Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-16-05, 04:12 PM   #1
oklahomavsgeorgia
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Water color vs. lure color

First off I would like to say hello to all and thanks to anyone who replies, this is my first post. I normally fish small to average size ponds. Most are dark in color, but a few sandpit ponds that are crystal clear blue. Is there a main difference in the color of lure between the two ponds. I fish anything from spinners to cranks to worms. I have caught plenty of fish in them, but would just like some other opinions. Thanks again.

Frank Rolen

I am Going To Work Less And Fish More! :D
oklahomavsgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 04:45 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Water color vs. lure color

Welcome to the forum!

I would have to say it depends. Â*In clear water I use natural colors-watermelon, green pumpkin, etc. Â*In muddy water it depends on the sun. Â*If it is sunny I use brighter colors like chartreuse, pink, orange, etc. Â*If it is cloudy, though, I go with darker colors.

For spinnerbaits I like silver blades if it is sunny and copper or gold if it is cloudy. Â*In muddy water I have had better luck with a big, single Colorado blade rather than a tandem or double willow setup. Â*The single blade puts out more vibration and is easier for the fish to find in low light/low visibility conditions.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 05:23 PM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Welcome!

Also , certain days can make a diference on lure color selection, I like firetiger on over cast days and something natural shad for bluebird skys
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 07:59 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

welcome, i like natural colors in clear water, and blacks, reds, chartruse, colors along those lines in muddy/stained water.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 08:27 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

its good to try to match the hatch as they say, try lure colors that are similiar to what you see in the water..is ita silver/blue shad? or a craw that is moss green or brown? bluegills or panfish?
I always thought that matching a bluegill with a white and chartruse with some blue was the way to go
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 08:29 PM   #6
oklahomavsgeorgia
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the help, JB I have actually been using the Rapala firetiger myself and have done ok with them the past 2 days. Little ones about 1-2#'s but still a fish. I tried a chartrouse colored spinner today on a slow retrieve, but was picking up all kinds of muck. Went back to some flukes, but the pickerel were killin them. Again thanks for the help fellas.

Frank Rolen

I am Going To Work Less And Fish More! :D
oklahomavsgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 11:21 AM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i am not sure water color matters much. realy i have fished the upper gator river here in nc the water color is black-it is clear- and i have fished lake james -which is like fishing in a bottle of ever clear-i have fished both with a white spinner bait. if the water is muddy i would of course change to a fire tiger or chartruse spinner bait.
i would try running the blade a tad faster if the jacks are nailing flukes they will be hitting the blade also. jack's and bass tend to be at the same depth in the water colum this only changes during there spawns.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 12:01 PM   #8
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

I would have to say that you want to go with naturals in strip pits. My #1 bait for the pits is a CLEAR SUPER FLUKE....The one that is completely transparent and use a reb EWG Hook. It really works well

Of course, this is just my experience and I live in Indiana so........
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 09:10 AM   #9
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Lure color is a confidence/ experience thing. You might throw a chartreuse with black flake soft jerk stick and do well for 3 months straight, regardless of light and water conditions. If the bite seems to be lessening, you might switch to pearl for example and get consistent hits for another month.

I've found color preference (if you want to call it that), is many times not something that can be predicted based on water clarity, hatch color or sky. From March 20th (ice fishing) to today, I've been primarily using chartreuse soft plastics, silver sided/olive backed jerkbaits and various soft jerkbait laminates to catch bass, pickerel and a ton of panfish. I haven't needed to change because fish at this time of year are super active and irritable (kind of like shad that hit shad darts on their way to spawn).

Once the causes for their irritability ceases and they go back to a normal routine of suspending versus feeding, I then take color into consideration, but mostly stay with a few depending on lure type.

A frequent partner of mine said that when he use pearl chartreuse jigheads, he thought it made a difference. What he didn't notice, was that I rarely use painted jigheads and that I always do as well if not better than him when we fish together. I don't want to burst his bubble, but eventually he will notice and come to the same conclusion that lure color is a personal belief, based on our personal formulas for using it (dark day-dark lure; dark day-florescent colors; clear water-smoke or gray; clear water-pearl or white, etc.)

Everyone could give you suggestions, but no one has any idea of the water and sky conditions you're fishing, so you would have to know where they're coming from based on what they used on any particular day. No lure color is universal for all waters and conditions and different style lures may have a small range of effective colors for most of the year. The categories are simple:
bright (flores. or flashy), dark, solid or textured with a pattern or natural (muted). Sticking with one that works until it doesn't, is the secret.
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 10:42 AM   #10
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

Welcome njsurf. Everyone has said what i do when i come across different conditions so..........go have fun! ;D
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.