Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-01-10, 12:51 AM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default When to "power fish"

I am just wondering when do you guys "Power Fish"? The reason I ask is because the small reservoir I fish about 2/3 of the fish I catch hits the bait almost the instant it hits the water. But the others I have to let the lure sit and dead stick it. So under what situations is it best to "Power Fish"?
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 06:35 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Warm water, low light, low pressure.... those are my keys to power time... however, with that said, I will attempt power fishing multiple time sthroughout the day if i see any evidence of active feeding... if it doesnt pan out, i then switch to finesse... just remember, there is a way to power fish a finesse bait... when teh bait is in teh water... fish it slow... if you dont get a hit within a minute or less, reel in quickly and make another cast, and only fish productive looking structure...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 08:43 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you've figured out that the majority of the fish hit as soon as or very close to when the lure hits the water, then I'd start power fishing. Once you figure out a pattern like that, it would probably be a good idea.

For those who don't know, power fishing isn't about fishing big lures, or fishing the lure very fast. It's all about once you find a pattern, to repeat that pattern quickly. So say you're fishing a wacky rig and the majority of your strikes come within a few seconds of it hitting the water, and you rarely get a bite once it reaches the bottom. There's no point if fishing the whole retrieve if the fish are biting withing the first few seconds. So cast it out, count down your seconds, reel it in, repeat.

Power fishing can be done with big lures or finesse, it's more about presentation than lure.

BB
Old 06-01-10, 05:32 PM   #4
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

For those who don't know, power fishing isn't about fishing big lures, or fishing the lure very fast. It's all about once you find a pattern, to repeat that pattern quickly.

Power fishing can be done with big lures or finesse, it's more about presentation than lure.

BB
Hmm, that's not my understanding of "power fishing". What's your authority for the above statement? My understanding of power fishing is big baits, cover water, big line, reaction strikes, baitcasting gear etc. (big spinnerbaits, jig and pig, crankbaits, buzzbaits, jerkbaits, creature baits) etc. whereas finesse fishing is smaller baits, subtle colors, lighter line, coax them into biting, spinning gear, a slower more deliberate presentation (small finesse worms on shakey heads, drop shot, wacky rigged senko) etc.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 05:49 PM   #5
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This is how KVD defines power fishing.

It's not JUST big lures, heavy cover, and/or a fast retrieve, although that may be part of it. It also means not wasting time fishing in a way that is not producing. I think BB is on the right track here...if you're getting bit by doing "A," whatever that is, don't spend time doing "B."
Old 06-01-10, 05:58 PM   #6
keithdog

Being that I am not the predisposed to being of great patience, I power fish probably 95% of the time, which in my understanding is working the water quickly. Covering as much water as poss as quickly as poss to find a pattern and then executing that pattern quickly and efficiently.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 07:56 PM   #7
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
I am just wondering when do you guys "Power Fish"? The reason I ask is because the small reservoir I fish about 2/3 of the fish I catch hits the bait almost the instant it hits the water. But the others I have to let the lure sit and dead stick it. So under what situations is it best to "Power Fish"?
power fishing-this is a bad term to discuss-it has a differant meaning to everybody.
the term which pros throw around like it actually ment something. is basicly troller on high using baits at a high rate of speed, like a lipless bait or a spinner bait..it basiclly is a term for covering water fast and chunkin like hell...

to the average northern bass angler who fishes weightless baits in deep water at a obseenly slow rate. power fishing would be chunking and cranking with the troller on low.

to me chunking and crankin with the troller on low is finnesse style fishing..power fishing to me is working the bait as fast as possable over as much struture as possable with hundreds of cast per hour..

zooker
Old 06-01-10, 08:21 PM   #8
MO3N

I think next time I go out ill speed up my fishing a little bit. Maybe ill get more bites that way. It was tough the last time because it would go from a perfect day to dumping buckets so it was hard to get a pattern or anything.
Old 06-02-10, 05:43 PM   #9
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post

Since we can't agree on what exactly "power fishing" is, I'll give you a definition and try to answer your question based on my definition. Power fishing is covering a lot of water with what I'll define as "power baits" (spinnerbait, jerkbait, crankbait, buzzbait, jig and pig etc.)

I'm power fishing when the fish are agressive and I think the bite is on. When the fish are in a positive mood which would be early morning or late evening in the Summer or perhaps all day in the Spring or late Fall. Or, perhaps midday in the early Spring after the sun warms the water.I want to be on my horse power fishing the first two hours of daylight in July and August then after the morning bite, I'll slow down and try and finesse a neutral or negative bass from it's midday home-----for example.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 02:40 PM   #10
MO3N

I went out fishing last night and I focused on power fishing. I would flip plastics into a spot and let it sit no more then 5-10 seconds depending on the plastic. As i worked along the weed beds if I came to a point I would cast a spinner bait or jerkbait.

This was WAY more productive, in about 4 hours when normally I would have only got one or two bass I got about 7. All of them were pretty small, no more then 13". But it was still fun. I also got my first bass on a spinnerbait.

For plastics Either way I fish I seem to get the most action on a salamander. Not sure if it is the actually shape or the extra action the legs give. Next time I will try using jigs to try and get some more size.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-08-10, 07:28 PM   #11
rangerryan

I think BB has it pegged. Any bait can be used in power fishing but when im power fishing its with a heavy jig or a spinnerbait. when on the rare occasion i throw a shakey head, i try to cover a lot of water until i locate fish and then i slow down. I consider that power fishing up to the point i caught the fish.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 12:05 AM   #12
Rebbasser

I'm with Ryan-power fish until you find them, then slow down and fish more methodically.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.