Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-12, 10:02 PM   #1
Rmoore300
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Nitro Z-7 Sport Problems

I purchased a 2011 Nitro Z-7 Sport that came with a Mercury 150 XS last July. Due to a serious drought in Texas my first use of the boat was on Table Rock Lake last September. With 5 average people in the boat I was only able to get on plane if I didn't trim the engine at all. Even then if I attempted to go faster than 30 mph the bow begin to porpoise up and down forcing me to have one of the adults sit forward of the windshield to avoid this. Fuel efficiency was terrible and top end speed (listed at 58 mph) was no higher than 40. Since that initial outing a new more aggresive prop was put on which allows me to trip the motor a little but no where near as much as my old nitro (a 1999 Fish & Ski with a Mercury 115). Bass Pro isn't offering any help. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if yes what do I need to do about it? Bass Pro seems to think the motor is mounted properly on the boat but I'm less certain.
Rmoore300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 10:37 PM   #2
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I just purchased mine like 4 days ago, it's a 2012 with the Opti Max 150. I can't add much to this thread yet because I'm still in Break in period. I'll let you know after I get that 20 hours in though.
Old 03-26-12, 11:21 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Rmoore, look by the cockpit and you should see a sticker that tells you the maximum capacity of your boat. I don't know what five "Average" people weigh in your neck of the woods, but I would honestly consider expecting a Z-7 to run like a scalded ape with five people in it a bit ambitious. I can assure you the top speed of 58 was not generated with 800 lbs of passengers and a full tank of fuel.
Old 03-26-12, 11:56 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

First of all there are way too many variables for anyone to post a top speed to expect out of a boat and have it be even close to right. How much tackle you carry, where you store your tackle, how much gas you have in the fuel tank, weight of occupants, water temp, altitude, and several other things can make one boat run a certain speed and another boat that is the exact same run totally different. Does your boat have a jackplate? You need to make some adjustments on the jackplate and get the prop to pad measurement dialed in, then you will probably see more changes by using different props.

By the way I am certain that when Nitro listed 58 as a top speed they were most likely shooting that a little high to begin with, but that was probably based on a boat that is low on fuel and has only one passenger and no extra weight.
Old 03-27-12, 02:01 AM   #5
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Your boat has a maximum person capacity is FOUR, maximan weight of people aboard is 600 POUNDS - that's from the Nitro webpage.

Total maximum weight capacity is 1390 pounds - that included batteriers, tackle, fuel, people, water in the livewells, on board chargers, etc. I think you probably exceeded that on the day you're describing above.

The load you had in the boat is kinda like expecting a Prius to tow your boat down the highway at 70 MPH all day long and give you 35 MPG while doing it.

You should have little problem hitting the 58 MPH with a light load - yourself, 1/2 tank of fuel, empty livewells and not have every compartment packed to the lids. Those estimated speeds are not computed at maximum tournament loads - 2 people, full fuel, full livewells and appropriate tackle for two anglers.

PS - Gosh darn you NFE.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 08:20 AM   #6
lilmule

Meaning no disrespect to the lone star state,the other states arnt like texas,we have boating laws,those with 200hp on a boat that says 90 on plate rating or those with 5 people when plate rating says 4 generally get a lighter wallet to lighten the load.
Then to make your day complete they go thru all the things one is supposed to have onboard depending upon where that is like 50 ft of rope or an anchor,throwable on deck,horn or whistle and lighten ones load a tad more.
Hope you get some water but the rest of us may be lacking as well no runoff,no snowmelt to speak of.
My boat will do over 70,loaded with a 150 hp,but it isnt a nitro either.Havnt a clue where id put 3 other people,only 1 other seat.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 04:43 PM   #7
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoore300 View Post
I purchased a 2011 Nitro Z-7 Sport that came with a Mercury 150 XS last July. Due to a serious drought in Texas my first use of the boat was on Table Rock Lake last September. With 5 average people in the boat I was only able to get on plane if I didn't trim the engine at all. Even then if I attempted to go faster than 30 mph the bow begin to porpoise up and down forcing me to have one of the adults sit forward of the windshield to avoid this. Fuel efficiency was terrible and top end speed (listed at 58 mph) was no higher than 40. Since that initial outing a new more aggresive prop was put on which allows me to trip the motor a little but no where near as much as my old nitro (a 1999 Fish & Ski with a Mercury 115). Bass Pro isn't offering any help. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if yes what do I need to do about it? Bass Pro seems to think the motor is mounted properly on the boat but I'm less certain.
i would think that with 5 adults in that size boat that it was doing all it could. five adults is either over the weight capacity of a boat that size or pushing the envelope none the less. as far as advertised speed that is with one person and no gear(most usually). put you and someone else in the boat and your tackle, and would think that you should run in at least the mid 50's.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 10:21 PM   #8
skeeter1804

If all 5 people were in the back of the boat that's a lot of weight in the rear. Before assuming something is wrong take the boat out with one or 2 people. Does your motor have at least 10 hours on it? The Optimax computer double charges the oil for the first 10 hours which keeps them from having full power. If the motor doesn't have 10 hours on it then having that many people in your boat during break in is really causing a lot of strain on a new engine. And last but not least how old is the fuel? If half of that fuel is from July then old fuel will also cause a loss of power until you burn most of it out. Just stuff to consider if you haven't already.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 08:58 AM   #9
MIbasser

Hey guys, I think he is talking about Z-7 Sport, not the Z-7 bass boat. It's actually rated for 6 people. http://nitro.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3450

However, at 19'5" and only a 150 on it, seems way underpowered. As for the top speed of 58 mph, I would use 1 person and 1/4 tank of gas and downwind on a 1" chop type of day...
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 02:47 PM   #10
bassboogieman

OOPPS. It would be like Nitro to use the same badge on different style boats, and I took Nitro Z-7 to mean the bass boat. A Z-7 just isn't a Z-7 anymore, but if I had any interest in Nitros I'd probably have know that. My appoligies for my misunderstanding of the boat in question but that's still a heck of a load to expect a 150 HP outboard to move.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 03:35 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Okay. That makes a lot more sense. That sort of takes the onus off of the owner and puts it on Nitro. WTH are they doing putting a max-rated hp of 150 on a boat they plan on putting 750 lbs of passengers in (and actually has enough seats to hold them)? Even my Avalanche, which is a 15 inches shorter, is rated for 175 hp.
Old 04-19-12, 08:03 PM   #12
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

All I can ad is two things, break in time is really important on the 150's +. NF is correct that weight has a lot to do with it. The other thing to consider is air. I have a 250 and live on the west coast. I have taken mine to the midwest and Florida, there is a real 5-8mph difference for mine. I was worried as mine did not get out of the hole like I was expecting when new but now - no issues at all and for sure the fastest, easy to get on plane boat I have ever had. I have had Ranger and Skeeter's. I forgot to mention mine is a Z9 so could be a little different. 5 people on a 7 is a lot regardless of their size to me. I have a 9 and 3 people is pretty much the limit.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.