Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 10-20-04, 07:05 PM   #26
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Deer hunting

later on during season i change my time table instead of going out in the dark and leaving about 10 am. i use a trail camera cause it don't get a sore butt. i go in about 9 am and wait till 2 pm. here in nc we bow hunt from early septmber to nov 5th we then do muzzel loading till nov 12 -a week no sun hunting-then rifle season runs till jan 1st.after a week of smokepole the deer are very skittish. and have you figured out. so like bass fishing think outside the box. normally i duck hunt till 9 am deer hunt the after noon then duck hunt the evening flights. ;D

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 12:47 AM   #27
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=creekgeek link=board=Tourneys;num=1097600906;start=0#21 date=10/19/04 at 11:00:59]Well....looks like I get to continue making my trek into the woods...didn't see a thing this morning. [/quote]

Now remember all the conditions, temps, wind etc... I might even consult the solunar tables also, and were there highs or lows in the areas? What was so different this day than the others when you saw so many deer? Same thing in fishing, LOOK FOR THE PATTERNS. If they weren't up and moving then perhaps still hunting their bedding areas may have been a better tactic on that day or similiar days. Where as if the deer are moving a bunch then the tree stand may be the better option. But you're still hunting ;D and that's the BEST part.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 01:09 PM   #28
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

Lizards,
I was hunting a different property on this day. I've only seen about 5 deer on this property compared to 20 or so on the other property, at the same time it is a lot warmer than I would like it to be.

Zooker,
I'm all over that altered schedule. According to Charles Alsheimer, a famed whitetail expert, the rut should kick in around Nov. 3 and last about a week. So for the week before and the week after, they should be very active. During these weeks I planned on doing more midday hunts rather than the "patterned" dawn and dusk times.

And for all of those out there looking for the big bucks; find the does during the rut and you'll find the bucks. Happy hunting!
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 08:03 PM   #29
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

think about this geek
the rut is a 3 week affair-never shorter- in the northern areas they some times have a secondary rut in the middle of december. here in nc we get this evey year and this is when the big boys go more roaming.
think i am joking check your e-mail. december 15 1999

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 10-22-04, 10:43 AM   #30
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

I've read several articles about the secondary rut. And by the time it comes in the gun seasons are over so it's just the bow boys out in the woods. Hopefully it won't be necessary for me to be out that late in the season.
Old 10-22-04, 11:23 AM   #31
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=creekgeek link=board=Tourneys;num=1097600906;start=25#30 date=10/22/04 at 09:43:58]I've read several articles about the secondary rut. And by the time it comes in the gun seasons are over so it's just the bow boys out in the woods. Hopefully it won't be necessary for me to be out that late in the season. [/quote]

I thought it was also during some of the muzzleloader season also ??? Could be wrong though

Lizards
Old 10-22-04, 12:13 PM   #32
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

weel guys, the rut is almost at full swing in new jersey
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 04:13 PM   #33
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

You're right Lizards. Â*Somewhere there in December it does coincide with muzzleloader for a couple of weeks. :

PB,
Any idea why the different times for the different parts of the country? Â*I thought it was related to the moon phases. Â*Second full moon after the autaumenal (however you spell that) equinox? Â*That's what I've read from Charles Alsheimer.

Check out his website www.charlesalsheimer.com , lots of information about the rut.
Old 10-25-04, 09:33 PM   #34
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

geek,
one way to tell is when you shoot a buck, you can smell his urine, they piss them selves to create and odor, another eason i think that the pre-peak rut is here is because they been chasing and i hear grunting. I saw 2 bucks lock horns already too, but i was driving when i saw them. best thing to do we be to google search it
Old 10-25-04, 11:01 PM   #35
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

ya can tell it is rut here in nc cause i start making a scrape in my girls living room-boy does she raise hell when i pee in it...

jk
zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 10-26-04, 11:57 AM   #36
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

PB,
Full rut should be in next week, Nov 3 - Nov 9, which means they are getting more and more active as the days pass. The seeking phase is here and the boys are starting to get antsy. A buddy of mine went out last night (Mon) and he saw a small buck mount a doe! You know how young males can be...wanting to mount anything that moves!
Old 10-26-04, 03:22 PM   #37
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=creekgeek link=board=Tourneys;num=1097600906;start=25#36 date=10/26/04 at 10:57:21]PB,
Full rut should be in next week, Nov 3 - Nov 9, which means they are getting more and more active as the days pass. The seeking phase is here and the boys are starting to get antsy. A buddy of mine went out last night (Mon) and he saw a small buck mount a doe! You know how young males can be...wanting to mount anything that moves! [/quote]

It's not only the Young ones

Lizards
Old 10-26-04, 09:06 PM   #38
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

actually i have a secret weapon i can tell when rut is in. a buddy of mine is very allergic to buck in rut. i just take him for a walk and watch for poison ivy like botches to appear.not yet ..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 10-27-04, 10:46 AM   #39
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm rethinking that statement I made about the rut being in. Â*I went out last night and saw 18 does in a field and not a buck in site! > Â*If they were starting to heat up, with that much estrous in one place, any buck within a two mile radius would have shown up.
Old 10-27-04, 10:56 AM   #40
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

geek,
it could have alot to do with the wind also, blowing the does scent everywhere(thought i heard this on a hunting show) it may confuse bucks
Old 10-27-04, 07:09 PM   #41
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

not with that many does in one place power.
think of it like this if they were in heat. buck would know every move they make 24/7 .
geek how long were they out in this field with out a buck? more than 30 mintues? if longer than that the buck's anit chasing yet..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 10-28-04, 11:21 AM   #42
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

They were out there for at least 45 minutes if not longer. Â*My friends are reporting not seeing any bucks chasing either so I don't think it has started yet. Â*

What is your experience with warmer weather affecting their activity during the rut? Â*I've read that if the day time temp. (and this is for here in the north) gets above 45, that they shut down. Â*It's been in the mid 60's for the past 10 days and is supposed to hit 74 tomorrow! >
Old 10-28-04, 11:42 AM   #43
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=creekgeek link=board=Tourneys;num=1097600906;start=25#41 date=10/28/04 at 10:21:27]They were out there for at least 45 minutes if not longer. My friends are reporting not seeing any bucks chasing either so I don't think it has started yet.

What is your experience with warmer weather affecting their activity during the rut? I've read that if the day time temp. (and this is for here in the north) gets above 45, that they shut down. It's been in the mid 60's for the past 10 days and is supposed to hit 74 tomorrow! >[/quote]

I think they are getting ready now, I think you are a little ahead of the game. The rut is usaully somewhat coincides with shotgun season(it is supposed to be part of the season anyway) The bucks are still moving mostly at night, and they will be changing their patterns anyday. Also remember that you are now putting hunting pressure on them. Bucks are always more skiddish than the does.

But if you are seeing the does, why not take a younger one for meat, and then look for your trophy, it won't taste near as well, I can assure you. This of course is just my opnion. I haven't deer hunted in a few years, and of course I'm missing it terribly right now :'(

Lizards
Old 10-28-04, 11:51 AM   #44
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

The rut follows the moon patterns according to several well known whitetail experts. Â*The gun season normally is the 2nd weekend in November and that usually coincides with the tail end of the 'intense' rut. Â*I have several friends who are well traveled hunters and they go by the moon patterns as well...

Any doe that comes close enough is going down! Â*Young or old! Â*I would prefer a young one, however I'm not going to make the mistake of passing up a shot because it's not the right deer. Â*(happened to me last year) Â*I read an article that it is better to shoot the young does anyway because the mature bucks prefer mature does and the genetics of that combination is much better than a mixture of young/old. Â*The guy said it messes up the 'pecking order' of the herd if you take out more mature does. Â*

That's the first that I've heard something like that but I guess every theory can have it's logical points. Â*There are so many does where I am hunting I don't think it will matter what I take!
Old 10-28-04, 06:28 PM   #45
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

the rut should start up the second week of nov here. it depends -this year has been weird weather wise.we almost never get a frost till round thanksgiven. and never see more than a flake or 2 of snow till december.i know i know hate me later..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 11-02-04, 03:46 PM   #46
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Man I wish I could be out there this year I got a tag I have to give away >.

But they said they would go half on the meat. I'm sure going to miss bagging a dear this year.

Make sure you guy's post pic's of your nasty kills. And good luck to all of you!

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-04, 07:38 PM   #47
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

zilla 7 years ago i had major surgey on my left knee i went bow hunting on crutches. and still got a 5 point.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 11-08-04, 10:49 AM   #48
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

FINALLY!!!! Shot a 7 point buck on Friday morning about 7:40 a.m. What an awesome day! He came across a bean field into the little draw of woods I was in. Chased away a little 4 pointer and made his way to me. Turned broad side about 20 yards away. I let 'er fling and saw the impact of the arrow, was a little high but I knew it was a good hit. Twenty minutes later my buddy shot a 7 ptr as well! What a day! Now I don't have to stress about it anymore!!!
Old 11-08-04, 04:47 PM   #49
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

bow kills are a huge rush almost as good as sex-almost-hell of a job. a tad high and back from what ya said. practice the nerves were not totally under control but you will get there.
remember only a few more weeks till gun season -for you- am heading out now to try it again..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 11-09-04, 06:49 PM   #50
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=creekgeek link=board=Tourneys;num=1097600906;start=25#47 date=11/08/04 at 08:49:51]FINALLY!!!! Shot a 7 point buck on Friday morning about 7:40 a.m. What an awesome day! He came across a bean field into the little draw of woods I was in. Chased away a little 4 pointer and made his way to me. Turned broad side about 20 yards away. I let 'er fling and saw the impact of the arrow, was a little high but I knew it was a good hit. Twenty minutes later my buddy shot a 7 ptr as well! What a day! Now I don't have to stress about it anymore!!![/quote]

CONGRATULATIONS 8) Persoanlly I would have shot the 4 pointer, they taste better

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.