Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-13-11, 02:38 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thumbs up May have finally found a ladder

After my warm weather dunking a couple years ago, I've been searching far and wide for a good emergency ladder. Climbing back in a boat with wet clothes on can be tough even for skinny guys. For me, it's not happening. LOL, Cmorg ended up dragging me with the trolling motor to the shallows to climb back in.

Triton and Ranger were offering a cool ladder that actually pops out of the transom when you need it, but they only sold them as part of an OEM boat...no aftermarket units.

Well, it looks like they finally made one for the aftermarket.

(click picture for details)

This thing is slick, even though it looks like more major surgery for the boat. It looks like you just cut a round hole through the transom, and all the way forward through any flotation foam you might have.

I've already figured out how to put backing plates behind it. I figure I'll have to match the exterior plate, cut it in half, and put each plate through the hole separately, and "glue" it in place with marine caulk. I'll have to make two of these backing plates (4 pieces), and make the "splits" in opposite directions; i.e. one vertical, and one horizontal, so as to overlap. All of the bolts should be tied into all of the others that way.

This should make me feel much safer in colder water. I hate hearing horror stories of drowned winter anglers.
Old 02-13-11, 04:35 PM   #2
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That looks like it will be a nice clean look when not deployed. I would say though , that the install will be a booger.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 04:48 PM   #3
bamabassman

so this bar slides into a sleeve when not in use? or what? confused a little here. and do you have to cut a hole somewhere to install it? and where would you install it? i am for real here. i didn't see and details on installation.
Old 02-13-11, 04:57 PM   #4
bassboogieman

Do you have a jackplate? I put an e-ladder on mine, bolts right to the jackplate. I can move it to another boat if I ever buy another that does not have one. Installation took about 10 minutes, and I didn't have to cust any holes in my transom.....
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 05:07 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Bama,

It does indeed slide into a sleeve when not in use.

You can see the sleeve to the left.

Boogie,

No, I do not have a jack plate. I have looked at those e-ladders, and they don't actually look too easy to use. There isn't much on my boat to grab while you climb. Have you ever actually boarded with yours? I'm just trying to imagine 40 degree water, numb fingers and feet.
Old 02-13-11, 05:20 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

My Triton has the Res Q ladder which is pretty much the same thing as this ladder. I haven't had to use it but I have deployed it a few times on the trailer to show it off to friends lol. It's a very cool idea and it looks very clean when it's not deployed. Very functional for sure!
Old 02-13-11, 05:30 PM   #7
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
My Triton has the Res Q ladder which is pretty much the same thing as this ladder. I haven't had to use it but I have deployed it a few times on the trailer to show it off to friends lol. It's a very cool idea and it looks very clean when it's not deployed. Very functional for sure!
I have on my Triton as well. I've even used it just to see how it works, and it works well. (but it is cool to show off!)
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 05:43 PM   #8
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It looks like it should work well. I do wonder why it doesn't come with a strong backing plate. I would get some 1/4 inch aluminum plate cut in a square about 6" X 6" then use a hole saw to drill a circle in it, line it up and mark the screw holes.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 06:11 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
It looks like it should work well. I do wonder why it doesn't come with a strong backing plate. I would get some 1/4 inch aluminum plate cut in a square about 6" X 6" then use a hole saw to drill a circle in it, line it up and mark the screw holes.
That is how you would do it if you were putting it in as you built the boat.

I will have to cut a circular hole through my hull. The sleeve will run through a cylindrical hole I cut through my flotation foam and the front wall of the cell. I'll have to put a backing plate through a hole smaller than the plate. Hence, my two-layer, 4-piece backing plate. Picture a big washer cut in half vertically. Now stack it with another washer cut in half, but horizontally. Each piece can be stuck through the hole, and then laid flat against the inside of the hull.

Remember, I would never try this with a fiberglass hull.
Old 02-13-11, 10:09 PM   #10
bamabassman

your last sentence told me what i needed to know bryce. thanks man.
Old 02-13-11, 10:27 PM   #11
flfireman

Looks cool, I use my motor to help me. Got the trim switch on the side. Just get on and raise it up. Done it once, hopefully won't need to again.
Old 02-13-11, 11:41 PM   #12
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yep, that would not work if there is foam in that area. My boat doesn't have any foam in the rear section where this would mount.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 06:52 PM   #13
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bryce, like I said earlier, I'm putting a handle on mine this year to help me climb in with my ladder, plus something to walk on. (Non slip cover of some sort) It might not look pretty, but I won't have to fall back into the water from the wax on the back deck either, or do the spilts again. (that hurts like hell)
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.