overly aggressive fish.

At this point I'm planning to pick up at least one more mouse before we head up to our cabin for the week next Friday afteroon!

If anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them. I'll post pics after I get back home to MN tomorrow.

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 06:19 PM   #2
Jrob78

That's awesome Dean! Live Target makes some really fantastic baits. The hard baits I've used are great and the frogs are too. I haven't gotten a chance to fish my mouse yet. I haven't been anywhere where the vegetation has taken over the surface yet. Two of my favorite local ponds are getting close though. The mouse will be the first bait I throw. I'm glad you're having such good luck with yours, that makes me even more excited to try mine out now!!
Old 05-19-12, 08:38 PM   #3
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Good to know. I have picked my mouse out of the box a couple of times, only to decide it wasn't time yet...maybe it is.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 11:02 PM   #4
WatterBoy

Nailed two more on it tonight -- one was 2lb 3oz and the other was another really good one at 4lb 5oz, 19". Had 3 other hits, 2 that missed it and one that was my fault for going for the hook set too soon. Looking forward to hearing how it works for others!
Old 05-25-12, 08:50 AM   #5
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks for the review. I'm always on the lookout for a good frog, or mouse. I'll probably give these a try.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 10:55 AM   #6
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Thanks for the review. I'm always on the lookout for a good frog, or mouse. I'll probably give these a try.
I should have also mentioned that these things cast GREAT, even dead into the wind. The only downside I can come up with so far is that you have to kind of "reassemble" the mouse after each fish caught. There are some pictures at the end of my (long) post here if you want to see what I mean. I can live with that kind of downside.
Old 05-25-12, 12:41 PM   #7
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

As long as they float and don't soak up a ton of water I'll be happy.

Good luck on the opener tomorrow . Usually I'd be up there for it, but I'm going in July this year.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 01:17 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
As long as they float and don't soak up a ton of water I'll be happy.

Good luck on the opener tomorrow . Usually I'd be up there for it, but I'm going in July this year.
They definitely don't ride as high in the water as a spro poppin' frog does, but they did well in the light topwater slop I was fishing. It will be interesting to see how cleanly they come through it in three weeks when I am back down there again and it is much thicker. It took on some water, but nothing that I would call a nuisance.

Thanks for the good luck wishes for opener tomorrow. I'm pretty anxious by now. If the weather cooperates, I'll be fishing at least part of the day for the next EIGHT days!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.