Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-06, 07:56 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bass That Just Won't Bite?

Hey guys, ive got a bit of a situation here...
i fish a res that is about 25 to 30 acres all rip rap lined, and has quite a few weedbeds on the south and west banks. Heres the problem: THE FISH WILL NOT HIT ANYTHING!!! And i know they are up shallow because i followed some guy yesterday for a while and he was throwing small shiners under a bobber, less than 30 ft. from the bank and he caught 19 from what i counted (though he did keep his 6 fish, and kinda p!$$@& me off) But anyway ive tried everything in my many boxes and bags and cant seem to get a fish on anything... Thank You!

Ryan
Old 11-09-06, 08:36 PM   #2
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You might try to use baits that look like those shiners. I would try flukes or jerkbaits. Another thing that I have actually done is to fish soft plastics under a bobber.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 08:58 AM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ryan,
the bite in SW ohio turned off a tad last weekend too, I've gotten a few on the grub, give it a try
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 09:45 AM   #4
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Two years ago, my nephew suspended the body of a zoom speedworm under a bobber about 3 feet and let the wave action move the lure. He hooked into the largest bass of the week fishing it in a weedy pocket. Watermelon/red lure texposed on a 2/0 Gammy worm hook.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 11:56 AM   #5
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

you could try getting a small spoon about an inch long, and using that to represent a shiner
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 02:13 PM   #6
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey there, sounds to me like you need to slow down a little. Dead stick a fluke or weightless worm as slow as you can putting little twitches in them. Might also try a weighless wacky 4" tiki stick or senko. Also try to get between the cover with a drop shot on the edges of the grass. Try and use something that immitates those shiners. Also, fish it real slow in the same place several times. If it is pretty cold, then those fish really have to be talked into biting. Putting the bait in front of the same fish a few times and he might hit it. Work from one spot and make lots of casts.

Jolly
Old 11-12-06, 02:12 PM   #7
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

The weather has most likely turned off cold up there in Ohio right? the fish arent going to be so easy to catch. Like the others said you'll have to slow down on your technique. I personally love it this time of the year here in Florida because i can use the jig and get good results. im taking it you fish from boat? and if so, do you have a depth finder? i ask this because with a depth finder you can find submerged structure in relatively shallow waters where hawgs might be holding to. I would throw a jig to any structure you can find, and see what happens. Also, i like to dead stick a tiki. Just go out there and work slow baits around shallow waters. you should get something.
Old 11-12-06, 02:57 PM   #8
pig n jig

J'YEET YET ? It alright for the person to keep a few fish even though we don't like to see it happen.I hate to say it , but the dropshot rig seems like the only thing working here now. I did catch fish on a spinnerbait, but I really had to work for them.My friend weighed in 5 smallmouths for 22.6 lbs to win the last tourny this year on Canandaigua lake.He drop shotted a robo worm brand shad bait , caught around 60 smallmouth yesterday, when most didn't bring a limit to the scales. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-06, 03:06 PM   #9
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

first of all i attack rip rap with crankbaits that look like the forage in the lake.bouncing cranks off the rocks is a killer technique.sometimes you have to crank fast and sometimes slow letting the crank hit the rock and float up 6 inches and crank into the rock again until you slowly crawl it over the rocks.crawfish colored cranks are good for this also.
Old 11-12-06, 06:00 PM   #10
PowerBass

m80's LOL..............
Old 11-12-06, 08:29 PM   #11
JerryC.
BassFishin.Com Member

Whats the best way to fish senkos and tiki sticks ive never used either one was planning on picking some up to try just wondering whats the best way to set them up Carolina rig or nothing but a little weight also how would you prefer hooking them wacky style in the middle or ect.. and what retrieve would you prefer 2 or 3 pops reel up the slack ect... Thanks!
JerryC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-06, 09:00 PM   #12
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Jerry, really depends on the conditions. I see you're from Virginia, so im guessing the water temp is getting fairly cold, so i would wacky rig tikis/senkos and throw them around vegetation/structure. When i wacky rig, i hook them in the middle. Also, i would thread a tiki/senko on an r-bend or offset hook and then work it slow past vegetation/structure. i love the tiki, especially the dipstik tiki. and the great thing about a straight soft plastic like that is the fact you can rig it or work it any way you want. you can throw it on a jighead if you want and try that. theres just so many different ways! haha. My best advice is to try different styles with the tiki and see what works.
Old 11-13-06, 10:00 PM   #13
JerryC.
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks alot bass ill try it out THANKS!
JerryC. is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.