Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-11, 10:38 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What size anchor ?

I was thinking about getting one of the anchor systems mentioned in another thread. But after everyones thoughts and a few thoughts of my own , I decided to just get the tried and true. Now my question is what size and type ? I fish lakes , my boat is a 17' bass tracker aluminum boat. Two of those mushroom type 8#'s tied together will not stop this boat , or even slow it down in the wind. I want to be able to stay in place during a normal indiana spring 20MPH wind. What ever shall I do ??
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 11:08 PM   #2
MIbasser

get a 10 lb fluke style with an 8' chain if you want to stay in one place. I have an 8lb mushroom just to be legal for my 17' glass Triton. Or, get a power pole.....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:02 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
get a 10 lb fluke style with an 8' chain if you want to stay in one place. I have an 8lb mushroom just to be legal for my 17' glass Triton. Or, get a power pole.....
I have an anchor for my Triton 21X that is probably only 2lbs and I am pretty sure it was designed for kayaks or canoes. I got it just to be legal, and although I haven't read the states laws in it's entirety to be sure I am legal, I can atleast say I have an anchor in my boat if I am checked lol. I just didn't want a heavy anchor banging around in the boat to tear something up.

To hold your boat in place, I really don't know what to tell you. I really would have thought that an 8lb mushroom anchor would be able to hold your boat no heavier than it is.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 09:53 AM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For small anchors to work, they have to hook something as in a large rock, dock cable etc./ Then they can be hard to get back. I brisck wind can drag my mushroom across the bottom of a sand lake and leave a new ditch there. The only anchors that work a lot better are the dig in style. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...ng/_/N-1100644
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 04:50 PM   #5
CMorg

Are the dig in styles hard to get back ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 05:02 PM   #6
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the ones that have a slip chain or loop, work great once you move the boat to pull them up. You have to idle or troll past the anchor and pull it in the opisite direction.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 05:23 PM   #7
cassidyta

CMorg,

Having a 17' tracker, I can feel your pain. The biggest issue I have with an anchor big enough to stop me in the wind is the fact that it takes up so much space.

I ended up buying two anchors 1 mushroom and 1 similar to the one proreel showed. I only carry the big one in the boat when the weather is calling for a lot of wind. I have gotten out and wished I brought the big anchor, but not too often.
Most of the time, the 15lbs mushroom anchor will work just fine for me.
Old 02-15-11, 06:11 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use the one pro reel posted, but i got mine at wally world. forget the price. sorry.
Old 02-15-11, 06:49 PM   #9
nobass

i made a couple years ago that work well. i was fishing in a really snagy area and did not want to lose a good anchor. was cheap to make and it was the days before i could afford trolling motor. take i gallon can or plastic milk jug some old r bar or pipe put holes in jug just big enough for pipe and then fill jug with cement mix and fill with water. if it gets snag cut rope. other than that a mushroom type will not hold need type shown in other reply
Old 02-16-11, 10:00 AM   #10
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am not sure I would reccomend a Fluke anchor for a Bass boat they are designed for sandy bottom like the Ocean or Bay. I think that on a bass boat with all the cover and type of bottom on most lakes they wouldnt dig in the way they are intended. I have lost two of them to Davy jones locker on the bay by hooking them on Reefs and other artificial structures and I think that it would be so much worse on a lake. just my .02
BTW..... holding any boat in 20 mph wind is gonna be hard..
Jerry

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.