Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-07-11, 05:45 PM   #1
racingfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Default brand new nitro boats...

Do anyone of you guys own or have any input on the new Nitro's? Specifically the Z-7? Have been considering buying one with some upgrades of course>
racingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 06:03 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't let them sell you one with a 115 on the back. 150hp MINIMUM.
Old 10-07-11, 06:31 PM   #3
racingfan
BassFishin.Com Member

It comes with a merc pro xs 150 standard.
racingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 10:04 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes it does also the smallest in the pkg think hes reffring to get one near what boat is rated for its rated for a 200 hp,at 18 ft 8 in and 3,000 lb dry weight it wont be a speed demon even then.Just read that weight in a review,so dont quote me,its an entry level boat that comes in a pkg,base price 23,900,add up the goodies to get something decent its another figgure.
More people buy the z9 or higher numbers,it does have good ratings or reviews.
Check out the features available and reviews then make your decision,based upon your own needs.
With the smallest standard 150 hp on it you will be passed frequently by 115 hp outfits,that are on lighter boats.And it would so equipped struggle to do 50 mph,even with a merc xs.
Unless you just desire brand new many good buys that are used out there example 2008 16,900 still with some warranty,same size range.

Last edited by lilmule; 10-07-11 at 10:18 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 11:28 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Yes it does also the smallest in the pkg think hes reffring to get one near what boat is rated for its rated for a 200 hp,at 18 ft 8 in and 3,000 lb dry weight it wont be a speed demon even then.Just read that weight in a review,so dont quote me,its an entry level boat that comes in a pkg,base price 23,900,add up the goodies to get something decent its another figgure.
More people buy the z9 or higher numbers,it does have good ratings or reviews.
Check out the features available and reviews then make your decision,based upon your own needs.
With the smallest standard 150 hp on it you will be passed frequently by 115 hp outfits,that are on lighter boats.And it would so equipped struggle to do 50 mph,even with a merc xs.
Unless you just desire brand new many good buys that are used out there example 2008 16,900 still with some warranty,same size range.
I agree with a lot of what you said but I disagree in a few areas. The Z7 is no longer rated for a 200, they reduced it to a max hp rating of 150 http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...toeshoes.jpg?t= . I believe this happened last year. I think it was a dumb move on nitros part because they had one of the few boats in that size that was rated for a 200 and that had to be a huge selling point on that model. I also disagree that the boat will struggle to run 50mph with a 150 on it. That boat would most likely run in the 60-65mph range. Nitro has come a long ways in the last few years. They are putting out a good boat no matter what other boat owners who are brand loyal will tell you. I do agree that they are available at a good price with a base package but it will sure enough be lacking in the bells and whistles department and even if that isn't an issue to the original owner it will make it harder to sell later on. Once you start adding the upgrades that it needs like better graphs and a bigger trolling motor to name a few, you will find yourself in the same price range as a lot of other brands. Not to say that they are better brands, just saying that it will leave you with a lot of comparing to do to make sure you get what fits your needs.
Old 10-09-11, 08:04 AM   #6
bassboogieman

Just an opinion from someone that has bought NEW & USED boats. A new 18" class boat is about the price of a 20' class boat only 10 years ago. Inflation, etc. has made a new boat a pretty large investment. If you're set on an 18' boat and have $25 - 30K to spend and want new, then go ahead. Myself, after buying several boats before moving up to what I REALLY wanted, and spending MORE money, probably would never buy new again. There are too many really clean, low hour rigs out there - especially now with the economy, guys that bought them (new) can't afford to keep them. It is a buyers market right now. Buying a boat a couple years old - that $30K could move you up to a 20' rig with a 225 HP. Most will tell you that's a better way to spend your money - UNLESS of course you really want that smaller boat. Again, a couple years old 18' rig, can be had for under 20K. NITRO would not be in my top 5, but that's me - the new boats may be fine, I KNOW the older ones were not. Bottom line, it is YOUR money, spend it anyway you like, everyone has their opinions. Boats, like cars, depreciate the moment you take delivery and can be 15 - 20% of the retail. Why not let someone else take that hit?

Another suggestion if you are set on NEW, now is not the time to buy, with winter comiing you won't use it. Prices may be cut a bit for an end of season sale, but the very best price you'll get on new is in Jan/Feb of next year. Boat/Sportsman shows can save you a nice chunk of cash, buying a leftover model just prior to the new ones comming out. Usually there is NO difference between the year models, other than very minor cosmetics. If you want NEW, that is probably the best way to get one.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 08:12 AM   #7
lilmule

Other than my knowledge about newer 2011 and 2012 models being reduced in hp (must have gotten an old web page as did look it up).
I like the merc xs
As for the low speed different models xs and pro xs,the latter being 431 pds,they do list the pro at 61 mph,getting about 4mpg,strapped on a z7.A competitors website lists the xs (not pro xs)at 54.
Each taken under conditions to achieve what each did.
My own allison with same pro xs without added weight such as passengers ,gas,tackle would bump over or to mid 70s out of the box.Add real life conditions,full tank gas ,tackle ,passenger it goes down a tad.Thus with a merc xs struggle 50 ish,Pro xs mid 50s,loaded,merely my opinion.However their own tests dont have it doing mid sixties,without a passenger without a full tank of gas and without tackle and trolling motor.
Lighter boats rated but for a 115 with an ho can hit 60 under same lab conditions they are just that a guideline.
They put together a nice pkg but like without $ spent quite lacking.
Also like you figure the reduced hp cap effected sales,and resale value.
My own opinion again look for an older used z7 that has a higher hp rating,in good condition,it would or should have a higher resale value down the road,and eq with something like a 175 be a decent pkg both in boat and preformance.
Old 10-11-11, 05:19 AM   #8
Hog Hunter
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Boats

I was looking at a Z-7 VS. a Trition explorer 18. Trition seems to want to sell pretty badly i have had two dealers call with prices.
Hog Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 08:27 AM   #9
lilmule

Fill out an online form wanting to repower you will have evinrude calling your home as well.
They desire to stay in business through sales and profit,very competitive business now days.From one end to the other so pays to compare.
Of those two triton has an edge in my mind,but my mind not yours.
Both brands just like cars have good models and some not so good depending upon where one lives and how used,the z9,tr20,tr21 are well liked for running ky lake and its rough waters.Notice they are all larger but location and how used.
Old 10-12-11, 02:04 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Hunter View Post
I was looking at a Z-7 VS. a Trition explorer 18. Trition seems to want to sell pretty badly i have had two dealers call with prices.
Keep in mind that my Triton is a 21X and I have absolutley no experience with the Explorer 18. But I will say that I love my Triton. It's fast, rides amazing, and fishes better than any boat I have been in. My advice is to crawl around in both models and see which one feels right.
Old 12-20-11, 12:32 PM   #11
Shimanoreels
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't have much info on the new Nitro's, but I can tell you about my experiences with one I bought new about 6 years ago. I purchased the largest fish and ski model they offer (cant remember model number). I researched a number of fish and ski boats before making the purchase. I have not regretted it for an instance, except for the fact that it may be a little large for our lake in hindsight. It has been a wonderful dual sport boat. Good for family fun, but also good for bass fishing. The two casting decks and the trolling motor are great. I know this is not exactly what you were looking for, but just wanted to let you know how happy I am with Nitro in general. An A+ experience!!
Shimanoreels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 10:49 PM   #12
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I do not own one but I know a marine owner that is working with Bass Pro research and development team to build a better boat. In the last 3 years Nitro has come around and started building a hull comparable to the big brand boats. Having fished a couple tournaments this year out of a 2011 Z8 it fished well but in choppy water the seats sent pain up your low back, basically they suck compared to my 2011 Triton 19XS. In 2012 Nitro is supposed to have air ride seats which will make their boats a lot more comfortable in rough water. I was also told that in 2009 or 2010 Nitro went from using 16 ounce marine carpet to using 20 ounce carpet which will last a lot longer. Personally I don't think the new ones would be a bad boat but with the reputation they have for being a lower quality boat the resale value is still not good on Nitros.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 12:35 PM   #13
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default I would buy 10 more Nitros

You can PM me and we can discuss. It seems no matter what you say on these boards you always come under attack. Especially if someone does not like your choice of thoughts. Instead of just disagreeing it gets personal.

Anyhow, I own a 2009 Z9 with a 250 and I absolutely love it. I have had four rangers in my lifetime pretty much back to back. I have no complaints about Ranger but I will just say the Nitro is much easier to own if that makes any sense. The entry-level price was lower of course but everything you ever hear about Nitro’s is not true. We have a friend that not only fishes the local tournaments but he is pretty much a die hard for clubs doing all the work all the time and he much fish 2-3 a week when he can out of his Z7. I don’t recall the power he has on it but he keeps up. His Z7 is either a late 90’s or early 2000 and of course he takes really good care of it, but he has not problems whatsoever. If I did not compete I would have not issue with a Z7.

All I can say about the Z9 is I get compliments from both people in the know and others. I would say almost every mid size tournament someone will say wow that’s a Nitro? The #1 selling reason I think you should consider a Nitro is the dealer network is expansive, parts are available and if it is good enough for VanDam I think it is good enough for us weekend guys!
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 01:04 PM   #14
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
You can PM me and we can discuss. It seems no matter what you say on these boards you always come under attack. Especially if someone does not like your choice of thoughts. Instead of just disagreeing it gets personal.
I went back and read this whole thread, and I don't see a personal attack anywhere. What I DID see was a snarky, passive-aggressive comment made by a singular individual who apparently has an ax to grind.
Old 12-21-11, 01:14 PM   #15
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Your correct

Your correct this thread does not have any and I want to keep it that way so a PM offer was made just in case. Just looking to keep the drama down. When it comes to Nitro boats for some reason it sparks animated discussions for some reasons. It's the ole Chevy vs Ford thing. It's a simple offer to PM don't read anything else in to it. Just want to give the guy my .02 on Nitro Boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I went back and read this whole thread, and I don't see a personal attack anywhere. What I DID see was a snarky, passive-aggressive comment made by a singular individual who apparently has an ax to grind.

Last edited by Vegasspider; 12-21-11 at 01:52 PM.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 01:25 PM   #16
kennethdaysale

I have determined that without exception the "smeller is the feller"
Old 12-21-11, 11:27 PM   #17
bassboogieman

Quote:
His Z7 is either a late 90’s or early 2000 and of course he takes really good care of it, but he has not problems whatsoever.
I looked at Nitro bass boats in Feb 2002 when I purchased my first 'glass boat (Triton) and there were no Z-series boats in the Nitro line at that time. They came a few years later, and I'm not a Nitro historian, but I'm thinking around '04 or '05 (but possibly later). The late 90's up to the introduction of the Z-series Nitros were NX-series boats. The boat I specifically looked at was a NX-882 which was comparable to the TR-186 that I ended up with. If your buddies boat is of the vintage you indicated it's likely a NX-series and not a Z-series. And they are very different boats with the Z-series a superior boat to the NX.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 05:44 PM   #18
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm actually purchasing a 2012 Z7 Sport with the 150 Opti Max. I went ahead and decked it out with a Lowrance HDS-7 with Structure Scan and the Sonar Imaging Bundle and had them put a HDS-5 on the Bow and Network the two to the Structure Scan.

I also had them put the iPilot on the Minn-Kota Trolling Motor.

Yes it's a Fish and Ski, but I damn sure plan on using it in local tournaments.

I'll keep ya updated on how I do, hehe

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.