Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-27-14, 10:52 AM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Immediately After Rain…or During.

So I'm going out for a few hours today and it has been raining off and on today. I was going to mostly go frogging today with hollow body frogs as well as swimming frogs like Stanley Ribbits. But that was before the clouds and rain came in. So do you think frogging is still a good idea or maybe change plans and throw something else for the few hours I’ll be out?
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 11:07 AM   #2
mikechell

Frogging, still. Frogs love the rain. Fish love it when rain or wind blows food into the water, or out of cover. If you're fishing shallow, fish the frog as if it's always runnig from something ... fast skitters across the top of the water, short pauses. If your fishing a frog over deep water, long pauses will give a large bass time to sneak up to the lure.

Everything, that routinely lives in the water, can feel pressure waves as something rapidly moves towards it. Large predators might rush a bait, if it's actively feeding and there's lots to go around if it misses. But more likely is the slow approach. Once it is within range, then it rushes in and strikes.

But clouds shield the sun, rain roils up the water, and both of those make the fish more likely to be actively feeding.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 11:55 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think a frog is a great choice for fishing during or after a rain for the reasons Mike already mentioned. I've also done very well with small soft plastic worms worked weightless and spinner baits.
Old 06-29-14, 07:59 AM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One of my best days occurred on a day when it rained off and on and thunder and lightning,should have got off the water but the bite was to good.
We were trying out a newly discovered spot and it was also raining 3-6lb bass.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 06:25 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have to say the most insane fishing I ever did was when I was about 12 years old. I was at Lake DeSmet, in Northeastern Wyoming, and it rained as hard as I've ever seen it rain, for about an hour straight. Since after 10 seconds of it, we were soaked to the bone, there seemed to be no reason to stop fishing (to a kid's brain at least). That rain turned the yellow perch bite on to the point we filled up two Coleman coolers with them. It was absolute non-stop cateching...every cast. Needless to say, we ate a lot of fried perch the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-02-14, 08:23 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Rain and LGMouth is a great combo.. Wind can help if not blowing the roof off the barn.
Oddly the Potomac Pike do not like the wind and often hunker down in the grass and will not strike. With those eyes on the top off there head it must make them nervous seeing the pads move.

Isn't that odd?

Capt Mike
Old 07-11-14, 12:13 PM   #7
IowaBasser

Frogs are my first choice when it's raining... My theory is the fish aren't hunkered down this time of year trying to hide from the intensity of the sun and a top-water bite is more likely. I've had some great froggin' days in the rain!
Old 08-17-14, 09:46 AM   #8
Mac2

Black plastic worms fished weightless like Keithdog says......put the hook about a third of the way back, in and out the side, then pivot the hook and go almost through the worm with the point.....this will create a very enticing flat and slow fall.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.