Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-16-13, 04:53 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Five days on Michigamme -- clear water smallmouth?

Heading to make Michigamme with a friend and his family next week. Going to be five days and five nights of fishing. The lake is completely the opposite of what I've fished before. Deep, super clear, rocky water. Smallmouth, pike, muskie, walleye, crappie, perch, and bluegills. NO LARGEMOUTH!

I'm really hoping to get into some good smallmouth action, and know I will with these guys, but want to seek ya'll input as well.

The bass should be toward the end of the spawn according to the North American Fishing Club spawn map.

To my knowledge, they should be spawning in around 8 - 10 feet of water and susceptible to sight fishing IF the water is calm enough. Prime spawning flats should be close to some sort of deep water structure.

The area around Dutchman Point looks fantastic, as does the area around Presbytery Point. I'm thinking to throw perch colored tubes, and drop shot Gobi's to them. My buddy tells me 4" dingers are also killer!

But having no experience fishing this type of area to bank on, I can't really say for sure.

So where would fish, and what would you throw?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-16-13 at 05:48 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-13, 06:27 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like a plan,I do believe however that in clear northern lakes smallies spawn deeper than that 8-10-12 ft here on ky lake,more like 16-20 in very clear.8-12ft occurs with say 1 1/2-2 ft visability,ive never seen a smallie on the nest here as out of sight.I have largies and spots in as little as 2 ft or as much as 4,when clearer,few times a year we can see down say 6 ft,the spawning flats are normally murky at least here.
Not into drop shoting or gobie imitations simple shakey head with a watermelon candy finesse worm for me but if it what you want to do go fer it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-13, 06:32 PM   #3
keithdog

That center group of islands looks good to me. I myself would be going after walleye and smallies. One killer method you could use is very simple, and learned it from a Minnesota guide. In fact, it was all he ever used. A simple plain 1/8-1/4 oz short plain ball jig head with a 3-4 inch live minnow. Run the hook point into the mouth and out top of head. Cast out and slowly crawl or hop it back. I did this around a group of islands once and really cleaned up on Cass Lake MN. No hairs or skirt on the jig, just a plain head jig. Catches about everything that swims. My brother caught a nice musky doing this. I recommend medium action spinning gear for this.
Old 06-16-13, 06:48 PM   #4
nobass

ramesy island and cardinai point. looks like a good funnel point. if you have any lay downs in 10 to 20 feet along shore line live shad hook like keith said and let spinning reel bail open till you see line move off. i used spit shot 16 th to 1/8 oz and a no 1 or 2 abereen hook on 10 lb test line. but all the places look great to me. either way have a great time and good fishin
Old 06-16-13, 10:06 PM   #5
Bassboss

Thanks for the tips guys! We'll check a little bit deeper than 8-10 feet, and we plan on throwing live bait for a while, so we'll see how the jig head minnows work!
Old 06-17-13, 07:58 AM   #6
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bassboy... If Dutchman and Presbytery points have scattered rock on the flats around them I'd be spending a lot of time there. 4" grubs fished in the rocks; suspended hard jerkbaits over the rocks; soft jerkbaits if there are lots of weeds and walking top water baits early and late.

Find the rock.

Have fun!!!

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 11:07 AM   #7
WatterBoy

I get a lot of my bigger Smallies on our lake with Pop-Rs and Zara Spooks. I sight-fished one that cruised by our boat in about 8 feet of water last year and that was the coolest thing ever to watch it make a beeline for my Pop-R and smash it.

We also have really good look with 5" wacky-rigged senkos on a dropshot set-up.

Have a great time!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 11:32 AM   #8
MIbasser

Look for rock. And as watterboy said, pop-r's work great. If you get to the point and it's nothing but sand, move on. You will be hauling lots of water it you spend more then 30 seconds there. As I said first, find rock. Oh, and if you have a mayfly hatch and you have anything but topwater tied on and a t-rigged sinko (as a follow-up bait) you will hate yourself.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 03:15 PM   #9
Bassboss

Awesome guys thanks!! I'm definitely gonna have to learn to read a depth finder to help find them rock and gravel spots!

Can't wait to get out there, heading out tonight and will be on the water by Wednesday morning!
Old 06-18-13, 04:50 PM   #10
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I'm definitely gonna have to learn to read a depth finder to help find them rock and gravel spots!

If the water is clear you'll see them with your eyes!... Long casts!!!

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 04:25 PM   #11
3dkicker

Use the map as a reference to check out different areas but I'd spend a little time on the water checking different types of cover and find the baitfish....
Old 06-21-13, 08:57 PM   #12
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
That center group of islands looks good to me. I myself would be going after walleye and smallies. One killer method you could use is very simple, and learned it from a Minnesota guide. In fact, it was all he ever used. A simple plain 1/8-1/4 oz short plain ball jig head with a 3-4 inch live minnow. Run the hook point into the mouth and out top of head. Cast out and slowly crawl or hop it back. I did this around a group of islands once and really cleaned up on Cass Lake MN. No hairs or skirt on the jig, just a plain head jig. Catches about everything that swims. My brother caught a nice musky doing this. I recommend medium action spinning gear for this.
I'm actually in minnesota right now, was wondering if there were an easier way....might try that tomorow, I am probably gonna take a couple hours on mille lacs if it doesnt rain and I can find a smaller cove thats sheltered. I want a musky!

Thanks Keith
Old 06-25-13, 10:57 PM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I'm actually in minnesota right now, was wondering if there were an easier way....might try that tomorow, I am probably gonna take a couple hours on mille lacs if it doesnt rain and I can find a smaller cove thats sheltered. I want a musky!

Thanks Keith
Good luck Billy!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.