Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-12, 01:07 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Braid W/ Flouro leader help

So Friday night I spent the evening re-spooling a couple of reels (both with braid and a flouro leader).

I noticed on both reels the flouro was digging into the braid and this will end with somewhat of a horror story and maybe a good laugh for some. I was p!$$ed after it happened.

Reel 1- Baitcaster (Curado E7) with a mono backing, 40lb Sufix performance braid and 20lb flouro leader (Sunline Super FC sniper).

Reel 2- Spinning reel with Sufix 832 10lb braid and 8lb Sunline Super FC Sniper.

Both spools were treated to an application of KVD's line and lure conditioner.

The only issue I ran into with the spinning reel (besides horrible line twist and the line jumping off the spool) was the flouro digging into the braid. I'm about done with spinning gear, all I use it for is drop shot and shaky heads. I think I can find me a baitcasting combo that will cover down on the same thing.

For the spinning set up before it is even asked; yes, the line was put on correctly (i.e. taken off the spool the same direction the reel spins).

Here's where the nightmare occurred; on the baitcaster, due to having 3 line types spliced together I took extra precautions to ensure that the line laid flat, was even and not to loose or to tight.

I was throwing a 1/2 oz Dirty Jigs CA swim jig with a Roboworm EZ shad as a trailer (I was hog hunting in hopes of the big bass feeding on trout due to the recent stock in the lake I was fishing).

Anyways, throughout the day I didn't have a problem one with this setup. Casting was smooth, no line memory, no birds nest...nothing. Then on one cast I felt my rod get really light, heard that noise that we all dread (the sounds of a birds nest occurring). I look down and BAM! The flouro on my rod was in a horrible mess, my brand new and I mean brand new baits are GONE! To shorten the story I had to strip almost 100-125 yards of the braid off just to get all the flouro out from underneath.

As I was sitting there laughing (out of anger), cussing and cutting the flouro out I personally believe the cause of this nightmare was due to the fact the flouro had at one point dug deep into the braid.

Like I said initially I noticed it was happening and would strip the flouro off to get it out of the braid and life seemed to be good.

So, with all that said how I do keep the flouro from digging into the braid? Fortunately I didn't lose a lot of flouro and I was able to salvage the braid.

Thanks...
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.