Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-13-05, 08:44 PM   #1
TackleTester
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester
Default Official Forum Tourney Thread

This may not be my place to try and run the show here, but I like the idea and I wanna get it started .....If you dont like that I am taking it upon myself to do this, please tell me and I will go ahead and let some of the older members take over....

Anyway, here are the rules I have come up with so far (mostly from others posts in the other thread....lol)

1. All fish caught in the tourney must be released
2. The limit will be 5 fish (your 5 largest)
3. Culling is legal
4. Size Limit: 14 in
5. A picture of your 5 biggest bass are to be entered showing the fish laying up next to a measuring device
6. The winner will be the person with the greatest combined length of fish in inches.
7. There will be 2 divisions: Pond and Lake (if we have enough people we could go under 18 years of age and over 18 years of age too?)
8. Each participant will be able to count fish from 6 hrs of fishing
9. We trust that all will be honest in number of hours fished and by the means of catching the fish (obviously no snagging, netting, etc...lol)

Lastly, I think it would be noble to add a prize for the winner of each division. I don't know what, but if anyone has any ideas

Anyway, what do you guys think?...I am ready to get started as you can see.....lol

Thanks
Brian
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 08:52 PM   #2
NJBassDevil
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Looks good. I'm in!
Old 07-13-05, 09:05 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

Default Let the games begin!!!

Hey Guys,

I want to be the first to contribute the prizes for your tourney. I will offer:
  • A pair of t-shirts from FishBoy.Com
  • An assortment of lures from sponsors
  • Some Blakemore Reel Magic
  • Kick'n'Bass Fish Attractants
  • A bottle of PRO's Soft Bait Glue
  • And a $25 Gift Card to Outdoor World or BassPro.Com
..as prizes for the 1st prize winner.

The second place winner will also receive a gift box of assorted lures from sponsors. Good luck with your forum tournament, just keep me in the loop for the prize details and awards. Take care.

Kevin
Old 07-13-05, 09:07 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Count me in!

Good thing tonight doen'st count lol
How soon ya wanna try to have this?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 09:26 PM   #5
TackleTester

i'm not sure JB.......any suggestions?

I was thinking we should give one alternatedate for those who cannot accododate to the prederred date so no one is excluded due to scheduling conflicts
Old 07-13-05, 09:29 PM   #6
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Count me in, Lets start it next week on monday???
Old 07-13-05, 09:30 PM   #7
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Hey Guys,

I want to be the first to contribute the prizes for your tourney. I will offer:
  • A pair of t-shirts from FishBoy.Com
  • An assortment of lures from sponsors
  • Some Blakemore Reel Magic
  • Kick'n'Bass Fish Attractants
  • A bottle of PRO's Soft Bait Glue
  • And a $25 Gift Card to Outdoor World or BassPro.Com
..as prizes for the 1st prize winner.

The second place winner will also receive a gift box of assorted lures from sponsors. Good luck with your forum tournament, just keep me in the loop for the prize details and awards. Take care.

Kevin
Wow, thats really cool of you. I think this tourney can really go somewhere
Old 07-13-05, 09:34 PM   #8
TackleTester

yeah, that was great kevin.....that's why we all respect you so much around here.....always willing to help promote the site and help its members have a good time
Old 07-13-05, 09:35 PM   #9
TackleTester

How about Sunday through Saturday that way everyone has a chance to get inthe mix...We will have to trust that everyone only fishes 6 hours.....I'm excited tho
Old 07-13-05, 09:38 PM   #10
PowerBass

Cant, Im pretty much booked this weekend, How about next month sometime?? Say first weekend of August? This will be much easier for me.
Old 07-13-05, 09:39 PM   #11
TackleTester

that's a good idea....that would give everybody a chance to set up a date to go......Unless a lot of conflicts, lets say the whole 1st week of august is fair game
Old 07-13-05, 09:43 PM   #12
PowerBass

Well, that works. Pic one day of the whole week, where you can devote 6 hours to the tourney, but once you fished one day, You need to post what happened then you cant compete anymore. There are alot of bug we need to work out though.
Old 07-13-05, 09:44 PM   #13
Sluggo Man

Yeah, July is a busy month for me too. Fairs, canoe trips (tempting, but no), vacation, and other things.

Beginning of August sounds good to me too.
Sluggo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 09:44 PM   #14
NJBassDevil

Can you fish 1 hour for 6 days?
Old 07-13-05, 09:47 PM   #15
TackleTester

hmmm.....i don't see any reason why not.....i dont have a problem with it as long as no one else does
Old 07-13-05, 09:48 PM   #16
PowerBass

Probably not, I think it should be a 1 day of the week you choose the day, but must fish 6 hours. You can proably fish less, If you think the 5 you catch will win it. I know if I can I will fish 6 hours!
Old 07-13-05, 09:49 PM   #17
NJBassDevil

Where will you go PB???
Old 07-13-05, 09:50 PM   #18
PowerBass

dunno, some place worth going to though.
Old 07-13-05, 10:03 PM   #19
Rebbasser

Been thinking about this-here is a suggestion: Instead of a 6 hour sometime during the week tourney we do a big bass tourney. Say it lasts the first week of August, from midnight on Monday the 1st through midnight Sunday the 7th. Measure the length and girth and use one of the weight calculators to determine the weight, but everybody needs to use the same one, like this one:

http://www.probass.com/measure.php

and you need to post a picture of the fish. Included in the picture needs to be something for scale. I'd bet all of us have a pair of 6" pliers. Lay that next to the fish and take a picture. Since not everyone has a digital camera make midnight August 10th the deadline for submitting pictures. That will give you time to get them developed, scanned, and uploaded to the web.

I'll even throw in a prize. I got a gift card through work I can use at Cabelas, and since one just opened up just north of here I'll donate part of it and offer as the prize a Lucky Craft Pointer to the person that catches the biggest bass. If I win I keep it, but if one of you guys wins it is all yours.

What do you say?
Old 07-13-05, 10:05 PM   #20
PowerBass

I like rebs Idea, but reb, can I use my Rapala digital scale or do I need to use one of the calcs??
Old 07-13-05, 10:08 PM   #21
NJBassDevil

Im In!!!!!!
Old 07-13-05, 10:08 PM   #22
Rebbasser

Use the calculator-that way everybody is on the same page. 10 scales might give 10 different weights, but the calculator will make it fair.
Old 07-14-05, 01:06 AM   #23
454ss

This sounds cool i would also like to point out that the bass pro shops message board has somthing similar to this also and these are the rules they could be used as a suggestions for kevins idea or w/e but i like kevins either way this is just to maybe help any problems with the setup of kevins rules

Official Rules
You must be a member of the Outdoor Site Talk Forums to enter.
Lunker “Braggin Rights” Contest , the contest is free you just have to follow some simple rules Below.

1. Contest will run every two Months: February through March, April through May, June through July, August through September, October through November.
2. Contest will consist of 2 classes, Largemouth and Smallmouth bass only. (due to similarities, Spotted bass and Kentucky bass will be rolled into the Largemouth class)

3. Contest winners will be based on length of a single fish with the longest length in a particular zone. Fish can be submitted at any time during the contest and more fish than one can be submitted but only your longest will be considered. In case of tie, bragging rights will be split equally for the zone.

4. All fish must be photographed along side a clearly visible outstretched tape measure and must include a staple item in the photo that will be announced a day before the contest begins, in this post. (Actual weight is optional but recommended [please no estimates]). If you are using a sewing type cloth tape measure PLEASE be sure it is stretched out tightly to avoid disqualification of the fish. Fish should be measured from the tip of the mouth to the tip of the tail, (It's easiest to judge when the mouth is closed) Fish pictures must be posted by the last day in each contest, no late entries will count.
Remember this is for fun and friendly competition there is no money or goods involved

5. Fish are to be entered in the zone in which they are caught.
When entering a fish make sure you state the zone that you caught your fish in.
6. There is no way for us to monitor where you caught your fish, so this is where the good nature and honesty of us fisherman needs to be shown.
7. There is no limit on number of entries.

8. Entering Fish: CLEAR photos must be posted in this Lunker contest thread, ineligible entries may be disqualified (judgment call between the three judges) To be announced. If the pic is disqualified you will be notified and it will be deleted from this post.

9. All local and State fishing rules must be adhered to in the catching of bass. No illegal means of harvesting will be accepted.

10. All decisions of the judges(s) are final. (Judges will be Joe S., Just 4 Fun , & Gloomisman )

Zone 1 – North
Alaska, Canada, IL, MI, MN, ND, SD, WI

Zone 2 – South & West
AL, AR, AZ, CA, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NM, NV, OK, TN, TX, Mexico

Zone 3 – Northeast
CT, DC, DE, DT, MA, MD, ME, NJ, NH, NY, PA, RI, VT

Zone 4 – Midwest & West
CO, IA, ID, IN, KS, MO, MT, NE, OR, UT, WY, WA

Zone 5
NC, OH, SC, VA, WV

Link to map with zones Zone Map

The 2nd contest will begin April 1st and end May 31st at 11:59pm. The staple item that will be needed to accompany the fish, as well as tape measure, will be announced March 31st in this post.
Good Fishing to everyone, let's keep it fun and clean

Even though this is a Big Bass contest we will allow consolation "Bragging rights" for the biggest non-bass fish caught in each zone.
This is where honesty really comes in, because you would have to catch it while fishing for bass.
It would be preferred if these non- bass fish were caught on artificials.
I just want to reiterate there is no prizes, just the satisfaction of winning your zone for That contest !
Play Fish

The magic item that needs to be in the picture along with the visible tape measure is a set of keys or a key, house keys, boat keys, car keys any kind just make sure it is clearly visible as well as the tape measure

Good Luck..
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 06:25 AM   #24
PowerBass

Too comlicated, I like rebs idea better, pick one day of the week, fish six hours, biggest fish wins, you must use the weight calculator he provides.
Old 07-14-05, 07:18 AM   #25
JB

Most tourneys limit you to 5 fish, you put them lip closed to one end of the tape and measure to the tail, you don't pinch the tail close either, that will give you some extra lenght, they do that on walleye tourneys, but never a bass, or at least thats common on BASS.

I think the total length or better yet the total weight of your days catch represents the tournament better than just weighing in one biggest fish.
Also I dont think it would be to hard to either carry a tape or yardstick,
we carry the BASS golden rule measureing stick, its about 22 1/2 inches long.
And the days catch must be just that. Not 5 days in a row for one hour.
The only fly in the ointment I can see is some southern regions grow bigger fish,
however that doesnt mean on any give day that they can be caught.
I think the closer we can replicate an already existing bass tourney rules the better it will be, plus prepare all of ya for a real tourney where money is one the line, most FLW and BASS rules are pretty much the same.
and, the quicker we have this, the better. If you wait more than a week everyone will forget or loose interest, its better to do it now while the topic is hot.
If you don't have time, make time. At least go out and see what happens if you cant fish for the alloted time, fishing the partial time will have to do,
remember when you enter a real tourney, your stuck on that boat all day, a lot of times no bites at all, so your going to have to deal with it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.