Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-11, 11:17 AM   #1
dctineffect
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Drop shot rod & reel pair

Hi, long time forum reader, first time poster. Thanks for welcoming me.

I've been drop shotting for a while now and am finally going to get a DS specific set up- I was looking at the St. Croix Mojo bass spinning rod MBS69MLXF but hadn't figured out a reel yet. Any suggestions a reel for that rod or even a complete setup for DS fishing, rod and reel. Also, I've heard alot about using Flurocarbon line for DS fishing as opposed to mono or braid. I'm looking to get a DS setup that will last me a long time and want to do it right the first time. Budget is 200-300.

Been drop shotting for several years uneducated, now looking to do it right.

Forgot to mention I have a Pflueger Patriarch 9540- just mentioning incase anyone feels that is 'the' reel for any specific DS rod or is it too big etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Last edited by dctineffect; 12-19-11 at 11:37 AM. Reason: adding details
dctineffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 12:29 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I can't help much since I don't dropshot, but welcome to the site.
I know several guys on here that use a light braid for the main line, with a fluoro leader. That's all the advice I have, though.
Old 12-19-11, 12:40 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Hey dc welcome!
I'm certainly not the drop-shot expert around here but I do it enough to have an opinion. The rod is the key. Spend 60-70 % of your budget on a good quality, long, light and sensitive rod. 7' m xf Fenwick works good for me but with your budget and this time of year you can probably afford something much better. When picking a reel just make sure it balances well on the rod you pick, has a smooth reliable drag etc. Most drop shotting is done with 6-8 lb line so of course you need to factor that into your rod/reel decisions. I use a Symetre 1000 (maybe a little small but it balances perfect on my rod) Premium fluoro. is the best line. Where do you fish?
Old 12-19-11, 12:49 PM   #4
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree that scewing the budget toward the rod here is a good idea. If you can, up grade in the St Croix line to an AVS 68MLXF. ($180 +/-). The Pflueger President is one of the best bang for your buck spinning reels 6925 or 6930 is going for $60. I also use the braid/leader line.
Old 12-19-11, 12:59 PM   #5
Bender

I agree with the other posts, but it really depends on where you are fishing and what kind of weights you expect to use so that you get the right rod. I have 3 or 4 rods that I use for drop-shotting and they mostly depend on what weight or where I'm using it. Also for a long lasting rig, you might want to go with braid and use a fluorocarbon leader. After a while fluoro tends to develop memory on my reels and requires changing. Braid won't do that and you can use a tiny swivel if you are worried about line twist.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 01:11 PM   #6
dctineffect
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies-

I'm fishing in lakes- 3/16 +/- oz as a general rule-

I currently use a few st. croix rods so i know the quality and just how great they are. as well as the price!

With a rod such as the AVS 68mlxf or AVS 69mlxf would the pflueger patriarch at 8.1 oz. be suited (since i have it on the shelf)?
Old 12-19-11, 01:17 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Probably...buy the rod -rig up the combo- if you don't like it you haven't lost anything you've still got a great rod-if you do like it you can give your leftover budget to the monkey and have some fun.
Old 12-19-11, 01:31 PM   #8
dctineffect
BassFishin.Com Member

Any particular line and test you may use? Or just a premium flurocarbon?
Old 12-19-11, 01:43 PM   #9
bassboogieman

As mentioned - spend the bulk of you money on a good rod. I use a 7' M/f spinning rod with a Pflueger Supreme XT reel. I use 20# braid with a 6# - 8# leader. I own a half dozen Pflueger Supreme spinning reels and none are bigger than a size --35, but I definitely prefer a smaller spool reel for finesse fishing and go down to a size --30. The bigger spool would work, but I'd find a different use for it.

Just a note on my mating spinnnig rods & reels. I use a medium power rod and a size --30 reel, seems to work best for me. When I move to a MH rod, I also increase the size of the reel to a --35. I don't have any scientific reason for this, but that's what works for me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 02:01 PM   #10
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctineffect View Post
Any particular line and test you may use? Or just a premium flurocarbon?
Hey Jeff, welcome aboard!

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on the "right" set-up to use for dropshotting, but I can at least share what I use. I use a 7' MH Abu Garcia Veritas rod with a Shimano Symetre spinning reel (3000). I went with the 3000 instead of a 2500 because it is actually lighter somehow (9.9 vs. 10.1 oz.). I use 6 or 8 lb Seaguar Invisx line. I spend quite a bit of time dropshotting, but I just learned how at the very end of the 2009 season. I caught 32% of my bass on a DS in 2010, but that dropped to 15% last year because I had such great luck with Mac's zoomie rig, so it cut into my DS time.

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 02:03 PM   #11
rrw4258

Well, here on Lake Erie, dropshot fishing is what we do best for catching these big smallies, and dropshotting is a mainstay for us, all year long. The rod I use is a 7'2" Medium BPS Carbonlite DS rod, and a Pflueger Patriarch 9535 size. The reel is the perfect size for me. Big enough to handle fluorocarbon effectively, but is still ultra light at 7.4 oz. My line of choice is 8lb. Sunline Sniper Fluorocarbon. Some guys in other parts of the country can get away with shorter rods, and smaller equipment, but the smallest size DS weight I throw is a 1/4 oz. and 3/8 and 1/2 is the norm here on Erie, so I like the longer, and slightly heavier rod.

Ryan
Old 12-20-11, 07:24 PM   #12
dctineffect
BassFishin.Com Member

Gives me a lot to consider. Thanks again guys
Old 12-20-11, 09:27 PM   #13
Bender

I just went to Cabela's today. They have a whole case full of Shimano Stradic 2500 FI reels for $99. That's a great deal on very nice reel. I've already bought several this year and like them all.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 03:28 PM   #14
kiddelicious
BassFishin.Com Member

While I can't comment on the pfleuger or the mojo you are wanting/have, I do own and LOVE the avid 69mlxf. I use it for pitching/dragging for walleye, but this advice will fit you the same. it's worth the extra money, plus you can upgrade easily through st.croix and it has a lifetime warrenty. balancing the rod will depend on where you hold the rod(speaking about this avid, not others). if you hold the rod above the reel set near the blank then you do not want a 2500 size reel that is too heavy. i personally use a 1000 series shimano that weights 6.7 oz and it balances out PERFECT. if you hold the reel in between your fingers than you can go with a little heavier reel but you won't need to. don't go too heavy in a 2500 series if line is an issue for you(which if you use a leader, it shouldn't be). the rod is very light and sensitive. find the rod at a store and just put different reels on it and get one that feels right. the bulk of your budget when buying a finesse/jig set up should be on the rod. you need it to be very sensitive.
kiddelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 06:15 PM   #15
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like st croix stuff I use the mojo and the quantum energy spinning reel (the one with the pretty metal colors) I like it I hope to get the st croix legend in another year maybe.
G.F.3
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 03:36 AM   #16
joedog

Nothing to add but agree on pole importance and I'm a complete believer in the St.Croix line of poles. Own way to many. I personally use spinning equipment for drop shoting and I use Lake Fork Parallelium line, it's coply with floro combo. Will sink and almost zero memory.
Also welcome to the board!
Old 01-16-12, 09:38 PM   #17
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

A sensitive rod is very important, I think you will be happy with the St Croix, I use their blanks in the rods I build and I love them. I would buy a Shimano 2500 size reel, I use a Saros. Line is also very important. Some people use the braid/ floro but personally I hate it. The knot hits the guides on the cast slowing it down and I have had the knot break before. Also, you have to retie it once it gets short and it takes awhile because you have to tie the leader knot, then the lure to the leader. I use just straight 6lb Seagar floro instead, it works great.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.