Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-30-08, 05:20 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default CA DFG Rant

Okay, I want to start off by saying I support the DFG and the Wardens. I believe we do need to regulate fishing to make sure that my children can take their children fishing one day. all of that being said, I had an incident last night where I was forced to look at a Warden and say "Are you friggen kidding me?"
A little insight. In CA, as a resident I pay $38.85 for a license. If I want to use a 2nd pole at the same time, I pay an additional $12.10 to get a stamp. This allows for a max of two poles to be used. I do this for cats and trout. So to enjoy this sport/hobby that I love I pay the state $51.00. There are also additional fees if I want to fish the Colorado river, or go after the steel head up north. I pay this out, and while I am not happy about it, I don't complain too much.
Monday evening I went down to the river after work I had 4 poles with me, but was only fishing with one at a time. I had a frog, buzzbait, fluke and brushhog on different rigs.
Enter the warden. I saw him approaching and had no concerns since I was licensed and abiding by all the rules. He checked my license and made some small talk. Then he looked over at the rods laying on the ground and told me he would have to cite me because I was fishing with 4 rods. I actually laughed at first because I knew he must be joking. He then proceeded to tell me that since my bait was in the water, it classified as fishing. I looked down at the rods and yes, the baits were touching the water. Both the fluke and worm were a full 5 inches into the water.
Since I was fishing from shore I had let the fluke and worm stay in the water rather than have them lay on the dirt. I have always done this with my plastics because it was much easier than removing the bait and placing the hook through an eyelet.
To say I was mad would be an understatement. It is ridiculous that anyone would consider that fishing. I did however not blow up on the guy until I already had a ticket in my hand.
Okay, the vent is over...you may now return to your regularly scheduled program
Old 09-30-08, 05:25 PM   #2
Bob Smith

Wow! now that is freakin absurd! I hope you are going to the local judge and fight it? There is no way that a reasonable judge will consider that fishing. Who knows, the judge may know a thing or two about bassfishing?
Old 09-30-08, 05:25 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you ahve GOT to be kidding me!!! FOR REAL? A TICKET?!?! that is what i call a warden that is in dire need of a bow job. or and a$$ kicking. sorry pal. i would report him to his bosses. that is terrible.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 05:31 PM   #4
cassidyta

I am fighting the ticket and the minimum $100 fine. I am fortunate that I was smart enough to take a camera phone picture of the rods and bait while he was there. I even have his boots and green trousers in the shot.
I didn't see the advantage in coming to blows with him, but I did tell him that writing me a ticket to feel like a man would not make up for his obvious deficiencies in the bedroom.
I then asked him if he got into this line of work because "Do you want fries with that" was to confusing.
I am not too worried that I will get the fine, but come on. If you are a fishing Warden, you should at least have a clue what fishing is.
Old 09-30-08, 06:17 PM   #5
Jim80

wow is all i gotta say man that's just crazy .

Jim
Old 09-30-08, 06:44 PM   #6
zooker

hate to point this out but #1 your lures were IN the water. hence it is classified as fishing..the man in green did his job..he probly would have let ya off but was in a "i am a dyck" mood..

what i find stupid is you have to pruchase a more than one rod at a time permit?? that is the dumbest crap i have ever heard of..-um don't go letting the east coast hear about this...

zooker
Old 09-30-08, 07:29 PM   #7
cassidyta

Zook I agree with you that they were in the water, but based off of the CA definition of fishing. "attempting to take a fish by line in hand or a rod with line attached that the fish may voluntarily take the bait" I will try to argue that based off the location of my rods and bait, I was not making any attempt to "take a fish" with those rods.
Old 09-30-08, 09:17 PM   #8
Jim80

It's most likely a case of the guy having a case of the " I'm wearing a uniform and your not " attitude
Old 09-30-08, 10:14 PM   #9
flbassman

Wow thats a load of crap......There's that "left coast logic" Just messin with ya.....

On a side note, my favorite cop story ever. My Uncle gets pulled over, and has the following conversation-

"Yeah, man, I really thought about goin into the police force." -Uncle

"Why'd you decide not to?" -Cop

"Figured I'd finish High School instead......" -My Uncle Yeah, he got a ticket
Old 09-30-08, 11:22 PM   #10
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

You know I have to agree with all of the above. No matter who or where there always seems to be someone who wants to show that they are in charge. I have a great deal of respect for the guys in green. But there is always two ways to approach a situation and personally I don't think this one was handled right by the officer. A warning concerning the letter of the law and a good evening more than likely would have taken care of it and ended in a much better way. We had an officer approach us a couple of years ago as a few of the guys from the bass club decided to go trout fishing at a wildlife area. The officer waited till we were walking to our cars and then started asking questions about numbers of trout and license. As it turned out, the president of our club had forgot his license. The guy could have been an absolute jerk but instead, he told my guy to call him with the license number the next day and it would all be fine. Canada, now they are a little different there, but that is another story.
Good luck with the ticket, it would be nice if you could get the law changed cause I sure don't get it.
Bob
Old 10-01-08, 09:27 AM   #11
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
hate to point this out but #1 your lures were IN the water. hence it is classified as fishing..the man in green did his job..he probly would have let ya off but was in a "i am a dyck" mood..

what i find stupid is you have to pruchase a more than one rod at a time permit?? that is the dumbest crap i have ever heard of..-um don't go letting the east coast hear about this...

zooker
Well thatz because there are allot same sex relationships & Peta people out in the land of pretend. I'd fight it. Bet 10 bucks the officer in question was one of the above.
Old 10-01-08, 10:51 AM   #12
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Zook has a point and it is not the wardens job to interpret the law just enforce it. It is the judges job to interprit. Dont submit. Go to the hearing and calmly and factually state your case. It might be a good idea to write down the exact detail now while it is all fresh in your mind.Good luck , it sounds like a stupid law anyway. I would think it was originally made for live bait. Fish2win
Old 10-01-08, 11:53 AM   #13
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing View Post
Zoo has a point and it is not the wardens job to interpret the law just enforce it. It is the judges job to interpret. Dont submit. Go to the hearing and calmly and factually state your case. It might be a good idea to write down the exact detail now while it is all fresh in your mind.Good luck , it sounds like a stupid law anyway. I would think it was originally made for live bait. Fish2win
I don't agree. I think the warden has a responsibility to use his judgment on whom to write a ticket. I would almost bet that he will get out of that ticket. So in the end the warden: knew he wasn't fishing with those poles, yet he wrote him a ticket, for which if he protests he will probably have to take a day off work, a judge has to see him, taxpayer resources will be wasted on something totally unnecessary.

If you end up having to pay that fine, move away from that gay *** state. The whole 2nd pole permit sounds like a bunch of hippity hoop la to me anyway.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 01:25 PM   #14
cassidyta

Trust me Doc, I have considered moving for years. That being said, I married a California woman who has close ties to her family.
I sent the forms in last night to protest the fine and infraction. I may end up having to pay the fine, but I will at least go down swinging.
Old 10-01-08, 03:00 PM   #15
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
Well thatz because there are allot same sex relationships & Peta people out in the land of pretend. I'd fight it. Bet 10 bucks the officer in question was one of the above.
awfully judgemental for such a self proclaimed christian.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 03:10 PM   #16
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

what i find stupid is you have to purchase a more than one rod at a time permit?? that is the dumbest crap i have ever heard of.

zooker

agreed, especially since they passed the legislation to allow 2 rods to marry, you would figure using 2 rods would be perfectly acceptable in that state.

Hey lowrider that charging for a 2nd pole would never work down here

Old 10-01-08, 03:16 PM   #17
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yup, the crappie fishermen would revolt.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 03:22 PM   #18
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
awfully judgemental for such a self proclaimed christian.
Yeahh i have my daily struggles. Who ever said christians are perfect. I regret it. It's Obivous the DNR law was written by sombody who does'nt favor fishermen. This kinda of stuff boils me to a point where somtimes i loose it. Nobody is perfect. Except for the Zook!!! Besides thatz between me & lord now is'nt it.
Old 10-01-08, 04:23 PM   #19
cassidyta

For the record, the proposition for marriage is on the ballot, but has not been voted in as of yet.
I will not attempt to defend the state on any of their policies and laws.
I will say that you can not judge the whole state by what you read or see on the news. I have met great people and @$$es in every color, economic, and geograhical category.
All of that being said, I am more than open to good hearted fun about where I choose to live.

As far as reasons to at least fish here,
I will point out that on BassMaster list of the biggest LMB ever recorded, this state has has produced 21 of them. I am fortunate that my county has put 10 of them on the list.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/b...bass_top25list

Of course for me, I might as well be fishing for loch ness as a 20lbs bass I would imagine I have about as good of a shot on either lately.
Old 10-01-08, 04:51 PM   #20
Fish2win

"I don't agree. I think the warden has a responsibility to use his judgment on whom to write a ticket"
Thats what makes this bankrupt nation great. We can disagree. We have elected officials that interprit the laws. Do you really want every County Mounty, State Trooper( and a game warden comes under the same authority as a State Trooper) Debuty Sheriff or Police officer of any municapality interpriting and decideing who is breaking the law and who is not? That is why we even have a judicial system and trials.
Here is another example.
You shoot a deer right at dark and it runs before it dies. You start looking for it and it gets dark. You get a light and continue to look for it ,the whole time carrying a loaded weapon across your shoulder. A game warden comes upon you and charges you with spot lighting deer. The law says you cannot carry that weapon loaded in the woods and a light at the same time. You were not actually hunting just trying to find your deer. Should he make the determination as to if you are guilty or not? He finds another guy in the same situation that says he is looking for his deer. This guy is useing the excuse. In neither situation was there a deer to be seen. How can he make that determination?
It is not the hired officers place to decide guilt. It is the officers place to enforce the law as written ?Fish2win
Old 10-01-08, 05:01 PM   #21
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win View Post
"I don't agree. I think the warden has a responsibility to use his judgment on whom to write a ticket"
Thats what makes this bankrupt nation great. We can disagree. We have elected officials that interprit the laws. Do you really want every County Mounty, State Trooper( and a game warden comes under the same authority as a State Trooper) Debuty Sheriff or Police officer of any municapality interpriting and decideing who is breaking the law and who is not? That is why we even have a judicial system and trials.
Here is another example.
You shoot a deer right at dark and it runs before it dies. You start looking for it and it gets dark. You get a light and continue to look for it ,the whole time carrying a loaded weapon across your shoulder. A game warden comes upon you and charges you with spot lighting deer. The law says you cannot carry that weapon loaded in the woods and a light at the same time. You were not actually hunting just trying to find your deer. Should he make the determination as to if you are guilty or not? He finds another guy in the same situation that says he is looking for his deer. This guy is useing the excuse. In neither situation was there a deer to be seen. How can he make that determination?
It is not the hired officers place to decide guilt. It is the officers place to enforce the law as written ?Fish2win
SHOW THE WARDEN THE BLOOD TRAIL
Yes he absloutely should make the detemination based on what you are doing and save the overloaded judicial system and taxpayers some headache. He should look at the evidence on hand and use common sense before charging someone.

Does a policeman not decide wether to write a traffic ticket or not?
By not writing him a ticket he would not be deciding whom is and is not guilty, he would be using the obvious around him to save his state some taxdollars.
Old 10-01-08, 06:14 PM   #22
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
Nobody is perfect. Except for the Zook!!!

i never have been perfect..and you can quote me on that..

zooker
Old 10-02-08, 09:10 AM   #23
Lilmoosecountry

Zook i'm just kidding.
Old 10-02-08, 09:52 AM   #24
Fish2win

Lillmoosecountry said " Yeahh i have my daily struggles. Who ever said christians are perfect."

Good Point, Christians are not perfect. Only the first christian( Jesus ) was. They are not perfect they are forgiven. Fish2win
Old 10-02-08, 05:03 PM   #25
zooker

religon is defined as desprate poeple searchin for hope..hope is the denial of reality..

now go ahead and debate this one....i dare ya..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.