Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-06-12, 02:36 PM   #1
diversified
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Changing Trolling Motor Voltage

Is there any hidden problems in changing the trolling motor system from a 36v. to a 24v.? I have a old 36V. motor and am thinking about buying a new 24v. Just wanted to ask before getting involved and finding something I hadn't expected.
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 05:30 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Problems most commonly occur when you upgrade the trolling motor to one of a higher voltage. Main problem being the size of the wire from the batteries to the trolling motor. Since you're going to a lesser voltage motor, the wire should be fine, as well as the breaker. You'll just have one less battery in the hold. You may have to change the plug recepticle and/or the plug on the trolling motor depending on what comes with the trolling motor.

My question would be why? Depending on model there is little difference in price between an 80# 24v T/m and a 101# 36v motor. The advantages of the 36V would IMO be well worth the less than $200 price differential. Other than the expense (and weight) of another battery, agian not that huge a price difference.

If you're already set up for a 36V and are used to using it, you may not be happy with that loss in power - that would be more/less noticable depending on the water you fish and how much you rely on the T/m during your fishing day. The 36v may also give you additional hours of operation during a day, again depending upon how much it is in operation during the day.

I run a 36v and would not think of dropping back to a 24v. But I have a 21' boat, fish a lot of T/m only water locally and water with current. You situation and needs may be much different.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 05:39 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well the size of the motor may draw more lets say you have a 12 v 52 pd thrust,switch to a 24 v same 52 pd thrust you draw less amps,even less when 36 v but then most are using 101lbs at that voltage but on 36v that 101 will use less than the 12v 52 pd thrust.
In most cases the 12v wire is sufficient when you change to 24 unless one is going mucho pd thrust im running 72pds on mine and same wiring,somewhat depends upon whats in it in the begining.A motor stuck in say weeds will draw more amps therefore a circuit breaker or fuse is needed.Often wiring wont be needed so can double up some,as only two needed to run in any or all voltages.If your boat has one of the old run,charge/12v switches lose it,can fry wiring in a heart beat if in wrong position.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.