Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-27-06, 06:59 AM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Cost of Repairs

Well I'm mad and happy all at the same time I took my boat in Monday at about 12pm because I couldn't get it running as some of you know. I got a call wed lat afternon that it was done . I asked the lady who called what was wrong with the boat. She read off the repair order the spark plugs were bad Now I had just repaced the plugs with BRAND NEW plugs bought from Napa. I took the model# into the store, and they looked it up and sold me 4 plugs(2 spares). I then gapped them and intalled them. I even pulled them put and rechecked the gap, and build up if any when I couldn't get it running. I was told by the mechanic that I had to have a specific kind of spark plug due to the engine and it's firing system. Well anyways I took it out yesterday and she ran like a champ Now the other side to this, is when I left it they asked if there was a dollar amount I wanted them to call me with before they fixed it. I of course said yes $100 and I want a call. Well the final bill was $90 + change. I guess I am upset about paying $90 for spark plugs, but happy they figured it out and I have my boat running. I however do fee a little ripped off at the same time. Well I guess I paid for another lesson, with cash I hope reading this will possibly help someone in the future making sure you have the right spark plugs. And go to a Marine dealer, because automotive folks just don't know any of this stuff.

Lizards
Old 01-27-06, 08:06 AM   #2
florida mike
BassFishin.Com Member

If you are under a$100,you are doing good.I had my Motorguide fixed yesterday and it cost $98.While I yhought it was alot of money,I was happy to get it back and working.
florida mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-06, 05:16 PM   #3
zooker

lizzy #1 thing they do at boat places is replace the spark plugs.charging $6-8 per plug. i know napa $2.25 plugs are reliable -i get mine at auto zone- yep 2 plugs $16 bucks plus $70-80 per hour to work on your moter-ok it took 3 mintues- but still charge you $70-80 bucks..

here's to hoping ya catch a cypress knee-just so you will buy a bigger boat...

zooker
Old 01-30-06, 07:43 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For future Reference to all. NGK are the plugs to use in Mercurys period. Champions are the plugs to use in OMC's or now bombardier. Period. There is a difference and if you where standing here I could show you the difference on the computer screen. They fire differantly. And as some of u now know the local marianas will get in ur pocket and stab u. One good rule of thumb is to have them call you BEFORE they do any repairs. That way no surprises.
Old 01-30-06, 07:16 PM   #5
zooker

umm yamaha's use ngk's

zooker
Old 01-31-06, 07:11 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Sorry zook forgot to mention that yammies use NGK's as well. I beg for forgiveness.....humbly bows down....LMAO
Old 02-01-06, 06:25 PM   #7
bassnman30

As zook sayed, look at the labor costs. It may drive the price up. Like he sayed, $60-$70 per hour. They count the first minute as an hour.
Old 02-02-06, 05:59 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Gefinst;ey. Unless the mechanic is a good friend ALOT of your marinas,boat dealers,car dealers what ever has a set service charge even if they dont turn a wrench or plug in a puter, Sucks but life.
Old 02-02-06, 08:04 PM   #9
jigicant
BassFishin.Com Member

i am currently in the same boat. i need the lower unit worked on on my 40hp and they are wanting to charge 6.2 hours for something i think should be less than 2 hours.
Old 02-02-06, 09:07 PM   #10
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

it'll take a handy guy about an hour to rebuild your unit jig...you can do it yourself..there is nothing to it.
Old 02-08-06, 12:30 AM   #11
lonestarboater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to lonestarboater Send a message via Yahoo to lonestarboater

The place I take my boat is great because they charged I think 0.3 hours for my lower unit oil change at the 20 hour service. I would have done it myself but they said the warranty would be void if I changed it. But this place is awesome because they charge in 0.1 hours not just 1 hours.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.